PC restarting while gaming

anuj01

But checked the max tdp of my all components on their peak usage, it was only 303W

But checked the max tdp of my all components on their peak usage, it was only 303W

true but if it is a bad PSU it may not be able to supply the full current. I would contact the manufacture of the psu and try to get it replaced.

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Ya, I contacted corsair technical support but they are yet to reply.

ive had to replace a Corsair PSU at work before they are good about taking care of you. 

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

estimated peak usage, other factors will change these results sometimes. Did you take into account your keyboard, and other usb devices you plugged in, these all draw power too

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

estimated peak usage, other factors will change these results sometimes. Did you take into account your keyboard, and other usb devices you plugged in, these all draw power too

Even the most crap keyboard/mouse shouldn't draw more than 2-3W, since most USB devices work with less than 500mA.

What I would suggest to OP is that he should test his power supply in another PC, if the PSU is not the problem, the problem could be on the motherboard.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

My specs

i5 4440

Gigabyte H97M mobo

GTX 960 4 gb (strix)

Kingston HyperX fury 2 x 4gb

Corsair vs450

I can almost guarantee that your power supply is the issue.

I had the exact same issue but with a 1000W power supply. It would keep failing under load.

The worst part is that the paper clip test cannot verify this issue.

The best way to test is run a benchmark test (very intensive) and see if you can get it to fail immediately.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Even yesterday I ran stress tests using prime95, msi kombustor and Intel extreme tuning. I first ran the test on individual components. While CPU and ram test, they were under 100 % utilization. Test ran perfectly. But while gpu test, the test would run for 5-10 seconds and the PC used to restart.

I also ran stress tests without gpu, CPU and ram test were perfect, but again during gpu test ( Intel HD 4600), PC restarted few seconds after the test starts.

I also ran stress tests without gpu, CPU and ram test were perfect, but again during gpu test ( Intel HD 4600), PC restarted few seconds after the test starts.

Then either your GPU is drawing far more power than your PSU can handle, or its defective somehow. 

Even the most crap keyboard/mouse shouldn't draw more than 2-3W, since most USB devices work with less than 500mA.

What I would suggest to OP is that he should test his power supply in another PC, if the PSU is not the problem, the problem could be on the motherboard.

I agree but for instance, if his system is running at or near peak load, those can still have an effect. I also agree it needs to be tested on its own

--Thread killer--

Well, as everyone else said, probably an issue with the Power Supply. I have kinda a similar setup to you, except with... specs underneath the comment by default. My PowerSupply is much more powerful and with a similar setup and even more in my system (drives and such) my system runs fine. Deffo consider the PSU thing dude. When Benchmarking, the GPU will most likely take more power than the CPU, especially depending on heat output of each device, and also considering the GPU gets to higher temperatures as you previously said, therefore meaning the GPU might not have enough power for the fans or to just run at all. With a GPU like that, the things tend to "boost" their clock speed up a little bit by default, which does increase the power consumption, but not by a lot.

If you need to, and if you can; consider underclocking your GPU a little to see if you can then run a Benchmark. If not, then as I said, look into the PowerSupply thing. Maybe remove one of your drives if you need to, just to see the result.

Post if you still have issues.

-Drew

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz (5GHzBoost) | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [BOOT]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: 800W something | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p 16:9; Yuraku 19" monitor | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition [Green Switches] | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula | Audio: Razer Tiamat 2.2+ Razer Hammerheads Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

But if it's a psu problem, I also ran stress test without a gpu. The PC still restarted during gpu test.

But if it's a psu problem, I also ran stress test without a gpu. The PC still restarted during gpu test.

yes the GPU is a power hungry monster, they all are, they require their own power connectors they use so much power, they can use hundreds of watts, it is undoubtedly your PSU. 

Ran the test without a GPU then how could you A. see the computer B. run the GPU test? 

Your particular GPU pulls around 120 watts when at load 

your CPU takes only 65 watts at max load. 

Your PSU is only capable of handling 450 watts, because you didn't list all your parts i can't check how much power you are taking up, but i guarantee its your PSU's built in protection which keeps it from exploding when you pull too much power through it. 

Try a different PSU something 500 watts or more

--Thread killer--

Today I brought my friends Corsair VS450 to check if the fault was in my psu. And you were correct. I ran CPU and gpu stress test for 2 hours and my PC did not restart even a single time. I also played Battlefield 4 and GTA V for about 1 hour each. Absolutely no problem

I submitted my psu at the corsair service center. They will do the further repairs.

Well there ya' go then. For future proofing, I would look into getting something like a 650W PSU, as can definitely power your system, with the with some room for future upgrades.

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz (5GHzBoost) | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [BOOT]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: 800W something | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p 16:9; Yuraku 19" monitor | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Tournament Edition [Green Switches] | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula | Audio: Razer Tiamat 2.2+ Razer Hammerheads Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Ya, for now I will continue using this psu, next time I upgrade any hardware, I will buy a new psu also