Samsung begins mass production of 3D NAND Flash.

Story at /.

Lucas123 writes
"Samsung has announced it is mass producing the industry's first three-dimensional (3D) Vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory that breaks through current planar NAND scaling limits, offering gains in both density and non-volatile memory performance. The first iteration of the V-NAND is a 24-layer, 128Gbit chip that will eventually be used in embedded flash and solid-state drive applications, Samsung said. It provides 2 to 10 times higher reliability and twice the write performance of conventional 10nm-class floating gate NAND flash memory. Initial device capacities will range from 128GB to 1TB, 'depending on customer demand.' 'In the future, they could go considerably higher than that,' said Steve Weinger, director of NAND Marketing for Samsung Semiconductor. Samsung's process uses cell structure based on 3D Charge Trap Flash (CTF) technology and vertical interconnect process technology to link the 3D cell array. By applying the latter technologies, Samsung's 3D V-NAND can provide over twice the scaling of current 20nm-class planar NAND flash."

Anybody think it will appear on GPU's? Is this the same type of NAND Flash that can handle 1TB sizes? Or is it a different kind altogether?

It'd be epic if it were on GPU's. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Thanks for sharing and i think that it will be able to handle 1TB of RAM. (i might be wrong, correct if i am)

It is not for regular SSD:s for sure, because of SATA3 is so slow.

Story at /.

Anybody think it will appear on GPU's? Is this the same type of NAND Flash that can handle 1TB sizes? Or is it a different kind altogether?

It'd be epic if it were on GPU's. 

NAND ...

not for GPUs, no. far to slow.

Thanks for sharing and i think that it will be able to handle 1TB of RAM. (i might be wrong, correct if i am)

It is not for regular SSD:s for sure, because of SATA3 is so slow.

This is for embedded applications (like in a mobile phone) and Solid State Drives (aka. SSD)s

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

NAND ...

not for GPUs, no. far to slow.

This is for embedded applications (like in a mobile phone) and Solid State Drives (aka. SSD)s

Hmm, true. Didn't know the actual transfer speeds for it.

140MB/s would be good for replacing HDD's. Maybe that could happen. Much smaller drives that hold much more space for much longer (20 years apparently) for even cheaper.

RRAM could indeed compete with HDD's. Awesome. Maybe with further improvements, it could compete with SSD's.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This is awesome, now if we can get Sata 4.

i got like halfway through your sig before i had to look again at the BS that's in it! :P

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

i got like halfway through your sig before i had to look again at the BS that's in it! :P

I don't know what you are talking about  ;)

I don't know what you are talking about  ;)

i thought GTX 990s ran at 2.3 GHZ standard? you had to underclock them yes? :P

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Hmm, true. Didn't know the actual transfer speeds for it.

140MB/s would be good for replacing HDD's. Maybe that could happen. Much smaller drives that hold much more space for much longer (20 years apparently) for even cheaper.

RRAM could indeed compete with HDD's. Awesome. Maybe with further improvements, it could compete with SSD's.

no no

a single RRAM chip would be at that speed

even a single nand is fast  but ive never seen a ssd with a single nand

they intend on putting RRAMs in packs of like  6 or 12 for higher speeds  like NANDs right now on ssds

this is competing vs NANDs 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

no no

a single RRAM chip would be at that speed

even a single nand is fast  but ive never seen a ssd with a single nand

they intend on putting RRAMs in packs of like  6 or 12 for higher speeds  like NANDs right now on ssds

this is competing vs NANDs 

So a pack of 12 NAND's, theoretically, would read at about 1.68GB/s? 12 * 140MB/s = 16,800MB/s

Epic. That could replace RAM. It's the Write that's the problem. NAND has a much higher read speed than the write speed.  And it doesn't say which one is the 140MB/s

† Christian Member †

So a pack of 12 NAND's, theoretically, would read at about 1.68GB/s? 12 * 140MB/s = 16,800MB/s

In the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO are 64 NAND Dice ;)

Each Dice stores 128GBit = 16GByte 

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

In the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO are 64 NAND Dice ;)

Each Dice stores 128GBit = 16GByte 

Yes, but what I'm talking about is write speeds. And I thought about "what if that's the write speed of a single chip and they put multiple chips on a PCB like they do with everything else?" beforehand, just didn't say it. 

† Christian Member †

This is awesome. This and with the evo drive getting released soon, really shows Samsung are pushing the otherwise stagnant SSD market :).

Epic. That could replace RAM. It's the Write that's the problem. NAND has a much higher read speed than the write speed.  And it doesn't say which one is the 140MB/s

im not sure of how fast NAND is but current controllers aren't that powerful yet

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

im not sure of how fast NAND is but current controllers aren't that powerful yet

I assume RAM controllers live on the CPU or North Bridge Chipset?

† Christian Member †

I assume RAM controllers live on the CPU or North Bridge Chipset?

yeah memory controller are now in the cpu

i believe sata is controlled by the south bridge

It's still NAND, so it still has a limited number of program/erase cycles.  Using them as RAM would burn them out very very quickly.  Especially as video memory where transactions take place at multiple gigabytes per second constantly.  You'd only get a few weeks of on-time with a GPU before the memory failed.

As a follow up on an earlier post about Samsungs 3d flash SSD, they are coming sooner than i expected, so how does 960gb sounds to you guys?http://www.techpowerup.com/188953/samsung-introduces-worlds-first-3d-v-nand-based-ssd-for-enterprise-applications.html

The Architect

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i5-3570K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 1600Mhz - EVGA GTX670 - Vertex 4 128GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Corsair HX750 - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl

It's nice to know that vendors are thinking outside the box. Now if only sata were faster...

jizz-in-my-pants.gif

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

So, how much will a consumer drive cost with the 3D nand? I honestly don't care what they release, unless the price per gigabyte goes down for consumer grade drives..

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE