Can't even laugh at this laptop.. this...

Mikjul

snip

In my view with current technology building a desktop-level gaming PC in a laptop is pointless beyond a certain performance point because the fuctionality of the computer is hampered too far and the price grows impractical with the resources running a desktop GPU requires. If someone was to require a portable gaming PC with this high capability a mITX rig is a far better option since you're going to be strapped to a wall outlet anyway, and if you're travelling actively enough that this is not an option you're most likely not going to be getting much out of your gaming laptop anyway. Not all gaming laptops are pointless, but cramming a desktop GPU in a laptop that has its main advantage removed by the simple virtue of having said GPU is highly impractical. It might be an interesting proof of concept and might lead to better applications in the future but that does not change the fact that as a consumer product it is overpriced and impractical.

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

What worries me is the thermal problems in such a form factor

@ttam I guess that's what you get on a forum which has a large majority of users that are below 18 (no offense to those of you who are) ;  

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

In my view with current technology building a desktop-level gaming PC in a laptop is pointless beyond a certain performance point because the fuctionality of the computer is hampered too far and the price grows impractical with the resources running a desktop GPU requires. If someone was to require a portable gaming PC with this high capability a mITX rig is a far better option since you're going to be strapped to a wall outlet anyway, and if you're travelling actively enough that this is not an option you're most likely not going to be getting much out of your gaming laptop anyway. Not all gaming laptops are pointless, but cramming a desktop GPU in a laptop that has its main advantage removed by the simple virtue of having said GPU is highly impractical. It might be an interesting proof of concept and might lead to better applications in the future but that does not change the fact that as a consumer product it is overpriced and impractical.

So being plugged into the wall constantly is really the only thing making it impractical, according to you.

It being a desktop GPU doesn't make a difference, so lets not even go that way - it's not being crammed in there, the GPU die is soldered onto the motherboard, just like it's soldered onto a video card PCB. If you go look at the size of the Gigabyte Auros X7 DT, it's still a slim notebook with that 980 being put in there. Yeah it's going to be loud, most definitely. Besides the point.

The reason people use these kinds of laptops is because not only can they get desktop-like performance in that small of a form factor, but it also has a monitor panel built in. So even if you manage to have some travel friendly ITX case, you still have to lug around a monitor. Add that to your luggage. Why all that when you can just have one device?

The other guy mentioned Youtubers, so I'm going to bring it up as an example: why would they want to opt for a desktop and monitor traveling solution when they're also carrying around camera equipment, audio equipment and whatever else they travel with? 

Traveling with an ITX chassis and a monitor is far more impractical than being at the mercy of an electric outlet to power your power-hungry laptop.

Seems kind of pointless, laptops just do not deliver the best experience for gaming.

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | 2x4GB kingston hyper-x genesis @1600MHz | Gigabyte windforce GTX 780 3xOC rev.2 | 240GB kingston v300 & 500GB seagate 7200rpm | 

Corsair GS600 |  1440p Dell U2515H & 1080p 60Hz tv/monitor | Asetek based AIO 120mm liquid cpu cooler

snip

What, exactly, are you trying to prove? And to whom?

EDIT: (misclicked post) I am not convinced with the necessity of this laptop. I don't think there's a reason to have desktop gaming performance in a barely portable form. So who are you trying to convince with this fierce contest of online adjective nit-picking?

Arcturus(log here): Intel Core i7 6700K // MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G(1454/1995) // Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16GB //  MSI XPower Gaming Titanium Edition // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB // WD Black 2TB // Corsair 760T // Corsair RM850i

What, exactly, are you trying to prove? And to whom?

Is this not a tech forum, for discussing tech?

I must be in the wrong place.

Is this not a tech forum, for discussing tech?

I must be in the wrong place.

If picking apart people's wording, attempting to prove opinions about consumer products logically false and being condescending to everyone who bothers to utter a word qualifies as discussion.

Sure I can, when they likely charge $4,000 for $1,200~ worth of desktop components I can laugh all day.