Laptop Choice?

NJMevec
Go to solution Solved by nishit.agarwal44,

Have a look at eurocom's website

So, I just posted up a question on a "gaming" laptop from Sager. I need a laptop that allows me to do some video editing, coding (mostly Java for now, will be branching out extensively in the next year), notes in class, but I also want to game on it. I'm okay if I can't play Battlefield 4 Ultra at 1045424 FPS. I'll settle for high or medium at 50-60. I honestly don't care that much as I'm a casual gamer. I'm honestly cool if I can't play BF4. Minecraft will suffice for in between classes. I just want a great display (preferably over 1080p) and something that's functional. Any tips? Dell XPS? Surface Pro 4 (due for release when I'll be looking for a new laptop)? Sager NP9773? Dell XPS 13? Razer Blade 2015? Spam whatever you think your favorite high end laptop is in the comment and give me random research material!!!!!

budget?

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

budget?

Um...Under $3500? Basically if it's worth the money for the hardware inside I'll be game to look at it. Not paying for just a name on this.

Um...Under $3500? Basically if it's worth the money for the hardware inside I'll be game to look at it. Not paying for just a name on this.

GT80 TITAN

i7 + 980m sli + cherry mx mechanical keyboard.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

GT80 TITAN

i7 + 980m sli + cherry mx mechanical keyboard.

MSI GT80

Ehhh....I think it's kind of ugly but I'll take a look at it more in detail. Then again I'm kind of ugly but some people love me too :lol:

Ehhh....I think it's kind of ugly but I'll take a look at it more in detail. Then again I'm kind of ugly but some people love me too :lol:

the GT80 is the ultimate laptop at $3K, you get pretty much ban i7 and a 980 ti on the desktop side.

Rigs I've Built

Sager NP9752-S with the following upgrades is the model I mentioned in the other thread; 4790K, (970m is stock on this model), Raid 0 for the M.2 drives, add another M.2 850 EVO (first one is stock), 330W adapter, and please, for the love of god, switch the NIC to the Intel NIC. I chose to remove branding because, well, why not. I'll be using this device for workstation emulation (virtualization) first, gaming second. Total cost with a $49 rush production fee was $2133.01. Hope that helps, some ;P

EDIT: Ordered from XoticPC

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

What Part does make it "ugly" ?

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Sager NP9752-S with the following upgrades is the model I mentioned in the other thread; 4790K, (970m is stock on this model), Raid 0 for the M.2 drives, add another M.2 850 EVO (first one is stock), 330W adapter, and please, for the love of god, switch the NIC to the Intel NIC. I chose to remove branding because, well, why not. I'll be using this device for workstation emulation (virtualization) first, gaming second. Total cost with a $49 rush production fee was $2133.01. Hope that helps, some ;P

EDIT: Ordered from XoticPC

Sager is definitely one I'm considering, the one I mentioned in the other thread configured stock with the 330W and the 480 gb SSD as C Drive.

What Part does make it "ugly" ?

#1 The gold keycaps (I think they are removable but really? WHY?!?)

#2 The HUGE space between the back of the keyboard and the screen (I understand WHY on this but I still don't really like it)

#3 You can't balance the laptop on your lap for typing due to that huge gap and mech keyboard. Again, I'll really consider it and I really wish I could HANDLE one before I drop $3 grand on a laptop.

#4 I'm taking this to and from school. It's HUGE.

#1 The MX Brown is a HUGE win (my favorite Cherry switch).

#2 I will say that when closed it is absolutely gorgeous. Very thick but I don't care.

#3 num lock feature is cool

#4 That backspace...as much as I hate it the ease of upgrading the storage is just....*drools*

#5 It's HUGE...screen is gorgeous and the hardware is insane.

Sager is definitely one I'm considering, the one I mentioned in the other thread configured stock with the 330W and the 480 gb SSD as C Drive.

#1 The gold keycaps (I think they are removable but really? WHY?!?)

#2 The HUGE space between the back of the keyboard and the screen (I understand WHY on this but I still don't really like it)

#3 You can't balance the laptop on your lap for typing due to that huge gap and mech keyboard. Again, I'll really consider it and I really wish I could HANDLE one before I drop $3 grand on a laptop.

#4 I'm taking this to and from school. It's HUGE.

#1 The MX Brown is a HUGE win (my favorite Cherry switch).

#2 I will say that when closed it is absolutely gorgeous. Very thick but I don't care.

#3 num lock feature is cool

#4 That backspace...as much as I hate it the ease of upgrading the storage is just....*drools*

#5 It's HUGE...screen is gorgeous and the hardware is insane.

you ask for 3K then there it is or get Lenovo Y40 and give that shit some SSD

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

Consider the NP8652-S. But I'd suggest you wait a little, because the Skylake variant is coming. My local Clevo reseller is already selling the Skylake variant.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

you ask for 3K then there it is or get Lenovo Y40 and give that shit some SSD

I was asked budget meaning what's my max price. I didn't say I only wanted a $3K laptop.

Consider the NP8652-S. But I'd suggest you wait a little, because the Skylake variant is coming. My local Clevo reseller is already selling the Skylake variant.

I'm definitely waiting for Skylake. Bump in batt life.

Have a look at eurocom's website

I think I'm in love...I wasn't even expecting a good 4K panel but they did it. Thanks a million I've never heard of them!

I think I'm in love...I wasn't even expecting a good 4K panel but they did it. Thanks a million I've never heard of them!

Eurocom is actually more or less the same Sager. They both sell Clevo barebones. So ultimately the decision is whether you like Sager or Eurocom more.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Eurocom is actually more or less the same Sager. They both sell Clevo barebones. So ultimately the decision is whether you like Sager or Eurocom more.

It seems Eurocoms prices are just a hair cheaper, though I have yet to compare them side by side with the same parts. I'll do that once skylake is out :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Have you purchased the laptop?

Have you purchased the laptop?

not yet