high memory when nothing really is running

pvknbd

I have 8GB of RAM and if i leave my computer on for a while i notice that it starts to use up a lot of ram even when i closed everything by checking task manager it says that a task named "system" is using up 5.6GB of ram out of my 8GB but when I restart my pc it goes back to normal but again after a while it just starts to build up again until it begins to freeze up leading me to restart again is there anyway i can fix this i have windows 10.

Ram leak?

Virus/malware?

I did a system scan and it didn't find any viruses.

And is there a way to fix this ram leak?

Did you do an upgrade install to Windows 10?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

my friend had this issue and it was fixed with a restart

yes but it doesn't permanently fix it

yes

Try reinstalling Windows 10 completely. You can use the Reset function found in W10.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Try reinstalling Windows 10 completely. You can use the Reset function found in W10.

I won't lose anything right?

Windows since Vista uses free ram for caching stuff and trying to predict stuff you're going to use to make it launch faster.  I'm "using" 9 / 32 GB right now and I don't have much more than browsers and Skype open.

If you're freezing up then that's a problem.  Might have a virus, driver badly misbehaving (did anything change recently)?.  Would probably just reinstall and call it a day.  Faster than trying to troubleshoot crap like this.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I won't lose anything right?

You will lose programs, but no personal files if you wish. But it's doing a complete reinstall of Windows.