How is the Swiftech 240x?

Guest Palurien85

I was looking at the Swiftech 240x for aio cooling. I have heard great things about it but also terrible. It seems though that most the bad reviews were before they changed there design. I was just wondering if anyone knows how they are now with the new design with the led block and visible reservoir?

I know they are $150 and I could probably get another for less. I just like the block best, and like that I can refill it down the road so it can last longer. Also I am guessing its good they have metal fittings, since most others are plastic.

I was looking at the Swiftech 240x for aio cooling. I have heard great things about it but also terrible. It seems though that most the bad reviews were before they changed there design. I was just wondering if anyone knows how they are now with the new design with the led block and visible reservoir?

I know they are $150 and I could probably get another for less. I just like the block best, and like that I can refill it down the road so it can last longer. Also I am guessing its good they have metal fittings, since most others are plastic.

A high-performance AIO producing low noise and room for upgradability in the future. Go for it!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Seems most of the complaints are cracked reservoirs and contaminated coolant. Cracked reservoir window is bad, but coolant can be easily refilled with distilled water.

Mine is perfectly fine. However, the fittings, or burbs are half metal, half plastic. I replace them with EK and Monsoon compression fittings. If you can find it with decent price and want the option to expand later. It's a very good AIO.

The best thing I like about this AIO is the pump. It's a slower, 3,000rpm version of the powerful MCP50X pump. Even at 2,000rpm, it's powerful enough to push two water blocks and two 240 rad, while being very quiet. And you can easily use the mobo fan curve to adjust the pump speed according to CPU temp.

Seems most of the complaints are cracked reservoirs and contaminated coolant. Cracked reservoir window is bad, but coolant can be easily refilled with distilled water.

Mine is perfectly fine. However, the fittings, or burbs are half metal, half plastic. I replace them with EK and Monsoon compression fittings. If you can find it with decent price and want the option to expand later. It's a very good AIO.

The best thing I like about this AIO is the pump. It's a slower, 3,000rpm version of the powerful MCP50X pump. Even at 2,000rpm, it's powerful enough to push two water blocks and two 240 rad, while being very quiet. And you can easily use the mobo fan curve to adjust the pump speed according to CPU temp.

The newer version fix the cracking window issue.  

The newer version fix the cracking window issue.  

Good to hear they fix it.

It's not a particularly efficient purchase from a cost perspective, and it takes up an insane amount of room which can be a big concern for a midtower, but that doesn't stop it from being a very good aio.

It's best benefit however is being halfway to true custom loop and allowing expansion (although I've only seen perhaps 3 builds that actually did that.)

I would recommend a x61 over it or h110i gtx.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

• 2 weeks later...

The H240x not only outperforms most other aio's, but it is expandable.  It is a far better purchase for hte price than a X61 kraken,  h100, etc that cannot be modified in anyway.   The pump is strong and is used in custom loops to drive multi block setups.   You can put new fittings on this unit too!, lets see a kraken or corsair do that!

What about the EK Predator 240mm or 360mm, that is a lot better in quality

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

The H240x not only outperforms most other aio's, but it is expandable.  It is a far better purchase for hte price than a X61 kraken,  h100, etc that cannot be modified in anyway.   The pump is strong and is used in custom loops to drive multi block setups.   You can put new fittings on this unit too!, lets see a kraken or corsair do that!

When it costs 30% more and 99% of users won't actually use it for expand-ability, AND it's design massively limits compatibility even beyond how limited 280mm rads are in the first place, no it isn't a better purchase for the price. It's very nice, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for most people.

What about the EK Predator 240mm or 360mm, that is a lot better in quality

I would hazard to say the build quality is very on par, but the EK model other compatibility issues (not to mention 280mm aio's ALWAYS out preform 240s, and are basically identical to 360mm runs). The EK does however have a much sleeker profile without that under rad pump, so that is helpful.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

When it costs 30% more and 99% of users won't actually use it for expand-ability, AND it's design massively limits compatibility even beyond how limited 280mm rads are in the first place, no it isn't a better purchase for the price. It's very nice, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for most people.

I would hazard to say the build quality is very on par, but the EK model other compatibility issues (not to mention 280mm aio's ALWAYS out preform 240s, and are basically identical to 360mm runs). The EK does however have a much sleeker profile without that under rad pump, so that is helpful.

Well actually the EK Predator beats the Swiftech or they have the same performance.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Well actually the EK Predator beats the Swiftech or they have the same performance.

Not true whatsoever.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ek_predator_240_aio_liquid_cooling_review,10.html

And the h240-x is better than the h110i gt by a good 3-4C.

Hell it's not even the best or near the best 240mm aio...

http://www.legitreviews.com/ekwb-predator-240-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-review_171968/6

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

This is what Techpowerup got on the review

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EKWB/Predator_240/6.html

This is what Techpowerup got on the review

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EKWB/Predator_240/6.html

And it NEVER BEAT THE H240-X. It tied on some charts, but literally NEVER won. Still worse as all the other review indicate.

Don't even get me started on the pricing...

Look. EK makes a lot of great stuff. That doesn't mean these AIO's are actually great. Because they are not.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

And it NEVER BEAT THE H240-X. It tied on some charts, but literally NEVER won. Still worse as all the other review indicate.

Don't even get me started on the pricing...

Look. EK makes a lot of great stuff. That doesn't mean these AIO's are actually great. Because they are not.

It depends really, the quality is a lot better than the Swiftech, you do not have to refill it

I do agree the price is a lot higher but that is because of the quality, if price is not an issue, get the EK Predator 360mm as it will beat all the other AIO coolers

Not true whatsoever.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ek_predator_240_aio_liquid_cooling_review,10.html

And the h240-x is better than the h110i gt by a good 3-4C.

Hell it's not even the best or near the best 240mm aio...

http://www.legitreviews.com/ekwb-predator-240-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler-review_171968/6

Don't read into those tests too much. You do notice not all the review sites give the product the same rank. First they test the AIO with 100% fan speed. How many people will actually run their AIO at 100% fan speed. Don't forget some of them are equipped with 2,200rpm fan, some are 1,800rpm or whatever. I prefer Linus's method by standardize using NF-F12 for all the tests. So we know the performance of the coolers, rather than the fans. Second, those reviews usually only test one sample. And sample variations come to play. Especially many AIOs are only a few degree between each other. For instance, a small variation of the flatness of the cold plates and IHS can easily make a difference of 2-3*C.

It depends really, the quality is a lot better than the Swiftech, you do not have to refill it

I do agree the price is a lot higher but that is because of the quality, if price is not an issue, get the EK Predator 360mm as it will beat all the other AIO coolers

I won't say the quality is a lot better with EK. I had the H220-X, and now using, interestingly, EK PE 240 rad and EK water block with Swiftech pump. Th Swiftech H220-X rad is also full copper. Water block is OK. While the pump is very, very quiet under 2,200rpm. The pump is the same size as EK's DDC used in the Predator.

Who says you need to refill the H220-X?

I won't say the quality is a lot better with EK. I had the H220-X, and now using, interestingly, EK PE 240 rad and EK water block with Swiftech pump. Th Swiftech H220-X rad is also full copper. Water block is OK. While the pump is very, very quiet under 2,200rpm. The pump is the same size as EK's DDC used in the Predator.

Who says you need to refill the H220-X?

It is after 3 years, it says on Swiftechs website I think

It is after 3 years, it says on Swiftechs website I think

No coolant will last forever. Generally it is recommended you need to replace the coolant in custom loop every 1-2 years. EK is no exception, unless EK suddenly comes up with some magic coolant no body knows.

No coolant will last forever. Generally it is recommended you need to replace the coolant in custom loop every 1-2 years. EK is no exception, unless EK suddenly comes up with some magic coolant no body knows.

Will be interesting if we ever get an LN2 AIO

Will be interesting if we ever get an LN2 AIO

I really do not see that happening, there are so many other thing (condensation for one) you need to consider with ln2.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a chip in the future so efficient you dont even need a cooler.

I really do not see that happening, there are so many other thing (condensation for one) you need to consider with ln2.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a chip in the future so efficient you dont even need a cooler.

I know but someone might do it, with a high price though

That would be good, overclocking so high that you still do not need a cooler, that will be a long time :)