AMD CPU's

bhcool12

"because its intel" is not a valid reason

oh, and about that "better temps", remember the pentium 4?

That was 15 years ago lol.

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

it doesn't matter

the fx-8350 doesn't require an aftermarket cooler to keep itself decently running

the i7-4790k does

your argument was?

I totally disagree the 4790k doesnt at all.

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

I totally disagree the 4790k doesnt at all.

I've heard multiple instances on this forum about the 4790k's heatsink not being able to handle the heat output of it correctly

and i've heard some temperature problems with them, something that i can't say for the 8320/50/70/9590

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Athlon 860K is close to the G3258 or the i3

but that is all

what is the budget???

it costs more for the same performance or sometimes worse performance.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I've heard multiple instances on this forum about the 4790k's heatsink not being able to handle the heat output of it correctly

and i've heard some temperature problems with them, something that i can't say for the 8320/50/70/9590

well only becuase the heatsink base is smaller than the size of the cpu die.

Its been proven that amd is more hot than an intel cpu at idle and at full workload.

Have fun with Netburst compared to K7/K8.

Heh. Was waiting for this.

"because its intel" is not a valid reason

oh, and about that "better temps", remember the pentium 4?

Have fun with Netburst compared to K7/K8.

firefighter_3.jpg

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

That tells you something right now...

I avoided Pentium 4 like the plague. Still have my Athlon XPs and I'll never get rid of them. I have an old Toshiba laptop that has a P4 desktop CPU in it. Even brand new it had about a half hour worth of battery and hit 100C easy under no load whatsoever. Not worth the "benefit" of hyperthreading.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I avoided Pentium 4 like the plague. Still have my Athlon XPs and I'll never get rid of them. I have an old Toshiba laptop that has a P4 desktop CPU in it. Even brand new it had about a half hour worth of battery and hit 100C easy under no load whatsoever. Not worth the "benefit" of hyperthreading.

I had a Sony laptop with a Athlon XP CPU....ran fine, better than my Pentium M laptop at the time.

Too bad my dad threw away the 486 PCs.

Well with my experience I noticed Intel cpus are way better than amd.

You have to understand

• TDP is a measurement of heat generated measured in Watts. The symbol used to represent this is 'Q' (at least, in the Engineering and physics domain).
  • Temperature =/= heat, because Q = mc(Tf - Ts), and Sgen = Q/T

Intel Processors have a much higher acceptable operating temperature compared to AMD Processors. Intel chips can operate in temperatures of 80*C+ before throttling, while more recent AMD processors can only reach ~70*C before the microprocessor throttles, or thermal shutdown kicks in.

Whether an Intel Processor, or AMD Processor operates cooler (temperature) is relative -- it depends on the heatsink / cooler being used on the chip. AMD chips tend to produce more heat, but it does not necessarily mean it runs hotter. Again, going back to where I previously mentioned regarding to Heat and Temperature.

Linus' video on testing stock coolers on Intel and AMD processors (yes, Luke was able to mount the stock AMD processor onto an Intel CPU / motherboard).

In terms of gaming, I completely agree with you, as of now, an Intel Processor is the best choice. I will NOT recommend an AMD FX Processor for this case. In many performance computing scenarios, the enthusiast X79 / X99 platform is also preferred / commonly recommended. In workloads that takes advantage of the extra cores / threads, the AMD FX Processors is able to stand its own ground.

For an example, for the "Design of Digital and VSLI Systems" related projects that I am doing, I REALLY benefit from the extra cores, since the programs (Xilinx, MATLAB, etc) take advantage of the extra cores & threads. On a system with a i5-4670, it takes nearly 30 minutes to compile the entire VHDL project, while the time is significantly reduced on my FX-8350 system. I may probably have to get a new system based on the X99 platform to see any large signifcant improvements.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Mind you AMD's latest CPU's released at the end of 2011/start of 2012 and have not changed since

Intel year on year has a new CPU release

Comparing a NEW intel cpu to a 2012 (new AMD CPU), your not gonna find many good points for AMD, but they still do compete in their areas

For budget builds... some "new" amd cpus will do

otherwise

Phenom II X6 Black editions at the at the right price perform great, on par or better than the FX's (single thread + multithread)

Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition unlocks to a X4, can be had for $30AUD/25USD on ebay (a lil OC and its agreat budget gaming chip)

Older Intel chips like the Sandy Bridge, or even Westmeres(32nm 6C/12T) (i7 980X,990X, Xeon X5650/70, LGA1366Mobo hard to find) (for the right price 2ndhand)

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider

For now, you can get similar performance, but not matching. We'll have to wait for Zen and Zen+ since Bulldozer is an ancient architecture.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //