Any tips on getting the most out of my slow internet?

JorenBus

Hello all,

I recently moved to a rural area, and the internet is absolute shit here. We get around 550 Kb/s download, and super slow upload (can't remember how much).

We pay for a lot faster internet, but my dad is a tech guy, and says it has something to do with the wires that can't handle more + we're too far from the power station (I don't know how to call it).

This is extremely annoying, since I game a lot. Whenever my brother or someone else is doing some stuff on the internet, my ping in-game goes through the roof.

That's not something you want as a gamer obviously.

So are there any sollutions to make this problem more bearable?

FYI, my PC is connected via ethernet cable, but it's actually connected via Wi-Fi. We use a Wi-Fi to ethernet adapter, since the construction of the house doesn't allow drilling holes.

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

There's really not anything you can do. Slow internet is slow internet, and when others are using it, the performance is going to decrease. 

You may be able to get slightly faster speeds by tweaking some router settings, but it's not going to solve the problem. 

Hello all,

I recently moved to a rural area, and the internet is absolute shit here. We get around 550 Kb/s download, and super slow upload (can't remember how much).

We pay for a lot faster internet, but my dad is a tech guy, and says it has something to do with the wires that can't handle more + we're too far from the power station (I don't know how to call it).

This is extremely annoying, since I game a lot. Whenever my brother or someone else is doing some stuff on the internet, my ping in-game goes through the roof.

That's not something you want as a gamer obviously.

So are there any sollutions to make this problem more bearable?

FYI, my PC is connected via ethernet cable, but it's actually connected via Wi-Fi. We use a Wi-Fi to ethernet adapter, since the construction of the house doesn't allow drilling holes.

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks

all i can say is i feel your pain as my speeds are probably slower than yours and also we have a 150gb data cap

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Unless your area has a high demand then you wont be getting a upgrade anytime soon!

I do think rural areas/villages can look at getting funding for fibre but dont quote me on it!

Also doesnt help that your on wi-fi as that cuts some of the d/l speed

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Get two lines, tech guy dad.

Wires can't handle more? Power station? Wut wut?

it's probably dsl.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I personally use this http://www.cfos.de/en/index.htm.

It is a traffic shaping tool that shapes your PC's internet connection to suit the current needs, It can optimise both ping and bandwidth and may help you a lot.

Core i7 4790k @4.6Ghz MSI GTX 980 ti 32GB Corsair Vengance Pro RAM @1866Mhz Maximus VII Ranger Cooler master Nepton 240M

even i have a very slow doownload speed around 50 KBps to 80 KBps but still i download tons of games

but all i can say is upgrade to a better internet or

download idm it will helpu to get max speed u can get at any other time and if using windows 8 or 8.1 or 10 then turn all the live tiles off and disable access to internet in background

Research and build your own wifi directional dish and get free internet and better speeds.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Research and build your own wifi directional dish and get free internet and better speeds.

That's chinese for me :D

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit