Logitech G35 or HyperX Cloud 2?

MystoPigz
Go to solution Solved by Godospartan,

You aren't going to feel the beat in your toes with only headphones. On account of them being HEADphones.

Yeah, I relized this after I used my headphones, then went to a live concert.

Then I sold my k7xx and invested in speakers

everyone interprets sound differently. with my current headset, when a rather bass heavy song is beating against my drums, i tend to feel the vibration through my body, and i sometimes feel as if the ground under me is shaking. so whilst i will not disagree with you about your experiences, i am going to have to say my own prove otherwise. sound is the vibration of life, and that vibration hits me in a unique way to me. im sure im not the only one, but im not going to say that it happens to everyone.

What about a true 7.1 surround headset like the Razer Tiamat? Since it has multiple drivers in each cup, would the quality of the 7.1 surround sound be good? Or, should I get a quality stereo headset and add a surround software with it like Razer Surround? Which option would produce better sound quality? I am only going to be gaming with the headset I am choosing.

as for you, "true" 7.1 isn't going to happen in a headset. think about a home theatre. you have 7 speakers all around you, front, front left, front right, left, right, back left, back right, and the 1 being a subwoofer. in a headset, you have 3 or 4 speakers to your left, and 3 or 4 to your right. there is no surroound, it's all left or right. smaller speakers, also, give you less sound quality overall. so having 3 speakers that are 30 20 and 10mm in each ear will be worse quality than a single 50 or 53mm driver in each ear.

I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 558 stereo headphones. Is this a good choice for quality sound? Thank you guys for all the inputs!

whilst a very good headset, you have to understand that the Sennheiser 558 HD is stereo only, so you would have to use Razer's free software to include 7.1 virtual surround sound. also, they are open back, so if you have people around you, make sure not to blast the music too loud. One last thing, there is, somewhat, a crazy driver issue with the 558 compared to it's higher priced 598, or lower priced version somewhere. and many people arguing what is better or not. Trust me when i say, the research to be done for "the best headset for the best price for me" is an uphill battle for those of us who are careful and don't want to spend willy nilly.

However, if you are ok with it, i would suggest the 558's if you want bass, and if you dont, well you can either buy the 598's or do the "foam mod" to essentially make them the exact same as the 598's.. though this is just speculation. i myself will be buying the 558 and a hyperxcloud 2 myself. both for closed environments and open ones.

I was browsing for a gaming headset online and I found two headsets that have great reviews about them, and I cannot choose between them. Which is better in terms of their 7.1 surround sound and general sound capability, like hearing footsteps and sound positioning? As for the microphone quality, as long it is good enough to be heard in the game, then it is fine for me. Thank you!

do not take my opinion too far, as i have not had either headset. however, from research, several dozen video reviews, several highly regarded reviewers, one or two having very good depth of audio work, i can say without a shadow of a doubt that the HyperX clouds are your better option. Linus himself gave the Hyperx Cloud 1's the "stuff that doesn't suck" award, Logan from Teksyndicate has given a review that was surprisingly positive for a headset, when he almost religiously hates them.

But just to let you know, 7.1 is, in the gaming headset market, mostly a gimmick they try and play to get you to spend more money on their products. besides, in technical aspects, you have only 2 ears, with 2 speakers, 7.1 is not really going to work out at all unless the software driving them is amazingly good, and most of the time stereo headphones or headsets can obtain 7.1 very well through in game sound settings, which are made with a headphone setting specifically to give you the best spacial audio for their game for you to experience.

That being said, people hear things differently, so to alot of people, one headset or pair of headphones can be complete shit, whilst many others can swear by them. so it's more preference and your own individual audio signature you find enjoyable. So if at all possible, find a store nearby with them on display so you can give them a try. i doubt many have them on display still, however that's your safest bet.

If you HAVE to choose based on facts, the HyperX Cloud 1, or 2, is higher grade than the G series by far. Heck, Logan himself even said the 7.1 on the 2's weren't bad, and again he is extremely against the simulated 7.1 experience gimmick. Though he and many others who think the 7.1 is above par compared to other headsets still suggest stereo overall, if you MUST have 7.1, the Cloud 2's are your best bet. especially since they can go stereo if you get a splitter or external dac.

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

do not take my opinion too far, as i have not had either headset. however, from research, several dozen video reviews, several highly regarded reviewers, one or two having very good depth of audio work, i can say without a shadow of a doubt that the HyperX clouds are your better option. Linus himself gave the Hyperx Cloud 1's the "stuff that doesn't suck" award, Logan from Teksyndicate has given a review that was surprisingly positive for a headset, when he almost religiously hates them.

But just to let you know, 7.1 is, in the gaming headset market, mostly a gimmick they try and play to get you to spend more money on their products. besides, in technical aspects, you have only 2 ears, with 2 speakers, 7.1 is not really going to work out at all unless the software driving them is amazingly good, and most of the time stereo headphones or headsets can obtain 7.1 very well through in game sound settings, which are made with a headphone setting specifically to give you the best spacial audio for their game for you to experience.

That being said, people hear things differently, so to alot of people, one headset or pair of headphones can be complete shit, whilst many others can swear by them. so it's more preference and your own individual audio signature you find enjoyable. So if at all possible, find a store nearby with them on display so you can give them a try. i doubt many have them on display still, however that's your safest bet.

If you HAVE to choose based on facts, the HyperX Cloud 1, or 2, is higher grade than the G series by far. Heck, Logan himself even said the 7.1 on the 2's weren't bad, and again he is extremely against the simulated 7.1 experience gimmick. Though he and many others who think the 7.1 is above par compared to other headsets still suggest stereo overall, if you MUST have 7.1, the Cloud 2's are your best bet. especially since they can go stereo if you get a splitter or external dac.

The only thing bad about your post is it makes my "7.1 headphones r dum" bookmark pointless to post. [emoji4]

The HyperX Cloud headset (version 1) seems really good for the price point, not sure about the new cloud 2's with the usb and 7.1 virtual surround sound thingy.

The only thing bad about your post is it makes my "7.1 headphones r dum" bookmark pointless to post. [emoji4]

Well you're welcome to say that. Whilst i know the technical stuff, and know from experience that 7.1 isn't really the best for much of anything except a home theatre setup, and agree that you only need 2 directions with 2 drivers and 2 ears ect and so forth and so on, i do, however, believe we can perceive a 7.1 experience if done correctly, and can tell from all directions in a 7.1 virtual surround experience. whether it be a stereo headset with razers software, a bangin soundcard, or maybe a good 7.1 headset or headphones. i've tested this theory several times, and for my own experience, my 7.1 headset is capable of making me turn my head to whatever i hear as if it came behind me in 7.1 mode, but not in stereo mode. that's with a bit cruddy sound quality... if i get a good quality headset or headphones with 7.1 like the hyperX cloud 2's, which again sources all say, whilst stereo is better, that the 7.1 of the cloud 2's are very good considering the gimmicky nature of the number usually, i might find myself enjoying 7.1 in games more so than any stereo. however, thats only games. music is strictly stereo, and movies are hit and miss with surround sound anyway. so it's all about what type of sound with what audio profile.

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

Well you're welcome to say that. Whilst i know the technical stuff, and know from experience that 7.1 isn't really the best for much of anything except a home theatre setup, and agree that you only need 2 directions with 2 drivers and 2 ears ect and so forth and so on, i do, however, believe we can perceive a 7.1 experience if done correctly, and can tell from all directions in a 7.1 virtual surround experience. whether it be a stereo headset with razers software, a bangin soundcard, or maybe a good 7.1 headset or headphones. i've tested this theory several times, and for my own experience, my 7.1 headset is capable of making me turn my head to whatever i hear as if it came behind me in 7.1 mode, but not in stereo mode. that's with a bit cruddy sound quality... if i get a good quality headset or headphones with 7.1 like the hyperX cloud 2's, which again sources all say, whilst stereo is better, that the 7.1 of the cloud 2's are very good considering the gimmicky nature of the number usually, i might find myself enjoying 7.1 in games more so than any stereo. however, thats only games. music is strictly stereo, and movies are hit and miss with surround sound anyway. so it's all about what type of sound with what audio profile.

It is important to also realize that not all stereo is the same. Recording and mastering techniques are more important than the number of audio channels. The older Star Wars soundtracks are hard to listen to on headphones because all the bass is in one ear or the other. Nowadays there's plenty of binaural recordings to try on YouTube that sound fairly surreal.

With games, it is a little more difficult because of the live nature of gameplay, but not impossible. It depends on the game, but I find open back headphones to give plenty of positional awareness in stereo or headphone mode. Not everyone will, and that is fine too. It is still smarter to get a good headphone first, and choose a virtual surround solution that will work with any headphone later in my opinion. Razer Surround even gives you a free option.

The HyperX Cloud headset (version 1) seems really good for the price point, not sure about the new cloud 2's with the usb and 7.1 virtual surround sound thingy.

The first cloud headset is 20 bucks cheaper than the 2's, but are technically the exact same. the only things that are different are as follows:

1: the mic has a noise canceling feature, though still as all mics on a headset it's not the best. not bad, but not the best.

2: the cord terminates into a single 4 pin for compatibility with mobile devices on the go without the need for an extension.

3: the included USB sound card dongle activates a 7.1 virtual simulated surround sound through the internal sound care of the dongle, that terminates into a USB for computer compatibility between any device, be it tower with only motherboard sound or a laptop without sound jack plugins.

What you lose, however, is an extension cable, and the splitter. on the first headset you get a splitter that takes the 2 3 pin's into a single 4 pin for mobile compatibility. with the 2, you dont get a 4 pin splitter to 2 3 pins. you could buy one for 5-10 bucks somewhere, though quality may vary (hear some switch sound, left audio in right ear and vic versa)

It is important to also realize that not all stereo is the same. Recording and mastering techniques are more important than the number of audio channels. The older Star Wars soundtracks are hard to listen to on headphones because all the bass is in one ear or the other. Nowadays there's plenty of binaural recordings to try on YouTube that sound fairly surreal.

With games, it is a little more difficult because of the live nature of gameplay, but not impossible. It depends on the game, but I find open back headphones to give plenty of positional awareness in stereo or headphone mode. Not everyone will, and that is fine too. It is still smarter to get a good headphone first, and choose a virtual surround solution that will work with any headphone later in my opinion. Razer Surround even gives you a free option.

true, though whatever sound is, we just need to get what we feel is best. individually and all.

i am thinking about getting the hyperX cloud 2 for closed back and 7.1 as well as options through and through, but also sennheiser 558's for a bit of bass with my clarity as well as an open design.

true, though whatever sound is, we just need to get what we feel is best. individually and all.

i am thinking about getting the hyperX cloud 2 for closed back and 7.1 as well as options through and through, but also sennheiser 558's for a bit of bass with my clarity as well as an open design.

558 will be warm, but not as bassy as the cloud. 518 actually has a tad more on FR graphs.

558 will be warm, but not as bassy as the cloud. 518 actually has a tad more on FR graphs.

the type of sound im looking for is clear amazing sound with a beat. something where i can FEEL the music. Bass plays an important factor, but i want to feel it to my toes, whilst not making my body quake and rumble from the thing, which is just too much. know what i mean? thats why i picked the 558's as an open backed one. a warm and all around clear sound with a punch that doesn't knock my teeth out. something i can listen to ACDC with when i wanna jam, or country if i wanna wind down.

the type of sound im looking for is clear amazing sound with a beat. something where i can FEEL the music. Bass plays an important factor, but i want to feel it to my toes, whilst not making my body quake and rumble from the thing, which is just too much. know what i mean? thats why i picked the 558's as an open backed one. a warm and all around clear sound with a punch that doesn't knock my teeth out. something i can listen to ACDC with when i wanna jam, or country if i wanna wind down.

To get that you need speakers

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

To get that you need speakers

did i forget to mention "so those around me are not annoyed"

I was browsing for a gaming headset online and I found two headsets that have great reviews about them, and I cannot choose between them. Which is better in terms of their 7.1 surround sound and general sound capability, like hearing footsteps and sound positioning? As for the microphone quality, as long it is good enough to be heard in the game, then it is fine for me. Thank you!

as for what they actually are: the cloud II is derived from a QPAD which is beyerdynamic. I never heard bad things about the cloud but I am pretty happy with my g35 as well. The mic is also pretty good and the software isn't bad either. I'd say go for Logitech if you'll use the software but HyperX if your just going to go stereo without any gibberish-grabber or additional fancy features.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

What about a true 7.1 surround headset like the Razer Tiamat? Since it has multiple drivers in each cup, would the quality of the 7.1 surround sound be good? Or, should I get a quality stereo headset and add a surround software with it like Razer Surround? Which option would produce better sound quality? I am only going to be gaming with the headset I am choosing.

No.

One perceives surround by the differences in timing of the sound into each ear.

One ear can not tell directionality.

So, multiple drivers provide no benefit.

If one only had one ear, he or she would not be able to tell if sound was coming from in front or behind themself

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

did i forget to mention "so those around me are not annoyed"

You aren't going to feel the beat in your toes with only headphones. On account of them being HEADphones.

I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 558 stereo headphones. Is this a good choice for quality sound? Thank you guys for all the inputs!

everyone interprets sound differently. with my current headset, when a rather bass heavy song is beating against my drums, i tend to feel the vibration through my body, and i sometimes feel as if the ground under me is shaking. so whilst i will not disagree with you about your experiences, i am going to have to say my own prove otherwise. sound is the vibration of life, and that vibration hits me in a unique way to me. im sure im not the only one, but im not going to say that it happens to everyone.

as for you, "true" 7.1 isn't going to happen in a headset. think about a home theatre. you have 7 speakers all around you, front, front left, front right, left, right, back left, back right, and the 1 being a subwoofer. in a headset, you have 3 or 4 speakers to your left, and 3 or 4 to your right. there is no surroound, it's all left or right. smaller speakers, also, give you less sound quality overall. so having 3 speakers that are 30 20 and 10mm in each ear will be worse quality than a single 50 or 53mm driver in each ear.

whilst a very good headset, you have to understand that the Sennheiser 558 HD is stereo only, so you would have to use Razer's free software to include 7.1 virtual surround sound. also, they are open back, so if you have people around you, make sure not to blast the music too loud. One last thing, there is, somewhat, a crazy driver issue with the 558 compared to it's higher priced 598, or lower priced version somewhere. and many people arguing what is better or not. Trust me when i say, the research to be done for "the best headset for the best price for me" is an uphill battle for those of us who are careful and don't want to spend willy nilly.

However, if you are ok with it, i would suggest the 558's if you want bass, and if you dont, well you can either buy the 598's or do the "foam mod" to essentially make them the exact same as the 598's.. though this is just speculation. i myself will be buying the 558 and a hyperxcloud 2 myself. both for closed environments and open ones.