That frustrating moment when you know a potential employer might do something illegal yet you won't be able to prove it

Misanthrope

So I've been shopping around and I had 2 interviews with a potential employer, one of the questions was why I am leaving my current employer. I believe that total honesty is the best policy so I actually told them the truth: My current employer basically left me out of a permanent contract under the excuse of them only having slots for permanent positions at the exact same time I was on work leave, and now I have to wait a really long time (6 months to a year) just to get the chance again even though I did nothing wrong.

Obviously this guy focused on one thing: Oh you were on sick leave? What happened? I explained I had a lower back problem aggravated due to diabetic neuropathy but that I have been released to work by the doctors after several studies confirming I am ok now and my sugar levels are coming back to normal.

Day after that, the HR guy (not the potential boss who was conducting this second interview) called to ask me flat out "The supervisor is concerned about your medical leave, what happened?" and then "Are you ok for working potentially hours sitting down?" to which I replied "Of course, I wouldn't have wasted your time by applying for the job otherwise and I would go back on sick leave with my current employer instead since you don't really need to be concerned about career opportunities if you're on sick leave" and he just say that they had an issue with another employee that spend over 6 months in sick leave due to a back injury. I explained that I do not have a herniated disc or spine injury that requires surgery or a long recovery, that it was mainly due to the diabetic neuropathy aggravating an otherwise a week or 2 week recovery time.

Yet well, you know how it goes I will probably not be called back for the final interview (they do 3 stages I passed all the test and such and now they just want the final say so from the US employer side) yet it pisses me off that I can tell the sup is going to try to talk HR out of hiring me and that HR being more on the recruiting successfully as their objectives will probably advocate in my favor since it looks good that guy to have a somewhat high profile position recruited by him, yet I am not gonna be working for HR and it's already kind of a crap environment to go into knowing that your boss basically said "I have a small team I don't want the crippled fat guy"

Worst part is that unless you get a hold of their internal communication you will never be able to have a discrimination case since the call I received from them was borderline but not telling enough.

Luckily I have a solid offer already and I might get another one next week or soon, neither pays as good as this last one but I'm not gonna be unemployed for long anyway but it bothers me since it's a nice chance since you get like 3 months of training and tons of certifications in enterprise level networking but alas, crippled fat guy doesn't looks good to them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I took a leave of absence on my last job, when I got back they laid me off.. (worked 1 week before they did)

That sucks. Technically you could have recorded all of their questions about your medical problems, and then if they didn't hire you, take them to court (or at least file a formal complaint against them).

So many companies are scum these days. Makes me sick.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My company is blatantly discriminating employment based on race and gender, but it's going to take someone in HR to whistle blow for anything to actually happen.  They're actively going out of their way to not put shit in writing.

Oh wellzors it's not my fight.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

My company is blatantly discriminating employment based on race and gender, but it's going to take someone in HR to whistle blow for anything to actually happen.  They're actively going out of their way to not put shit in writing.

Why not record this happening, and then anonymously give that recording to someone in government?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I once got sacked for racism. Actually there were these two lesbians and I tried to hit on the other one, so other one got bit jealous and - being in high position - got me fired.

I said to her that she is also invited to have a pleasant evening with us, but she didn't seem too happy about my secondary invite.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

I once got sacked for racism. Actually there were these two lesbians and I tried to hit on the other one, so other one got bit jealous and - being in high position - got me fired.

I said to her that she is also invited to have a pleasant evening with us, but she didn't seem too happy about my secondary invite.

yeah i dont think this has anything to do with racism. your hitting on your coworker so you got fired what do you think would happen?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

yeah i dont think this has anything to do with racism. your hitting on your coworker so you got fired what do you think would happen?

It was perfectly innocent and she was fine with it. Turns out she might not be 100% sure of her orientation.

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

Probably not as bad as here in Mexico where people actually publish job posting as "Looking for a female receptionist/Data capture/" Seriously though I haven't seen a single secretary/assistant job that isn't asking exclusively for females or others saying "Looking for married men 20 to 30 years of age" as if you couldn't be a responsible person without being married.

-------

Current Rig

-------