Bottle-necking on the GTX 980

MrFunsie
Go to solution Solved by Caeradwyn,

To simplify. The 3570 will be just fine for running a GTX 980. Sure, the graphics card can perform even better in some cases when paired with a faster CPU, but it's no necessary to upgrade the CPU to enjoy great fps from a GTX 980.

Hi, i have a friend who wants to upgrade his graphics card from what he has to a GTX 980. He currently has a i5 3570 Ivy Bridge CPU and i was just wondering Whether this CPU would bottleneck his 980 or not? If it would then what would be a good CPU for him to purchase (the cheaper the better). Thanks.

Hi, i have a friend who wants to upgrade his graphics card from what he has to a GTX 980. He currently has a i5 3570 Ivy Bridge CPU and i was just wondering Whether this CPU would bottleneck his 980 or not? If it would then what would be a good CPU for him to purchase (the cheaper the better). Thanks.

Yes. An i5-4690K would be a good option for him. Alternatively, budget friendly, an i5-4460 will suffice.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yes. An i5-4690K would be a good option for him. Alternatively, budget friendly, an i5-4460 will suffice.

What the hell? 4460 is worse than his current 3570. Why would you even suggest it?

The best he can get for the money is the Xeon E3-1231v3. It's more powerful than the 4690k and you don't overclock it. 4 cores 8 threads, it's equally powerful as the i7-4770 but without the iGPU for much lower price

He should not experience any major bottlenecks, however he would get them in some CPU intensive games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

The CPU he has now is fine. It won't bottleneck.

Most i5's made in the past couple years will not bottleneck any single GPU setups.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

What the hell? 4460 is worse than his current 3570. Why would you even suggest it?

The best he can get for the money is the Xeon E3-1231v3. It's more powerful than the 4690k and you don't overclock it. 4 cores 8 threads, it's equally powerful as the i7-4770 but without the iGPU for much lower price

He should not experience any major bottlenecks, however he would get them in some CPU intensive games.

How? Newer cores, better performance, higher clock? What's the issue?

Wait. Why'd I put the 4460?! Whoops... I meant 4670K!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

The CPU he has now is fine. It won't bottleneck.

Most i5's made in the past couple years will not bottleneck any single GPU setups.

That's incorrect, he will get bottlenecked in CPU intensive areas in some games. For example, if you go to Novigrad in The Witcher 3 with a not powerful enough CPU (Basically anything below 4690) you will get bottlenecked. My overclocked FX-8350 hits around 95% of usage on all cores there and it's more powerful in terms of raw performance than majority of i5's besides the 6600k and 4690k(arguably)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

How? Newer cores, better performance, higher clock? What's the issue?

Here you go:

Hcm0Ogr.png

Here you go:

Read my above post for the mistake correction. Sorry about that.

its fine just a video card will do

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Read my above post for the mistake correction. Sorry about that.

RIP :D Never mind then, anyway anything below the 4670k is not worth considering in this case considering his current CPU  and the 980 he wants to get

RIP :D Never mind then, anyway anything below the 4670k is not worth considering in this case considering his current CPU  and the 980 he wants to get

Exactly. 

That's incorrect, he will get bottlenecked in CPU intensive areas in some games. For example, if you go to Novigrad in The Witcher 3 with a not powerful enough CPU (Basically anything below 4690) you will get bottlenecked. My overclocked FX-8350 hits around 95% of usage on all cores there and it's more powerful in terms of raw performance than majority of i5's besides the 6600k and 4690k(arguably)

If that CPU has Intel Turbo Boost, it shouldn't bottleneck.

I'm running Witcher 3 with a 2500k (granted it's at 4.4Ghz..) and I get a stable 50-80 FPS on average (when V-sync isn't enabled) with those lighting mods on Nexus.

Go speak for the people with i5-2500k and i7-2600ks and 980Tis

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Go speak for the people with i5-2500k and i7-2600ks and 980Tis

I didn't say it's the least that wouldn't bottleneck this GPU, it's the least he should even consider if he wants to upgrade from his current i5-3570 ^^

If that CPU has Intel Turbo Boost, it shouldn't bottleneck.

I'm running Witcher 3 with a 2500k (granted it's at 4.4Ghz..) and I get a stable 50-80 FPS on average (when V-sync isn't enabled) with those lighting mods on Nexus.

It won't affect overall game experience, you will just get stutters and FPS drops in certain places, You probably would max out your CPU in Novigrad on Ultra settings in some spots.

It won't affect overall game experience, you will just get stutters and FPS drops in certain places, You probably would max out your CPU in Novigrad on Ultra settings in some spots.

Yeah it does. That's the one spot where it goes around 50, ha.

There's also this to consider:

They used a Haswell i3 in that bench and it did fine.

Yeah it does. That's the one spot where it goes around 50, ha.

There's also this to consider:

They used a Haswell i3 in that bench and it did fine.

"Fine" is not enough for a GTX 980 ^^ He should get at least a 4690k if he wants an upgrade, I'd just personally stick to his current 3570 and not upgrade unless I have money for a decent i7

Also, look by how 8350 destroys an i3 (starting around 3:50) in that CPU heavy Novigrad by 20 FPS cause the little i3 is just not powerful enough to handle that much work ;-;

"Fine" is not enough for a GTX 980 ^^ He should get at least a 4690k if he wants an upgrade, I'd just personally stick to his current 3570 and not upgrade unless I have money for a decent i7

Yeah but for an i3 it did fine in the game.

OP has a 3570 which can turbo to 3.8 if it's enabled in the BIOS, which would perform ample enough to not bottleneck the 980 and keep up with those other CPU's in Witcher 3.

Yeah but for an i3 it did fine in the game.

OP has a 3570 which can turbo to 3.8 if it's enabled in the BIOS, which would perform ample enough to not bottleneck the 980 and keep up with those other CPU's in Witcher 3.

You misunderstand what I mean. Yes, It will run great and it should be fine paired with a 980, however he will experience bottlenecks. A bottleneck is when your CPU goes to 100% of usage while your GPU is at lower usage than 99%. It will occur in some CPU-heavy games or locations in games like the previously mentioned Novigrad when he would experience bottlenecking while outside this specific location the game would run great, it should not be big enough to justify an upgrade in my opinion though.

You misunderstand what I mean. Yes, It will run great and it should be fine paired with a 980, however he will experience bottlenecks. A bottleneck is when your CPU goes to 100% of usage while your GPU is at lower usage than 99%. It will occur in some CPU-heavy games or locations in games like the previously mentioned Novigrad when he would experience bottlenecking while outside this specific location the game would run great, it should not be big enough to justify an upgrade in my opinion though.

I know what a bottleneck is mate, ha.

We're saying the same thing, basically. I'm just adding that the 3570, while "locked" can turbo up to 3.8Ghz if enabled in the bios, which will give an extra boost in that area and even overall framerate.

LOL.... thanks a lot for all the info. what i seem to be hearing is that he will experience bottlenecks and a better cpu would be a good choice. However he could turn turbo boost on within the bios and gain a little more performance. Is that right? 

OP has a 3570 which can turbo to 3.8 on one core if it's enabled in the BIOS, and to 3.6GHz only for 4 cores.

*fixed

People really don't get mislead by max turbo boost values... I'm so glad Skylake did away with that and the 1-core and 4-core boost is the same.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

*fixed

People really don't get mislead by max turbo boost values... I'm so glad Skylake did away with that and the 1-core and 4-core boost is the same.

True.

Regardless, the OP's CPU will not bottleneck a 980 in The Witcher 3, which is why there's this whole back and forth.

True.

Regardless, the OP's CPU will not bottleneck a 980 in The Witcher 3, which is why there's this whole back and forth.

I have no real comment on that, I just like to correct things all over =D.

As far as I'm concerned, these games are using too much bloody CPU on the whole lately. It's absolute retardation that no CPU on the market seems to be capable of giving many releases from the last two years 120fps constant, including overclocks. =D.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I have no real comment on that, I just like to correct things all over =D.

As far as I'm concerned, these games are using too much bloody CPU on the whole lately. It's absolute retardation that no CPU on the market seems to be capable of giving many releases from the last two years 120fps constant, including overclocks. =D.

The problem is with the developers not being able to optimize that well and AMD/Intel not coming out with something significant. We seem to have hit the wall on how far they can push silicon.