Just got a pop-up from COX about "Zeus virus"

z123killer

I was in the thesaurs website, and I got a pop-up from cox claiming that I have "zeus virus". But I was so stupid that I clicked on a link , there was two links one that says something like "click here" and the other at the bottom that said "learn about cox alerts" I clicked on the one that says "learn about cox alerts". What should I do now??

you don't have a virus

well, you probably didn't...

now you do

install Malwarebytes and scan, also run a Windows Defender scan

I was in the thesaurs website, and I got a pop-up from cox claiming that I have "zeus virus". But I was so stupid that I clicked on a link , there was two links one that says something like "click here" and the other at the bottom that said "learn about cox alerts" I clicked on the one that says "learn about cox alerts". What should I do now??

Why no adblock bro

and pics?

You don't click on those links. Ever.

Run a virus scan.

You don't click on those links. Ever.

Run a virus scan.

I know I didn't pay attention

Windows defender should block it, but run a scan with it

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

you don't have a virus

well, you probably didn't...

now you do

install Malwarebytes and scan, also run a Windows Defender scan

I am currently scanning in malwarebytes

Looks like Cox actually gives out warnings about the zeus virus...

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=9e960f50-c2ae-11e4-52f6-000000000000

However, it could easily be spam or worse.

Scan with Malwarebytes, and a good antivirus (AVG and Avast are decent free ones), and run scans on all the PC's on your network.  It might not necessarily be your own computer.

Also, if your WiFi isn't secured or is shared with other people, it could be someone else connected to it.

I don't want to use adblock, but this is part of the reason I do. 

That and me having the ability to support sites I want, and not support sites I don't like gives me some small amount of satisfaction/power. 

i.e : i love LTT, so their forums and channel are whitelisted, same goes for tek syndicate, teamfourstar, and several others.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=9e960f50-c2ae-11e4-52f6-000000000000

Scan with Malwarebytes, and a good antivirus (AVG and Avast are decent free ones), and run scans on all the PC's on your network.  It might not necessarily be your own computer.

Also, if your WiFi isn't secured or is shared with other people, it could be someone else connected to it.

I dont have any other pcs but I have a tablet that is connected to the network, a streaming device and a playsation

Oh man, did you make an account just to answer this question? -member since 14 minutes ago- or just a happy coincidence? 

w/e, welcome to the forum man!

Edit: Oh, i think I've had too much wine today... *OP posted two minutes ago* *You created an account 14 minutes ago...*

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I don't want to use adblock, but this is part of the reason I do. 

That and me having the ability to support sites I want, and not support sites I don't like gives me some small amount of satisfaction/power. 

i.e : i love LTT, so their forums and channel are whitelisted, same goes for tek syndicate, teamfourstar, and several others.

which adblock do you use?

Oh man, did you make an account just to answer this question? -member since 14 minutes ago- or just a happy coincidence? 

w/e, welcome to the forum man!

i didn't notice that, thanks +themorphinator and welcome to the forum

which adblock do you use?

I use standard adblock, as well as a chrome script that allows me to whitelist youtube channels to disable adblock.

*Note, standard, original adblock, not the shitty popular "Super Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" which both allow companies to buy slots to bypass their adblocking. If you're going to support someone, support the company that isn't morally corrupt and lying to your face.

I use standard adblock, as well as a chrome script that allows me to whitelist youtube channels to disable adblock.

*Note, standard, original adblock, not the shitty popular "Super Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" which both allow companies to buy slots to bypass their adblocking. If you're going to support someone, support the company that isn't morally corrupt and lying to your face.

so is it that one https://getadblock.com/

so is it that one https://getadblock.com/

Yup, its not the original, but its as close as you can get. And they at least don't allow companies to pay to bypass.

Yup, its not the original, but its as close as you can get. And they at least don't allow companies to pay to bypass.

ok thanks, and what anti virus do you use?

Ya, if your isp pops up with some random message like "Oh, you were torrenting on so and so date, or you have virus."  That's just adware scams.  ISPs call and send you official letters/emails.

yeah, i know but I wasn't paying attention. now I have to do all kinds of scans.

ok thanks, and what anti virus do you use?

I run Avast Antivirus, I bought a pack of keys for like 25$ on G2a some time back, and its a decent program that does all it needs to without bugging me to update or warn me of things I download. I'm tech savy enough to know something is wrong, and know what I'm downloading. 

I'd rec. something cheaper though, as avast can be pricey. As much as I hate to admit it, Norton has some great protection, but it nags the fuck out of you. Malwarebytes even the free version have some awesome features, and superantispyware has a renown scanner for detecting problems.

I run Avast Antivirus, I bought a pack of keys for like 25$ on G2a some time back, and its a decent program that does all it needs to without bugging me to update or warn me of things I download. I'm tech savy enough to know something is wrong, and know what I'm downloading. 

I'd rec. something cheaper though, as avast can be pricey. As much as I hate to admit it, Norton has some great protection, but it nags the fuck out of you. Malwarebytes even the free version have some awesome features, and superantispyware has a renown scanner for detecting problems.

is the free version of avast good? I already have malwarebytes. And I heard that superantispyware is a scam.

is the free version of avast good? I already have malwarebytes. And I heard that superantispyware is a scam.

A scam? Not really. The free version of the scanner is totally fine, just don't bother paying, you don't get a whole lot for it. 

And yes, the free version is perfectly adequate for standard use.

A scam? Not really. The free version of the scanner is totally fine, just don't bother paying, you don't get a whole lot for it. 

And yes, the free version is perfectly adequate for standard use.

I didn't believe it was a scam but thats what I heard, but I don't think I need it I visit trysted websites and watch youtube most of the time.

regarding Avast which antivirus do you think is the best: Bitdefender, Avast, Avira, etc.