I accidentally nudged the end of my lense

Skreedles

I was taking a photo and I accidentally nudged the end of the lens, I'm wondering if it would have hurt the lens?

? did the element move?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I'm not sure, and what do you mean by did it move?

did the glass shift? or are you paranoid and in reality you just touched it?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

did the glass shift? or are you paranoid and in reality you just touched it?

Probably just paranoid, but, when I extend my lens now it makes a slight squealing sound.

Probably just paranoid, but, when I extend my lens now it makes a slight squealing sound.

do the pictuers look the same?

Could have damaged the focus motor

that said my lenses get banged around like crazy and ive never had an issue

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

:rolleyes:  Now that depends on the type of lens we buy, no?  Cheap lenses with plastic bodies aren't known for being durable.

When the OP says "nudged", how hard of a nudge are we talking about here?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

:rolleyes:  Now that depends on the type of lens we buy, no?  Cheap lenses with plastic bodies aren't known for being durable.

I wasnt saying it was a good idea :P just that they are more robust than people think (like my 400d falling into the water in hong kong), I dropped my A7 with kit lens at the time lens down when it was attached to my shoulder rig...and it just bounced up

but its one of those things, that sometimes a tiny nudge can break things cheaper lenses are especially more prone, and focus motors can be damaged easily 

Agreed "nudged" kind of implies a very low impact? or does nudge mean you smashed it into a brick wall :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My samyang 85mm got its rear mount popped off for some god forsaken reason, but as soon as I screwed it back on, its like nothing happened. Aperture ring's fine, the elements are clean, so on and so forth.

Edit: Still, nothing wrong with being careful. Accidents just happen. Some douche thought his 24-70 f2.8 was a tank... till the front element cracked... 

Pretty lightly and by nudged i mean pressed against.

Pretty lightly and by nudged i mean pressed against.

Normally I would say it's fine, no problem. But if you keep hearing that sound there may be a slight problem with the mechanism inside. Which lens is it exactly? You need to be a bit more careful with lenses that extend the barrel for zooming and focusing. I think something inside got jammed or misaligned, you didn't break a thing.

Don't bother getting it serviced if it's a cheap lens like the 18-55 kits. But for higher end lenses, weigh in cost to have it checked vs continued usability.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The most common effect of nudging a lens is that it gets decentered.

If it is decentered you'll see that the sharpness drops on one side or corner of the image.