Does Length matter

Hi,

I am new to watercooling and my last build was in 2004 so I am behind the times.  My question is about the length of the loop between units.  For instance do I want to have the shortest lengths in between or can I make a design out of the loops?  I haven't read anywhere that there was any significant difference, but seeing what the fine folks here have to say? 

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

It's not the length that matters, it's the girth. - Linus Sebastian

I don't think it would make a difference, but loops generally look better the cleaner they are.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

It's not about how long it is, it's about how you use it.

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Using hydro-physics, yes it would take more power, but not a significant amount. Where you run into problems is adding more "girth" to the tubing because now you have to push way, way more water through the loop.

Intel i7-5820k OC'ed to 4.2GHz @1.225 V; w/ Corsair H110i GTX2x Asus Strix 980ti's; Asus Rampage V Extreme; 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistics GDDR4 RAM; EVGA 1000P2 psu

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8608142 boost clock of 1493MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jjar35/saved/#view=ghCWGX + 43" 4k Vizio M-Series TV

Hi,

I am new to watercooling and my last build was in 2004 so I am behind the times.  My question is about the length of the loop between units.  For instance do I want to have the shortest lengths in between or can I make a design out of the loops?  I haven't read anywhere that there was any significant difference, but seeing what the fine folks here have to say? 

Not particularly, a long loop with a bunch of sharp bends can increase flow resistance slightly, but you likely wouldn't see any major performance difference providing you have a proper pump.

So long as you have a sufficiently powerful pump, more volume in your tubes will basically act as a larger reservoir.

Nope. It's all about that...

sticker,375x360.u2.png

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Hi,

The cleanest loop will have the shortest lengths between components, but it's not absolutely necessary for flow as the D5 and DDC pumps should be able to push through it regardless. Plus depending on how you design your loop, you may end up with one really long run anyway. For example I have a line that runs from the front of the case all the way to the back of the case to reach the VRMs, but the lines between everything else are as short as I could make them.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Roger wilco....was hoping that title would work ;)   Thanks for the feedback all now onto picking out the case that will handle the design

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse