Starting to fold... How many points per day should I expect

I just started folding today for the linustechtips team... 

I have an FX 8350 overclocked to 4.6GHz, 16GB of 1866MHz RAM, and a GTX 780 (not overclocked yet). on full load, how much can I expect?

Noone can really tell you what to expect but you should get some serious points form the 780. I get around 15-20k PPD with a 3570K @ 4.4 and a GTX 460.

Noone can really tell you what to expect but you should get some serious points form the 780. I get around 15-20k PPD with a 3570K @ 4.4 and a GTX 460.

You are right, the 780 is a beast! even before overclocking the GPU... I get almost 70K

W51iH1T.png

If you use the beta flag on your GTX 780 you should get a lot more from it.

post-20438-0-88448500-1376416563.jpg

post-20438-0-88448500-1376416563.jpg

Intel i7 3770K 4.2 Ghz / Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Sabertooth Z77 - 2x4 GB Patriot Viper 2133 Mhz
60 GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe - 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 500 GB WD Caviar Blue
EVGA GTX 780 SLI -Corsair HX 1000W - Lian Li T60

Yeah add this flag : client-type  advanced and you ll get a big increase in PPD from the next WU you get ( dont delete the one you have one, let it finish )

PPD on your cpu might increase a bit since you just started it

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Yeah add this flag : client-type  advanced and you ll get a big increase in PPD from the next WU you get ( dont delete the one you have one, let it finish )

PPD on your cpu might increase a bit since you just started it

When I tried to use evga precision it had a bug.. Now I'm under 50k

When I tried to use evga precision it had a bug.. Now I'm under 50k

What had a bug? And dont worry about the ppd being a bit unstable, my 680 fluctuates between 60k and 160k, i usually take the average  

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

First - adding the Flag does NOT mean you get more PPD. It simply means your system is made available to download one of the advanced/beta cores. Nothing else. If you do get one, and you won't always, then yes, you can expect highers then normal PPD.

Second, be careful OC'ing a GPU. FAH is VERY picky about that. If you see instability while folding, or failed WU's, reset to stock.

Finally, the 780 is not going to monster blow away things like a 680 or 7970... because the FAH client isn't yet fully optimized for the new processors...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

First - adding the Flag does NOT mean you get more PPD. It simply means your system is made available to download one of the advanced/beta cores. Nothing else. If you do get one, and you won't always, then yes, you can expect highers then normal PPD.

Second, be careful OC'ing a GPU. FAH is VERY picky about that. If you see instability while folding, or failed WU's, reset to stock.

Finally, the 780 is not going to monster blow away things like a 680 or 7970... because the FAH client isn't yet fully optimized for the new processors...

I'm using the beta flag on my nvidia gpu's for a while, and I have the results to proof that.

GTX 780 with the 8900: 130.000. PPD

GTX 570 with the 8900: 33.000. PPD

I7 3770K, SMP 6, 16.000 PPD, because I know, and I tried, that the nvidia cards, with core17 uses 1 core per gpu, so I set my CPU to 6 instead of 8.

My total PPD should be 179.000 more or less.

Well, before I joined this team, I was in another team, also as a 24/7 folder.

Here are the stats:

Previous team: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=572289

With our team: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=643891

You can see that my PPD in both stats are over 100.000 and close to 200.000. 

So I believe that the beta flag provides a lot of PPD compared to the non beta ones. In fact, my main reason to purchase the GTX 780 was for folding, I know the fact that the AMD cards are now competitve and cheaper. But my days with AMD are over.

I have no intention to be rude or something like that. I'm just sharing my experience that I've acquired with my hardware, especially regarding nvidia gpu's.

The OC on the gpu with FAH, at least for me, only creates errors, my GTX 570 it's a SC (797 Mhz), and I had to downclock it to stock (732 Mhz) in order to gain stability. My GTX 780, on stock clock goes to 980Mhz, with no errors, any attempt to OC gives me errors. So my gpu's are 100% stock, just with a very agressive fan curve. 

Intel i7 3770K 4.2 Ghz / Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Sabertooth Z77 - 2x4 GB Patriot Viper 2133 Mhz
60 GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe - 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 - 500 GB WD Caviar Blue
EVGA GTX 780 SLI -Corsair HX 1000W - Lian Li T60

I'm not debating that you get the PPD you do because you "have" the flag. I am simply saying, enabling it doesn't mean you will always get more PPD. It simply means, if there is a Core17, for instance, beta project available, and you have the flags set, your system is now eligible to download a beta project. Said Core17 projects have been yielding higher then normal PPD.

But, even with it set, you can still get Core15 and Core16, more traditional, projects, were you will see your PPD below what you think is "normal".

So - the beta/advanced flag in no way gets you more PPD - they simply allow you access to beta/advanced WU's, which in turn typically have higher PPD bonuses. If you have been lucky, you may be still getting the majority of these ones. However, many of us are now seeing Core16 projects as they need to get finished up. As such, your PPD does take a hit - but in reality, goes back to more normal levels.

I wonder once the Core17 are out of beta/advanced testing if they will reduce the bonuses on them across the board. Also, the Core17 is supposed to remove much of the dependency that GPU's have one CPU's - but I still always leave one core free, regardless. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99