Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

orangecat
Go to solution Solved by cxz,

Well from what I have heard it is not a significant increase in speed going from windows 7 to 8 if you using 7.  I have never really upgraded my system, because like you I just nuke and pave it.  If I am not mistaken the problems you can run into are having the wrong drivers and such.  As for your software working I believe most of it should be working by now.  When I upgraded awhile ago I was having problems with some games working in 8, so I just went back to 7.  If using steam all of your saves should be in their cloud if I am not mistaken.  

So unless you're are dying to try out the modern ui I wouldn't worry about it.  The new task manager and stuff is nice though. lol

I am thinking of going with Windows 8 because its faster. i don't like allot of the features of the OS but I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it. i am thinking of just doing the upgrade option but I am unsure. i have never done the upgrade option when installing a Windows OS onto my PC I have always reinstalled the OS on a freshly formatted drive. I don't feel like backing up all my Skyrim saves and mods I also don't feel like configuring everything again and reinstalling all my drivers. i don't quite know what will happen to my installed software and if it will all work the same or not.

EDIT: Is Windows 8.1 a service pack or a new OS? If Windows 8.1 is a new OS should i want and buy that or get Windows 8 as is?

I personally wouldn't you'd have to get a bunch of 3rd party software to make it like win 7

Honestly, I don't mind Windows 8. It really is just Windows 7 with a flashy Start menu. Once you get used to it and learn all the little tips and tricks and hidden features, W8 actually is a pretty OK OS. You can also download an app such as Startisback to, as the name implies, bring back the classic Start menu. The upgrade process from Windows 7 is relatively painless from what I hear, and as long as you pick the right settings it *should* maintain most of what you already have installed.

Windows 8.1 is essentially a beefy Service Pack. It's going to bring some new features that should at least help fix a few of the more glaring quirks about W8. It's way past my bed time so I can't be bothered to rattle off the changes, but they should be pretty easy to Google if you're interested.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

Well from what I have heard it is not a significant increase in speed going from windows 7 to 8 if you using 7.  I have never really upgraded my system, because like you I just nuke and pave it.  If I am not mistaken the problems you can run into are having the wrong drivers and such.  As for your software working I believe most of it should be working by now.  When I upgraded awhile ago I was having problems with some games working in 8, so I just went back to 7.  If using steam all of your saves should be in their cloud if I am not mistaken.  

So unless you're are dying to try out the modern ui I wouldn't worry about it.  The new task manager and stuff is nice though. lol

You seem to be the only one who actually took time to read my post thanks.

I wouldn't say that, I just think its too late.  Its way past my bed time. lol

If you get a start menu program such as StartIsBack it's just the same as Windows 7, only lighter. I've only had one bluescreen so far and I have no idea what caused it, however I didn't have any on 7. This may be due to a new OS and it's teething problems and I hope they will be worked out soon.

I'm going to say know that if I had the chance to rebuild my current system, I would go with windows 7 instead of windows 8. The amount of games that I've had to run in some sort of compatibility mode, and the fact that I've had to download more 3rd party software than any other OS i've ever used is frustrating. Also, the OS requires you to change from modern UI apps to traditional window view apps all the time, it's not consistent. 

Startisback is necessary for me, the whole modern thing drives me crazy. 

EDIT: As @Ssoele pointed out to me, you don't HAVE to go into modern UI, but Windows 8 does try to make you do it

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I upgraded to Windows 8 a while ago and I am definitely not going back. Once you've installed StartIsBack (or similar) you're set to go. I feels the same as Windows 7, but has some key improvements, like the file transfer, task manager and much better multi-monitor support.