Want a new DSLR for decent video and good photo

So, I would like a new DSLR for some unboxings and photos for family, personal use and am looking into a new DSLR, So far I think I have narrowed it down to D5100 or D5200 (D5200 $200 more)

My question is what are the differences and would they do the trick?

Both of those DSLR will do the job fine - There are a few difference between the D5200 and D5100, the main difference is that the D5200 has many more focus points, much higher megapixel, better picture quality overall and better at focusing.  

I'm not sure I'd say better picture quality. I personally own a D5100 and think it is a great camera. It has good video features (not a ton like the d3200 but it would get the job done). I take mostly still photos of landscapes, flowers, etc. and I can personally vouch for amazing quality. It is true that the D5200 has 39 autofocus points, but personally I don't think its worth the $100 for more autofocus points. The D5200 can use Nikon's wireless adapter (which you have to buy), which I think would be very convenient. I myself (who would greatly factor in price) would choose the d5100 out of the two.

Nopin

P.S. If I were you I would consider the d3200 as an alternative. Mainly because superior video capabilities, although it is about the same price as the D5100.

P.S.S. More megapixels does not mean better pixel quality. Sensor size also plays a factor in resolution and quality.

I'm not sure I'd say better picture quality. I personally own a D5100 and think it is a great camera. It has good video features (not a ton like the d3200 but it would get the job done). I take mostly still photos of landscapes, flowers, etc. and I can personally vouch for amazing quality. It is true that the D5200 has 39 autofocus points, but personally I don't think its worth the $100 for more autofocus points. The D5200 can use Nikon's wireless adapter (which you have to buy), which I think would be very convenient. I myself (who would greatly factor in price) would choose the d5100 out of the two.

Nopin

P.S. If I were you I would consider the d3200 as an alternative. Mainly because superior video capabilities, although it is about the same price as the D5100.

P.S.S. More megapixels does not mean better pixel quality. Sensor size also plays a factor in resolution and quality.

What about cannon equevelents I have to buy from this list if its cannon http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/SearchResults.aspx?path=ca77b9b4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&q=%252a&sp=FS_en-CA_Product_Collection_Site-WideSP&Facet=cFSMCCPCatalogenCAPresentationHierarchy1%2523%2523-1%2523%2523-1%257e%257eq2a%257e%257ecFSMCCPCatalogenCA23773%2523%25233%2523%25231c%257e%257enf29%257c%257c43414e4f4e&viewall=true&targetCategory=23773

I'm afraid I don't know much about the new Canon stuff, I also won't recommend it, because our dad has some quite old Cannon film cameras (a quite expensive collection) and Cannon won't support or hardly even help repair or replace it. (I know I'm going to sound like a big Nikon fanboy) Nikon still makes film cameras, and I believe all the new Nikon cameras can still use all the old lenses (of course without all the automatic features). I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to tell you flat out not to buy Canon, but I know I will greatly recommend Nikon over Canon.

Take this with a grain of salt

Nopin

P.S. if you do research Canon's support of their old cameras and current cameras I would love to learn more.