Building PfSense Router Out of an Old Q6600 Desktop!

TheGeeker

DISCLAIMER!!! This is in no way practical, cost-effective, or reasonably logical to build yourself a router. I am doing this because I HAD a system unused and I LOVE to do these kind of fun projects. This is in No way for saving money or time!

So here it is. I was inspired by Linus's video here: 

And took my plan into action after watching this:

Hardware specs I am using:

Q6600 http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Foxconn G33M http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186125

6Gb DDR2

480w Thermaltake Psu

Intel Pro/1000 Quad Port Gigabit Nic

ARK 3U390A Black 3U Rackmount Server Case http://www.ebay.com/itm/381043264735?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Colored Cat6 Cables! Lol Love these!

I will be using this as a house wide firewall and anti virus. Maybe do some more things with it not sure yet. This will be rackmounted above my Freenas box. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/431771-my-freenas-build-update-1/ 

Will post pictures of my rack setup after I cable manage and get all the parts for this thing in and up and running!

Will keep this updated regularly.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Reserved 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

How many motherboards did it cost you? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

At least 2 if i do it right with ecc ram and stuff. But my FreeNas box wont get ecc until I build a new pc and take the Z97 Ar out of it and just buy a server board for it. 

DISCLAIMER!!! This is in no way practical, cost-effective, or reasonably logical to build yourself a router. I am doing this because I HAD a system unused and I LOVE to do these kind of fun projects. This is in No way for saving money or time!

What? It's totally practical, cost-effective and logical! You can build an industrial-grade router out of parts from a thrift store or picked out of a skip! it doesn't even have to cost you that much money as opposed to some expensive and limited router that you can buy at a store. The only reason that more people don't do it is because it requires a little learning!

What? It's totally practical, cost-effective and logical! You can build an industrial-grade router out of parts from a thrift store or picked out of a skip! it doesn't even have to cost you that much money as opposed to some expensive and limited router that you can buy at a store. The only reason that more people don't do it is because it requires a little learning!

Your right. I meant to say not practical for a home network. (In most casses) for me its a good thing to have but most people would just need anyone router and not spending 300*+ dollars on one. (including parts I had)

*Tired me guessing

And he killed the new board and the xeon.  :mellow: just got vessel

I don't know if a processor with 105W of TDP is recommended for router use (24/7). No problem with the processor itself but for the consumption...

I don't know if a processor with 105W of TDP is recommended for router use (24/7). No problem with the processor itself but for the consumption...

(It's not) -- even near idle a simple pentium based system would be paid off after about one year of use.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

(It's not) -- even near idle a simple pentium based system would be paid off after about one year of use.

Yeah, the Q6600 doesn't make sense (better that nothing thought)

Yeah, the Q6600 doesn't make sense (better that nothing thought)

I just am using a system I had if i was buying it I would do something different.

I just am using a system I had if i was buying it I would do something different.

Something worth considering, it might actually be cheaper to just buy a more modern system depending on load factors/the cost of electricity/how long you actualy intend to use it for. 

I have a Q6600 with an 8800GT and a 750w PSU and it was actually cheaper for me to buy a Pentium based system than to run that Q6600 system 24/7 (for about 1 year~) for my FreeNAS server. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Something worth considering, it might actually be cheaper to just buy a more modern system depending on load factors/the cost of electricity/how long you actualy intend to use it for. 

I have a Q6600 with an 8800GT and a 750w PSU and it was actually cheaper for me to buy a Pentium based system than to run that Q6600 system 24/7 (for about 1 year~) for my FreeNAS server. 

Its not really an option at this point. My parents are crazy about upfront costs and are used to a high power bill. About 800 bucks for us per month so yeah...

Its not really an option at this point. My parents are crazy about upfront costs and are used to a high power bill. About 800 bucks for us per month so yeah...

fair enough 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler