The State of PC Gaming

hsm

PC gaming has seen a slow but steady increase in popularity in sales, and gaming pc's have become more and more accessible to the average user. In my opinion, the future of gaming will be split up in the same way that consoles and PC's used to be, that is, PC's will be used by the pro-sumer to play the more intense and involved games (todays Witcher 3's and GTA's.) And consoles will slowly die out and give way to mobile gaming. Eventually, the appeal of a console will no longer apply, and its going to cost just as much to buy an Xbox as it will to buy a PC, and people will realize that you don't need to be held back by microsoft and sony's firm restraints on content. There are physical limitations that consoles/casual gaming machines have and the gap will eventually widen and separate casual and pro-sumer gaming. as for platforms like the PS Vita and 3DS, they will meet their unfortunate demise within the next generation of cell phone technology. Any thoughts on where gaming is headed next? 

nvidia_trends_01_jpg.jpg

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

Either a boom due to PC gaming going mainstream or a bust caused by a dx12/vulcan divide and console stagnation, the latter is less likely but still can't rule it out

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

In my opinion consoles started a slow decline when they stopped being plug and play. Now they're basically nerfed pcs, what is the point? As for where it's headed next, hopefully to vulkan and linux. I'm seriously considering going full kvm on my system, and it would be even better if I could do without windows altogether.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

In my opinion consoles started a slow decline when they stopped being plug and play. Now they're basically nerfed pcs, what is the point? As for where it's headed next, hopefully to vulkan and linux. I'm seriously considering going full kvm on my system, and it would be even better if I could do without windows altogether.

console was only an option when you could just buy a game disk and start playing it. 

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

And consoles will slowly die out and give way to mobile gaming.

No they won't. If consoles ever die off, it'll be because they've moved all console services into a cloud service. Even "PC gaming" will be heading that way eventually I think, but I cannot say that with affirmation like you cannot say "consoles will slowly die out and give way to mobile gaming".

Eventually, the appeal of a console will no longer apply, and its going to cost just as much to buy an Xbox as it will to buy a PC, and people will realize that you don't need to be held back by microsoft and sony's firm restraints on content.

It's already like that now more or less. Yes, console users are moving to PC, but it's not a large number of them like everyone thinks it is, compared to the rest of the market who are still playing on consoles.

There are physical limitations that consoles/casual gaming machines have and the gap will eventually widen and separate casual and pro-sumer gaming.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. People who buy consoles aren't intelligent?

as for platforms like the PS Vita and 3DS, they will meet their unfortunate demise within the next generation of cell phone technology.

Maybe, but you are still overreaching here. You underestimate Nintendo and Sony, and what they'll do to make more money.

Any thoughts on where gaming is headed next?

It'll go where it goes.

But please, don't retort back and say "well this is just my opinion". Yes, it is, but that doesn't make you immune to criticism since you posted this on a public forum, and that doesn't make you right.

Anyone whos ever bought a handheld system must not know you can play GTA:san andreas on pretty much any modern phone. Best. Game. Ever.

I have a ds lite and I know about that :P the only problem is that touch controls kind of suck, but you can use a controller after all. The ghetto shield kind of makes sense when you think about it ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No they won't. If consoles ever die off, it'll be because they've moved all console services into a cloud service. Even "PC gaming" will be heading that way eventually I think, but I cannot say that with affirmation like you cannot say "consoles will slowly die out and give way to mobile gaming".

It's already like that now more or less. Yes, console users are moving to PC, but it's not a large number of them like everyone thinks it is, compared to the rest of the market who are still playing on consoles.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. People who buy consoles aren't intelligent?

Maybe, but you are still overreaching here. You underestimate Nintendo and Sony, and what they'll do to make more money.

It'll go where it goes.

But please, don't retort back and say "well this is just my opinion". Yes, it is, but that doesn't make you immune to criticism since you posted this on a public forum, and that doesn't make you right.

thanks for picking apart every sentence my opinion and explaining why it goes against your opinion! thanks so much, very helpful. and i didn't "retort" at all. i started off saying it was my opinion, phrased everything as a possible option, and was open to interpretation at the end. not to mention how you just skimmed my post and generalized my statements. 

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

thanks for picking apart every sentence my opinion and explaining why it goes against your opinion! thanks so much, very helpful. and i didn't "retort" at all. i started off saying it was my opinion, phrased everything as a possible option, and was open to interpretation at the end. not to mention how you just skimmed my post and generalized my statements. 

I don't understand how I 'generalized' what you said. You were very clear in most of your points, which are wrong.

i get mad at ppl over the internet 

i said that the gap will widen between the pro-sumer and casual gamer. and you thought that was me saying console gamers were unintelligent. good try, but you made a mistake. 

Fallout 4 

LTT's Tumblr Consultant 

i said that the gap will widen between the pro-sumer and casual gamer. and you thought that was me saying console gamers were unintelligent. good try, but you made a mistake. 

You misinterpreted what I said, just as you are accusing me of doing.

I was confused about what you said, and then I asked a question.

2516571-6805659098-25163.gif

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

Console gaming stopped being console gaming when the companies decided that it was gonna be a home theater device that'd cost you borderline what a cheap PC would.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

I believe Sony recently said that they won't be making a new handheld once they stop supporting the Vita. But business strategies and business plans change.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ninty bring out another handheld once they've finished with the entire 3DS cycle though.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.