Norway considering LAN-Party Tax

MariusJS

After Swedens politicians was "smart" enough to intoduce LAN-Party tax, the Norwegian governourment has found out that they also want to be as "smart", and made the choice and consider the same thing :(

As some of you may know, Sweden has "Dreamhack", and Norway has got "The Gathering" and the newly introduced "LAN EXPO" 

http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/kan-bli-avgift-for-a-arrangere-lan-1.11180834

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

And for what reason do they consider it reasonable to tax someone because they use LAN. LAN has nothing to do with the internet or governments services so why exactly do they feel the need to tax us. What next a tax on air.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Taxing people's fun, good lord. LAN doesn't effect the government in any way, everything's money money money.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

And for what reason do they consider it reasonable to tax someone because they use LAN. LAN has nothing to do with the internet or governments services so why exactly do they feel the need to tax us. What next a tax on air.

Tax on lanPARTY, so the actual event, not your home LAN :P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Hehe, it's "legal robbery". Either you got corruption or you got legal robbery. No matter where you are from, you're being fucked everywhere ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Well Sweden also have this:

Radio- and TV fee for computers and tablets

If you can receive television sent online on devices such as computers or tablets, then you are liable to pay the radio and TV fee.

We are the best country to live in if you like to pay taxes

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

Well Sweden also have this:

Radio- and TV fee for computers and tablets

If you can receive television sent online on devices such as computers or tablets, then you are liable to pay the radio and TV fee.

We are the best country to live in if you like to pay taxes

Yeah, our politicians is considering that here in Norway too :(

No, it was considered but they decided not to do it. There will not be a TV license on devices other than TVs. I think they won't tax the Lan parties either, for the same reasons. 'Considering' doesn't equal 'gonna do it'.

Norway likes to be progressive and support anything that involves technology, not the opposite, I figure chances of a LAN party tax is 20%, and if they do it it'll be for a good reason, like local pollution (6000 temporary increase in population in a town of 20.000 people (Lillehammer) does matter, and so does the huge amount of electricity they consume at the time)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

And now they are denying that they ever considered it.

http://www.hardware.no/artikler/nekter-for-at-norge-skal-fa-lan-avgift/136364

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

And now they are denying that they ever considered it.

http://www.hardware.no/artikler/nekter-for-at-norge-skal-fa-lan-avgift/136364

Yeah, but our politicians always lie about everything anyways... :S

No, it was considered but they decided not to do it. There will not be a TV license on devices other than TVs. I think they won't tax the Lan parties either, for the same reasons. 'Considering' doesn't equal 'gonna do it'.

Norway likes to be progressive and support anything that involves technology, not the opposite, I figure chances of a LAN party tax is 20%, and if they do it it'll be for a good reason, like local pollution (6000 temporary increase in population in a town of 20.000 people (Lillehammer) does matter, and so does the huge amount of electricity they consume at the time)

How?

They did not answear Facebook when they wanted to build an server park worth millions, and they didn't answear CERN about almost the same thing either, borh would be a HUGE deal for IT in Norway, but the politicians don't gave a shit :(

Even if you are at a LAN event why exactly should it be illegal. The event and the resources you are using have nothing to do with the governments services that it provides. If anything the government should be paying those who go to LAN events as it increases tourism.

The fact they are considering it is bad enough.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

How?

They did not answear Facebook when they wanted to build an server park worth millions, and they didn't answear CERN about almost the same thing either, borh would be a HUGE deal for IT in Norway, but the politicians don't gave a shit :(

The Facebook server park was considering Norway, they chose to go with another option, Norway was just a candidate and I don't believe the government had anything to do with it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The Facebook server park was considering Norway, they chose to go with another option, Norway was just a candidate and I don't believe the government had anything to do with it.

Yes, they asked the government, but didn't get an answear, then they asked Sweden, which helped fund the thing!

I find it staggering that a LAN event is not taxable already, just like all other commercial gatherings, such as festivals, conventions and sports tournaments, if the event is selling tickets then why should they not be taxed on any profit like the rest of the industry, prizes for winners are normally taxable too, (if you win Wimbledon you have to pay tax on the prize) and taxes on any wages paid to workers, seems pretty standard.

Or are they proposing an additional tax purely because it is a LAN event? because that would be preposterous, and probably illegal.

I find it staggering that a LAN event is not taxable already, just like all other commercial gatherings, such as festivals, conventions and sports tournaments, if the event is selling tickets then why should they not be taxed on any profit like the rest of the industry, prizes for winners are normally taxable too, (if you win Wimbledon you have to pay tax on the prize) and taxes on any wages paid to workers, seems pretty standard.

Or are they proposing an additional tax purely because it is a LAN event? because that would be preposterous, and probably illegal.

In Sweden it is straigth out 300 SEK = about 70$/ person if it is more than 10 participants!

seems like the news are wrong thank  god

Yes, and no, he says they are considering it, but it is probably not going to pass!

Wow this will discourage people to join lan parties unless lan parties have sweet giveaways and promos that will attract players to join even though they have to pay the taxes.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I am norwegian and if this will be true there will be no more small lans! We NEED TO SET A STOP TO THIS!!!!!!!

I see there is no facebookgroup for this yet (correct me if I am wrong).

I know facebook sucks, but it has been proven it sometimes work.

If noone else make a group I WILL! calling it:          "nei til LAN-avgift i Norge"

I am norwegian and if this will be true there will be no more small lans! We NEED TO SET A STOP TO THIS!!!!!!!

I see there is no facebookgroup for this yet (correct me if I am wrong).

I know facebook sucks, but it has been proven it sometimes work.

If noone else make a group I WILL! calling it:          "nei til LAN-avgift i Norge"

Do it already :P

I didn't read many responses, but if they're operating like businesses they should be taxed like one too.  Or like events similar to a carnival.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers