6600k vs 4690k

if you want the features of the z170 chipset then 6600k if not then save some money and go for the 4690k

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

6600k,No point in choosing the 4690k unless you wanna save a few dollars..

if you can get a 6600K at the normal price (some online retailers went bananas on the price) you should get the 6600K

Depends on whether or not you want the features of the z170 chipset, which basically amounts to 20PCIe gen 3 lanes on the PCH. I would very much like... but don't really need.

Depends on whether or not you want the features of the z170 chipset, which basically amounts to 20PCIe gen 3 lanes on the PCH. I would very much like... but don't really need.

well... my view on this is if he gets a 6600K, he'll get the latest platform, and actually... the price isnt different enough to get an older product IMO.

(local retailer: 4690K = €264   6600K = €279)

maybe he wont use those features now, but he might in the future, as well as buying into DDR4 now, and not having to bother in the next upgrade.

(8GB corsair vengeance LPX = €71   8GB corsair vengeance LP = €54)

not counting in the mobo, because it's hard to pick "the same mobo for a different generation" would be €32 (if my math isnt off...)

thats less than the price of a decent hard drive.