zedselder

i have been looking on youtube all day long and can't find a video where someone testes the gaming performance of an i7-6700k vs. i7-5960x on stock and oc speeds.
because i watched a video putting stock 6700k vs 5820k and in gaming the 6700k was better.
so what about the 5960x will the 6700k be better?
link to the video: 

You don't compare those two CPUs they're two completely different categories

5960X is something that should only be used for hardcore workstation and developer rigs anyone just gaming on it is putting that CPU and their money to waste

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Games like lesser stronger cores.

For gsming get NO MORE then a 6700k/5820k because a 5960x is not needed.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

or if you have a stupid high budget and you want to throw in the extra cash for a 5930k theres that too

but for the most part 5960x is not needed unless you do side work like rendering, editing, CAD ect

Comparing them at stock speed. Are you kidding me? 

One with 4.0GHz base clock and the other 3.3GHz. Yeah, very fair.

Comparing them at stock speed. Are you kidding me? 

One with 4.0GHz base clock and the other 3.3GHz. Yeah, very fair.

well i didn't make the video.

or if you have a stupid high budget and you want to throw in the extra cash for a 5930k theres that too

but for the most part 5960x is not needed unless you do side work like rendering, editing, CAD ect

then why do a lot of companies like MSI brand LGA 2011-3 motherboards as gaming

but why in this video: 

the 5960x is shown better than the 4790k

and in this one the 4790k is better in only one game

also i know that i was asking about the 6700k and now i mentioned the 4790k but that's because the 6700k is the successor of the 4790k 

You don't compare those two CPUs they're two completely different categories

5960X is something that should only be used for hardcore workstation and developer rigs anyone just gaming on it is putting that CPU and their money to waste

Because the 5820k and the 5830k exist

they just said a moment ago that 4790k and 6700k are enough for gaming and that you don't need the 5820k or 5830k

and even the 4790k and 6700k are better than the 5820k and 5830k

they just said a moment ago that 4790k and 6700k are enough for gaming and that you don't need the 5820k or 5830k

and even the 4790k and 6700k are better than the 5820k and 5830k

Well, the 5820k is if you want the extra cores in your machine and the 5830k is the 5820k with more pcie lane so you could run extra hardware with that.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Because marketing purposes

And that's isn't the only CPU in that socket

We're not MSI we don't know why they do so it's just appealing aesthetics and what not but nothing on that chipset should be used purely for gaming only.

Everyone's point still stands we don't have insight on MSI's marketing choices for mobos

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Because it's a series of mobos with some specific features that usually appeal to gamers (although not necessarely to gamers only).

but why in this video: 

Because of 2 things:

• First, the 5960x has a slightly stronger core at the same clocks.
  • Second, the video was within the super high FPS mark. At that point, system RAM starts to influence FPS quite a bit, and thus the quad channel DDR4 5960x get's an even bigger edge over the 4790k. You can see that with lower FPS marks (such as the 60fps range), CPU stops being relevant.

Just get a 6600k and be done with it...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

My suggestion don't look at the 6700K or anything at that tier. Either go up one or down one, so 6600K or 5820K

but why in this video: 

also i know that i was asking about the 6700k and now i mentioned the 4790k but that's because the 6700k is the successor of the 4790k 

Because some gamers think a $350 CPU is too cheap for their 3-way SLI TitanX. 

Haswell-E is at the same generation as i7 4790K. Of course Skylake will have better IPC for being latest generation and performs better in games. However, you are telling those rock with 4790K and 4690K, their CPUs are inferior to 6700K, and inadequate for gaming??

Comparing 5820K and 6700K in stock speed just show whoever made the video trying to fool people to think 6700K is so much superior. Without mentioning 5820K can easily be overclocked to 4.5-4.6GHz(mine can do 4.7). I don't think the CPU will be a weak link in any way for gaming. If you only do gaming, stick with 4-core mainstream, and be happy.

but why in this video: 

beeeccccaaauuuuussseee 5820k and the 5930k were meant for a range of things including gaming.

and its a motherboard series.

They wont make a whole "Rendering" series for Extreme edition chips. Its pointless. Its just a motherboard series. 5960x is generally bad for gaming because of the lower clock speed & games don't really ever utilize 6+ cores

and as the user above me said Marketing purposes. 

Because the 5820k and the 5830k exist

I think you mean 5930K. 5830K doesn't exist.

My suggestion don't look at the 6700K or anything at that tier. Either go up one or down one, so 6600K or 5820K

Well I could see a 6700K for and ITX build but thats it. I actually have a 4770K for this reason, well a 4670K would have been fine but I got a crazy deal on the processor.

Well, the 5820k is if you want the extra cores in your machine and the 5830k is the 5820k with more pcie lane so you could run extra hardware with that.

well i know the 5820k and the 5930k specs and this is all just for knowledge i have my own pc that im happy with im just curious about stuff.

so will a 5930k be better in gaming that a 4790k?

Because marketing purposes

And that's isn't the only CPU in that socket

We're not MSI we don't know why they do so it's just appealing aesthetics and what not but nothing on that chipset should be used purely for gaming only.

Everyone's point still stands we don't have insight on MSI's marketing choices for mobos

yah i get the whole MSI thing.

Because it's a series of mobos with some specific features that usually appeal to gamers (although not necessarely to gamers only).

Because of 2 things:

• First, the 5960x has a slightly stronger core at the same clocks.
  • Second, the video was within the super high FPS mark. At that point, system RAM starts to influence FPS quite a bit, and thus the quad channel DDR4 5960x get's an even bigger edge over the 4790k. You can see that with lower FPS marks (such as the 60fps range), CPU stops being relevant.

Just get a 6600k and be done with it...

as i said im not buying a new pc im just asking

and why not a 6700k. why a 6600k?

Well I could see a 6700K for and ITX build but thats it. I actually have a 4770K for this reason, well a 4670K would have been fine but I got a crazy deal on the processor.

why didn't you get a 4790k was it the price or did you have other technical aspect in you choice.

why skip the 6700K and why not the 5930K

Because some gamers think a $350 CPU is too cheap for their 3-way SLI TitanX. 

Haswell-E is at the same generation as i7 4790K. Of course Skylake will have better IPC for being latest generation and performs better in games. However, you are telling those rock with 4790K and 4690K, their CPUs are inferior to 6700K, and inadequate for gaming??

Comparing 5820K and 6700K in stock speed just show whoever made the video trying to fool people to think 6700K is so much superior. Without mentioning 5820K can easily be overclocked to 4.5-4.6GHz(mine can do 4.7). I don't think the CPU will be a weak link in any way for gaming. If you only do gaming, stick with 4-core mainstream, and be happy.

i am happy :D

but it's just seeking knowledge

ok i get the point of the stock speed thing but at the same time you can OC a 5960x to 4.6ghz as well  

beeeccccaaauuuuussseee 5820k and the 5930k were meant for a range of things including gaming.

and its a motherboard series.

They wont make a whole "Rendering" series for Extreme edition chips. Its pointless. Its just a motherboard series. 5960x is generally bad for gaming because of the lower clock speed & games don't really ever utilize 6+ cores

and as the user above me said Marketing purposes. 

ok so a 5820k vs 5930k vs 4790k which would do gaming better

and why in the NCIX video that they did a triple 4K gaming why did they use a 5930k at stock speed why not a 4790k at oc speed or 5930k at oc speed or even a 4790k at stock speed?

and why did they say that between the 5930k and the 5960x in gaming you won't see a difference

and why in the NCIX video that they did a triple 4K gaming why did they use a 5930k at stock speed why not a 4790k at oc speed or 5930k at oc speed or even a 4790k at stock speed?

and why did they say that between the 5930k and the 5960x in gaming you won't see a difference

That makes no sense at 4K less stress is taken off of the CPU so how would that prove anything?

Setup

-Snip-

At stock speeds you wont. Because games don't use more then 6 cores. you essentially answered your own question

#1 Depends what game. Some games will take advantage of more cores, other will take advantage of higher clock speeds. Ex) Arma 3

#2 Because the 4790k doesn't have as much Overclocking potential compared to the 5930k, granted they may not have had a 4790k to spare at the time or even had the time to overclock and don't give me any of that auto-overclock bullshit cause we all know that will kill a CPU, It really depends on which one you use. Ex) my ASRock auto tuner could have killed my chip running some 1.4+ volts. Triple 4k is all on the GPU and not as much on the CPU

#3 Like I said before @ stock speeds you wont notice a difference, refer to this video for more cores on games

At stock speeds you wont. Because games don't use more then 6 cores. you essentially answered your own question

#1 Depends what game. Some games will take advantage of more cores, other will take advantage of higher clock speeds. Ex) Arma 3

#2 Because the 4790k doesn't have as much Overclocking potential compared to the 5930k, granted they may not have had a 4790k to spare at the time or even had the time to overclock and don't give me any of that auto-overclock bullshit cause we all know that will kill a CPU, It really depends on which one you use. Ex) my ASRock auto tuner could have killed my chip running some 1.4+ volts. Triple 4k is all on the GPU and not as much on the CPU

#3 Like I said before @ stock speeds you wont notice a difference, refer to this video for more cores on games

well that video proves one thing 4 cores are the best for gaming even better than 6 cores 

That makes no sense at 4K less stress is taken off of the CPU so how would that prove anything?

well it proves that more than 4 cores wont matter for gaming

well that video proves one thing 4 cores are the best for gaming even better than 6 cores 

well it proves that more than 4 cores wont matter for gaming

No, in fact it did not, it proved they where equal. If you noticed, they where all the same except for 2 games, where the 4 core beat the 6 core, but the 6 core also came back and beat the 4 core, don't jump to conclusions so fast.

-snip-

as i said im not buying a new pc im just asking

and why not a 6700k. why a 6600k?

why didn't you get a 4790k was it the price or did you have other technical aspect in you choice.

why skip the 6700K and why not the 5930K

-snip-

For just gaming? There is next to no benefit to the hyperthreading in most cases, thus the 6600K. Also cheaper.

The 4790K didnt exist when I bought the processor. You can check out my semi completed build log in my sig. Look under Chibi PC.

The 6700K is almost as much as the 5820K and yo uget a lot more for your money with the 5820K, in the CPU itself and the platform. If yo udont need teh better platform save yourself some money and get the 6600K since all you get is hyperthreading and a small bump in cache. I didnt mention the 5930K since it nearly 2x as much and your average gamer wouldnt need the lanes.

basically the thought is if you can fit the 6700K in you budget spend just that little more and fit the 5820K. Otherwise just save your money and get a 6600K.

No, in fact it did not, it proved they where equal. If you noticed, they where all the same except for 2 games, where the 4 core beat the 6 core, but the 6 core also came back and beat the 4 core, don't jump to conclusions so fast.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/amd-directx-12-will-finally-unlock-true-potential-your-multi-core-cpu

what about that would that change how core count matter for games

http://www.winbeta.org/news/amd-directx-12-will-finally-unlock-true-potential-your-multi-core-cpu

what about that would that change how core count matter for games

There is no point in buying hardware based on what if's, especially since things change so quickly. Also intel's quad cores still thrash AMD octa cores even in highly threaded tests.