5D Mark II vs. 6D vs. 7D

Flight1sim

I can get them each for under $1000 on ebay, now which one is the best???

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

5d MK II, if you can afford the FF lenses.  Otherwise go 7D.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

im getting the 24-105L no matter what DSLR

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Having worked with the 5D Mark II it's amazing, and durable as all hell. We accidentally dropped our rental in the mud and then just washed it off with a hose.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

im getting the 24-105L no matter what DSLR

For that lens, forget the cropped sensor 7D.  With the crop factor your lens will act like a 38.4-168mm lens, you are losing the 24mm wide angle side of things.

As for 5DmkII and 6D, I guess it is a matter of your preference as both are FF cameras I believe.  The 6D is slightly newer while the 5DmkII has been a well applauded workhorse.  I recommend you compare the specs for the two, read some online reviews from good sources, and figure out which camera performs better for the features you need most.

EDIT: I've owned the 24-105 and a 5DmkII, from my experience the 5DmkII has fixed pattern noise issues and the 24-105 is a pretty decent lens.  It's not the best quality lens, but it performs very well in the mid level range of things.  I've never used the 6D so can't tell you anything about it.

Comparison of 6D to 5DmkII

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would go for the 5DMKII. Though the 6D is newer, the 5DMKII is still a fantastic full frame camera.

If I was to suggest a Nikon side, I would say the D750.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

For that lens, forget the cropped sensor 7D.  With the crop factor your lens will act like a 38.4-168mm lens, you are losing the 24mm wide angle side of things.

As for 5DmkII and 6D, I guess it is a matter of your preference as both are FF cameras I believe.  The 6D is slightly newer while the 5DmkII has been a well applauded workhorse.  I recommend you compare the specs for the two, read some online reviews from good sources, and figure out which camera performs better for the features you need most.

EDIT: I've owned the 24-105 and a 5DmkII, from my experience the 5DmkII has fixed pattern noise issues and the 24-105 is a pretty decent lens.  It's not the best quality lens, but it performs very well in the mid level range of things.  I've never used the 6D so can't tell you anything about it.

Comparison of 6D to 5DmkII

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II

i will be buying a wide angle lens later, and I know someone with crop sensor+25-105 and he says it's not too tightly zoomed.

Also the 24-105 is worlds better than my current 18-135 (EFS)

i will be buying a wide angle lens later, and I know someone with crop sensor+25-105 and he says it's not too tightly zoomed.

Also the 24-105 is worlds better than my current 18-135 (EFS)

Which wide angle lens are you planning to buy, the expensive FF 16-35mm type of lens or a cheaper cropped sensor 10-20mm type wide angle?  Your decision on camera body might depend on this question now.

Having worked with the 5D Mark II it's amazing, and durable as all hell. We accidentally dropped our rental in the mud and then just washed it off with a hose.

I would go for the 5DMKII. Though the 6D is newer, the 5DMKII is still a fantastic full frame camera.

If I was to suggest a Nikon side, I would say the D750.

The 5D's burst rate seems sorta sad :P

Which wide angle lens are you planning to buy, the expensive FF 16-35mm type of lens or a cheaper cropped sensor 10-20mm type wide angle?  Your decision on camera body might depend on this question now.

not sure atm, but i've already framed an idea of where the 24-105's range would start on crop, and it's not terrible

The 5D's burst rate seems sorta sad :P

not sure atm, but i've already framed an idea of where the 24-105's range would start on crop, and it's not terrible

Don't base your decision on the votes here.  Base it on what you require in a camera.  I'm not voting for any of these cameras, because I don't know what your requirements are, and I consider the poll here to be stupid.

EDIT: As for the burst rate, unfortunately unlike Nikon you cannot make it faster using a battery grip.  When I had my Nikon D700 it was 5fps normal and I could boost it to 8fps using the battery grip and battery for the Nikon D3.

Oh, and also base your decision on what you are going to be using the camera for.  E.g. For sports photography, FF is less of an importance (unless you work for a magazine or news agency and they can pay you for the gear so you might as well get a Canon 1Dx) than having the faster burst rate.  So in this respect the 7D with 8fps is faster, and the cropped factor can be treated as a sort of further reach to capture the action in the distant area of the stadium.

The 5D lineup is actually a really good work horse DSLR. The MKII was actually really good that its debatable if you really need the MKIII.

What is the best camera? Depends.

Which sensor is best, 6D hands down

Which build quality is the best 7D / 5D (same build)

Which burst rate is highest, 7D with 8FPS

These cameras are made for very different people. The 6D is an entry level full frame, but canon packed it with the best sensor on the market, being beaten in ISO competition ONLY by the 1Dx - the image quality is rated higher than the 5D MK III - however, the feature set of the 6D is limited (1/160s flash sync comes to mind as one of the largest downers).

5D II ONLY if you are going to need a higher flash sync speed than 1/160s and if you need a touch better build quality (the 6D Is no slouch)

Don't get a 7D . . . the 7D II can be had for 1200 on ebay in the States, and you can get one used for a little better from time to time. Only save up for the 7D II if you need the benefit of crop sensors, because if you don't need the benefits, the downfalls will eat you alive.

Crop sensors

- Good

- Crop value gives lenses extra reach: Wildlife photography

- Fast frames per second due to smaller image files: Wildlife photography

- FAST autofocus system: Action / sports / Wildlife Photography

- Cons

- Noise at ISO above 400 on 7D Mark I

- No real detail in the pixels just feels blah at 100%

- NO cropping value - you will lose image quality if you crop

Full Frame

- Good

- Extreme low light cameras (won a contest with an image shot at 12,800 ISO with the 6D)

- Juicy pixels - very pleasing

- Room to crop - Looks almost as good as a crop sensor when cropped to the same detail level IF needed

- Cons

- Poor focus systems (5D II and 6D)

- Slow frames per second shooting

- Requires EF lenses *(expensive glass)*

If you are doing videos, family photos, and just messing around - get the 6D. If you are using this in a studio setting, get the 5D II, if you are going to get a 500-600mm Lens and attempt wildlife get the 7D MK II (NOT the mk I - ISO is a nightmare on this camera)

I have used all three professionally for years, I ended up selling my 7D and 5D II and still have my 6D because it is a low light workhorse. However, I still use my 7D II for all wildlife. Your needs though may very.

See some examples here www.pbase.com/codyconway

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

What is the best camera? Depends.

Which sensor is best, 6D hands down

Which build quality is the best 7D / 5D (same build)

Which burst rate is highest, 7D with 8FPS

These cameras are made for very different people. The 6D is an entry level full frame, but canon packed it with the best sensor on the market, being beaten in ISO competition ONLY by the 1Dx - the image quality is rated higher than the 5D MK III - however, the feature set of the 6D is limited (1/160s flash sync comes to mind as one of the largest downers).

5D II ONLY if you are going to need a higher flash sync speed than 1/160s and if you need a touch better build quality (the 6D Is no slouch)

Don't get a 7D . . . the 7D II can be had for 1200 on ebay in the States, and you can get one used for a little better from time to time. Only save up for the 7D II if you need the benefit of crop sensors, because if you don't need the benefits, the downfalls will eat you alive.

Crop sensors

- Good

- Crop value gives lenses extra reach: Wildlife photography

- Fast frames per second due to smaller image files: Wildlife photography

- FAST autofocus system: Action / sports / Wildlife Photography

- Cons

- Noise at ISO above 400 on 7D Mark I

- No real detail in the pixels just feels blah at 100%

- NO cropping value - you will lose image quality if you crop

Full Frame

- Good

- Extreme low light cameras (won a contest with an image shot at 12,800 ISO with the 6D)

- Juicy pixels - very pleasing

- Room to crop - Looks almost as good as a crop sensor when cropped to the same detail level IF needed

- Cons

- Poor focus systems (5D II and 6D)

- Slow frames per second shooting

- Requires EF lenses *(expensive glass)*

If you are doing videos, family photos, and just messing around - get the 6D. If you are using this in a studio setting, get the 5D II, if you are going to get a 500-600mm Lens and attempt wildlife get the 7D MK II (NOT the mk I - ISO is a nightmare on this camera)

I have used all three professionally for years, I ended up selling my 7D and 5D II and still have my 6D because it is a low light workhorse. However, I still use my 7D II for all wildlife. Your needs though may very.

See some examples here www.pbase.com/codyconway

mother of god that was the best answer i have ever seen on this forum!!!! :DD

I agree with you, with the way things are going money wise, I might be able to get a 7D mk II/6D. NO matter what body, I will get the 24-105 4fL lens (rip wide angle for the 7D2)

Also, what photo editing software do you use, i might have to buy adobe Lightroom after all, my trial ended today :((((

Adobe Lightroom is the industry standard, now that Apple has ended Aperture (more like integrated Aperture and iPhoto into the new Photo app).

You can also go for Capture One or DxO OpticsPro, they are very good but in my opinion they aren't as simple to use as Lightroom.

Adobe Lightroom is the industry standard, now that Apple has ended Aperture.

You can also go for Capture One or DxO OpticsPro, but they aren't as simple to use as Lightroom.

:( that sucks, I've been using lightroom for months (through multiple devices and accounts etc) and today my trial ended on my macbook and I'm fed up with switching devices, might have to start paying for it :( (much $$)

:( that sucks, I've been using lightroom for months (through multiple devices and accounts etc) and today my trial ended on my macbook and I'm fed up with switching devices, might have to start paying for it :( (much $$)

1. Read my comment again, I edited the part about Aperture.

2. Adobe Lightroom is worth the investment.  Not only is it a "lightroom" for editing digital photos, but it's also a library for managing them and for printing photos yourself at a higher level than just pressing print in an image preview software like Microsoft Photo viewer.  Additionally it uses Adobe Camera Raw, so you will always be updated to the latest versions and camera profiles.

3. Another point you need to consider, what do you mean by "editing photos"?  Normal stuff like changing aspect ratio, adjusting highlights, shadows, etc. or stuff like manipulating images, working with layers, creating composite images, etc?  For the latter part I recommend you also get Photoshop, or at least PS Elements.

Creative cloud photographer package. 9.99 a month and you get Lightroom and photoshop. Full versions.

Get the 10-18mm lens for the 7D Mk II it's a beast wide angle and extremely sharp at 17mm equivalent

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

Creative cloud photographer package. 9.99 a month and you get Lightroom and photoshop. Full versions.

Get the 10-18mm lens for the 7D Mk II it's a beast wide angle and extremely sharp at 17mm equivalent

Will keep that in mind. Also found out my school's giving me the entire CC suite for free tomorrow :D

Will keep that in mind. Also found out my school's giving me the entire CC suite for free tomorrow :D

The photographer package from Adobe for Lightroom and Photoshop is well worth it, but if you are going to get the entire CC suite for free when people like me are paying hundreds a year... may you live in interesting times and may you attract the attention of the authorities.  B)

The photographer package from Adobe for Lightroom and Photoshop is well worth it, but if you are going to get the entire CC suite for free when people like me are paying hundreds a year... may you live in interesting times and may you attract the attention of the authorities.  B)

the school has some agreement thing so students in the yearbook class are allowed full access to the cc library

the school has some agreement thing so students in the yearbook class are allowed full access to the cc library

Yeah I know, when I was in uni students received huge discounts on software and hardware, if things were not free.