Quick Review of Final Fantasy V PC (Steam)

Shinrin_Cole

So I'm doing this to test this see how well this will go. This is a quick review just playing from the first few hours of the game as this is a port of a game I've beaten a few times already.

Final Fantasy V PC (Steam)

Release Date: 9/24/2015

System Requirements:

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz 
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM 
    • DirectX: Version 10

So a new Final Fantasy game has been released on steam. Final Fantasy V is the 2nd final fantasy game on PC to feature a Job system, the first being Final Fantasy III. This version is a port of the iOS/Android version, which was based on the GBA version of the game, so you have the 4 new job and an extra dungeon to go through. The graphics have been updated by the to that of RPGMaker type graphics and the character sprites have been updated for higher resolutions. While I think the graphics are ok, other don't like them. There also some graphical problems with some of the tiles which gives them edges you can clearly see. This however isn't visible on in some maps and on the world map.

The game play is mostly the same as it was in all versions of the game. There is some changes though that will make some speed runners happy:

1. The game now features a 8 directional movement, this can be turned off in the menus.
  2. The game movement is not tile base as the older version, meaning that you can squeeze by some NPC that you normally couldn't squeeze by in older versions of the game. This make playing the game on the maps feel more like Chrono Trigger than FFV though.
  3. One nice edition is that the Tutorial from the old game which took a while to get though is now a help page that pops up in game when you get your first set of jobs. (I can see how this can speed up speed runs.)
  4. There are some changes to the battles, for mages that can select all enemies or party, if you keep using a spell over and over again, it'll keep the setting in memory, even when entering a new battle.
  5. Theifs run can now be used on the World Map now. This wasn't possible before and kinda breaks the game a bit to help speed runners though the game faster.
  6. Running has changed to a one button toggle, the original had you press and hold L+R to run, now all you have to do is press R on the controller (or what button the controller has on it) to turn on or off running.
  7. The [] button on my PS4 controller changes battles to auto battles. This should be the X button on a Xbox controller.
  8. The game now auto saves when entering or leaving an area. Quite useful if you do get a game over.
  9. This game has 96 Achivements.

And that's all I have found so far that's new/different about the game.

So this concludes my quick review, Have you ever played Final Fantasy V on any system before? Are you going to pick it up on steam? Also if you have feed back on how I can do these quick reviews better, please let me know!

See you next time!

There has been a lot of talk in the "steam reviews" about tiles not matching up, or being layed out properly. I'm not sure what they meant by this, and I can't find any screen shots of this release in google. Can you comment on that possible "bug" at all or post some images if you have seen this in the game? A lot of the complainers on there are saying it ruins the experience, I would like to see for myself how bad it really is or isn't

Also who cares about speed runs? lol. I can understand a platformer or action game, but who really cares about speed runs of an old jrpg? It would mostly just be a display of your skill at navigating menus quickly.

Ah yes, an image displaying the problem. I do have one from when I first tested out the game.

You can see it at the tip of the meteor right here, and in the trees on the right.

0oOY8if.jpg

As for bugs:

1. Crashing on Startup. The game just won't load for some people.
  2. Missing Graphics. Some people load the game to find the game not loading all the graphics.
  3. Sometimes you can't edit the controller in the launcher and the launcher crashes.
  4. Sometimes after naming the main character, the game crashes. This has only happened once on me out the three times I tried.
  5. Not all Controllers work. Example: Just plugging in a PS4 controller won't work, but using a 3rd party tool to emulate a 360 controller does. Some other PC controllers also don't work as well.
  6. Running on the world map. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or a bug. But since it wasn't in the original, I'll count it as a bug.