Corsair DDR4 Help!

Hi all,

I'm having trouble choosing the right ddr4 ram. I'm a noob and I don't really understand the difference between c14, c15, 16 or 2400, 2666, 2800 etc...

I've been looking at 3 kits by corsair which are priced roughly the same but I'm sure there's some differences which I don't understand. These are the kits:

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2666C15 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 15-17-17-35

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4A2800C16 16GB (4x4GB) 2800MHz DDR4  16-18-18-36,

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 14-16-16-31 (slightlyy more expensive due to the extra gb)

If anyone could help explain the differences and let me know which is all around better it would be a great help.

Thanks.

look for the lower CAS RAM over faster MHz RAMs

also look away from the Dominators and look at the cheaper models

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

RAM is RAM, Dominator Platinum are one of the most expensive type of memory.

The difference between the speeds make almost no difference in performance, unless doing media creation.

Just get whatever is the cheapest, you don't even need to get Dominator Platinum, they are so expensive because of their appearance. 

You don't need 32GB, just get 16GB.

If you really want Dominator Platinum, go for 2400mhz 16GB.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

RAM speed and latency barely impact gaming performance so just go with whatever kit is the cheapest.

Higher Speed is good

Higher Latency (example c16) is bad

Okay thanks guys I think I understand. I was going for the dominators because there the only ddr4 memory that go with my white build. I found these other modules here: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 would it be a good choice if I bought 2 of them for 16 gbs? And does having less modules run worse than less? For example 4x8gb for 32gb vs 8x4?

Sorry for all the questions

Okay thanks guys I think I understand. I was going for the dominators because there the only ddr4 memory that go with my white build. I found these other modules here: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 would it be a good choice if I bought 2 of them for 16 gbs? And does having less modules run worse than less? For example 4x8gb for 32gb vs 8x4?

Sorry for all the questions

Feel free to buy just a single 2x8Gb kit (Dual Channel) now and upgrade with a second kit later if you find yourself actually using that much RAM.

I upgraded to 16GB of RAM a few years back and I rarely see my RAM usage ever go beyond 50% even under load. But then, I don't do heavy content creation.

Don't bother with the Quad-Channel since it's really only going to matter on the X99 platform and only in heavy content creation.

If you're going into Z170 (Skylake), Dual Channel is what it supports and will be more than enough for just about anything you can throw at it.

Just get a nice SSD as non-volatile storage is usually the real bottleneck in modern systems.

---