Making SSD the boot drive

RoboticTaco
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

turn your pc off, unplug your hdd, plug in your ssd, boot from cd/ubs or whatever you use to install windows

install windows on the drive that shows up which is your ssd, finish installing windows, power off, connect your hdd, boot back into windows

(make sure you set the ssd as priority boot drive in UEFI)

now you have a fresh copy of windows installed on an ssd and all your files are on the hdd

you will need to reinstall programs, but your files are still accessible on the hdd

if you want you can reformat the hdd to have a clean drive

I recently bought a 120 GB SSD to add to my existing PC. The problem is, i have no idea how to make it the boot drive. I've already used 400GB on my current 1TB HDD (Mostly games and video editing files). Please help>>>>>>>>>>>>

post-248701-0-29254800-1443249908_thumb.

have the same question. i have a g750 laptop and if i switch to an ssd, how can i change it to be the boot drive

There are transfer tools. They are, however controversial in that they are known to cause errors. Reinstalling to the SSD is an option, however you will most likely lose data. It is up to you if it is data or the lifespan of the SSD that you want to risk.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

turn your pc off, unplug your hdd, plug in your ssd, boot from cd/ubs or whatever you use to install windows

install windows on the drive that shows up which is your ssd, finish installing windows, power off, connect your hdd, boot back into windows

now you have a fresh copy of windows installed on an ssd and all your files are on the hdd

you will need to reinstall programs, but your files are still accessible on the hdd

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Edit: So i need to reinstall every .exe file? 

Edit: So i need to reinstall every .exe file? 

all the programs you use, yeah

they need to be redownloaded and installed on the new SSD

but its worth it, programs will load an run much faster

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

all the programs you use, yeah

they need to be redownloaded and installed on the new SSD

but its worth it, programs will load an run much faster

about 100gb on my HDD are games, so i dont think ill be able to install them all onto the SSD.

But will all my files still be on my HDD? My friend said there could be a problem because windows is installed on both drives

about 100gb on my HDD are games, so i dont think ill be able to install them all onto the SSD.

But will all my files still be on my HDD? My friend said there could be a problem because windows is installed on both drives

yeah keep games and files on the HDD

os and programs on the SSD

i think you can isntall some programs on the HDD too if theyre not really that important, but i dont know the procedure for doing that

someone else can help you with that

all your files will be on the HDD

once you have windows on the SSD (and you are booted into the SSD) then you can just delete all the windows files and programs that are on the HDD

the best way would be to temporarily move your files to another usb/drive and format the HDD, but if you want you can just delete the windows and system files leaving only your documents/files

Spoiler

yeah keep games and files on the HDD

os and programs on the SSD

i think you can isntall some programs on the HDD too if theyre not really that important, but i dont know the procedure for doing that

someone else can help you with that

all your files will be on the HDD

once you have windows on the SSD (and you are booted into the SSD) then you can just delete all the windows files and programs that are on the HDD

the best way would be to temporarily move your files to another usb/drive and format the HDD, but if you want you can just delete the windows and system files leaving only your documents/files

By programs do you mean like Google Chrome, skype etc? 

basically...your gonna have to reinstall windows on the ssd

and then reinstall your programs you want on the ssd as well

then you plug the hdd back into the pc and copy the data you want to the ssd

and keep the bigger stuff on the hdd

the best way to do this is to have a 3rd hdd..backup all the important data from the hdd to the 3rd hdd...then format the first hdd...and copy your data from the 3rd hdd to the first..and keep very little on the ssd

just the os and some programs

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

since you have enough space

what you could also do is create another partition on the hdd with a tool like partition magic

copy your important data to that partition..then format the first partition

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

what you could also do is create another partition on the hdd with a tool like partition magic

Thanks for the help :)

is partition magic stable? 

yup

Spoiler