Need a new Hard Drive

SunshineBob
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hello. So currently I'm running with Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive (ST1000DM003). The vibrations on this thing sucks. I hate it. So I'm thinking to replacing it with WD Red 2TB Hard Drive (http://wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=1086&language=1). What are other real options there maxed at 100€/$? I also love that it has some red stickers on it. Since my build is black/red color themed (yes I know it's a common one but it just because my mobo is that colour so I like to match things lol). But theres some stuff I would love if someone explained. Like what is Intelli Power and why is it called NASware and is it a good thing? And there are other brands still like Toshiba and Seagate. Tho I have had my worst experience with WD Green in the past and have had extreme luck with Seagate back in the IDE era. Never had Samsung or Toshiba hard drives. What can you suggest??

Hey there SunshineBob,

WD Red drives are NAS/RAID-class rated and are designed for servers, NAS setups, RAID arrays and larger drive pools. Such drives have additional features in their firmware and hardware such as TLER and NASware that enable them to work much smoother and safer in such conditions (NAS, server, RAID arrays, etc.). When these drives are used in a regular desktop, these features are not utilized and they work like regular HDDs. If you go with WD Red for your build as a simple storage drive it should work just like a regular WD Green so I'd suggest going with the latter one. 

WD Black is also a great performance drive, but as any performance-oriented drive it would produce more vibrations and noise compared to drives with energy-saving features. It really depends on what you need from the new drive. :)

Intellipower is a technology that tunes the drive for the best balance between rpm, transfer speed, caching algorithms and low noise and heat out put. It's designed to enable each drive that has it to use as little energy as possible while not losing performance to that. 

Feel free to ask if you happen to have other questions. :)

Captain_WD.

Hello. So currently I'm running with Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive (ST1000DM003). The vibrations on this thing sucks. I hate it. So I'm thinking to replacing it with WD Red 2TB Hard Drive (http://wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=1086&language=1). What are other real options there maxed at 100€/$? I also love that it has some red stickers on it. Since my build is black/red color themed (yes I know it's a common one but it just because my mobo is that colour so I like to match things lol). But theres some stuff I would love if someone explained. Like what is Intelli Power and why is it called NASware and is it a good thing? And there are other brands still like Toshiba and Seagate. Tho I have had my worst experience with WD Green in the past and have had extreme luck with Seagate back in the IDE era. Never had Samsung or Toshiba hard drives. What can you suggest??

WD Red drives are designed for NAS (network attached) storage. They will still work just fine, but they will not be as fast as WD Black drives. The nice thing for you is that WD Red drives are designed for big raid arrays, which need nearly vibration-less drives in order to last. WD Green is the consumer drive, along with WD Blue. They do not go through the same QC testing that WD Red, Black, or Purple drives do. Purple drives are meant for 24/7 security camera systems by the way.

My native language is C++

WD Red drives are designed for NAS (network attached) storage. They will still work just fine, but they will not be as fast as WD Black drives. The nice thing for you is that WD Red drives are designed for big raid arrays, which need nearly vibration-less drives in order to last. WD Green is the consumer drive, along with WD Blue. They do not go through the same QC testing that WD Red, Black, or Purple drives do. Purple drives are meant for 24/7 security camera systems by the way.

Okay so I'm not making a server or anything so I guess this should be my choice then?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdeu/en_IE/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.22586100/categoryID.13835100/subCategory.13839800/parid.13832000/catid.13832600/WD_Black

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Hey there SunshineBob,

WD Red drives are NAS/RAID-class rated and are designed for servers, NAS setups, RAID arrays and larger drive pools. Such drives have additional features in their firmware and hardware such as TLER and NASware that enable them to work much smoother and safer in such conditions (NAS, server, RAID arrays, etc.). When these drives are used in a regular desktop, these features are not utilized and they work like regular HDDs. If you go with WD Red for your build as a simple storage drive it should work just like a regular WD Green so I'd suggest going with the latter one. 

WD Black is also a great performance drive, but as any performance-oriented drive it would produce more vibrations and noise compared to drives with energy-saving features. It really depends on what you need from the new drive. :)

Intellipower is a technology that tunes the drive for the best balance between rpm, transfer speed, caching algorithms and low noise and heat out put. It's designed to enable each drive that has it to use as little energy as possible while not losing performance to that. 

Feel free to ask if you happen to have other questions. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/