Crash to vertical lines

Chris93
Go to solution Solved by Chris93,

If you'd try the GPU in a different pc it'd be nice, just to confirm if it's broken or could be something else.

I switched my card with the one in my brothers system (GTX 570)  and now his system is crashing the same way mine did before. My system does not crash anymore with his card. I guess that means my card is defect.

Going to look into buying a new one tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help guys. :)

Hello

my computer started crashing yesterday. Most of the time the screen displays a bunch of vertical lines in varying colors but sometimes it just goes completely black or white.

It happens most often while playing games but sometimes even while browsing the Internet. It can happen after one minute or after half an hour. Seems quite random.

I tried reinstalling the operating system (Windows 10 64bit), checking CPU/GPU temperatures and testing the RAM by switching the sticks around but nothing helped.

I would be very happy if someone found a solution to the Problem :)

Specifications:

CPU: Intel I7-3770

GPU: Asus HD7970

RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

PSU: Be Quiet 580W

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V

Soundcard: Asus Phoebus

Let me know if you need any additional Information.

Thanks for your answer Dan :)

So you think the power supply might be defective? How can I test this? I don't have another power supply with enough power.

Thanks for your answer Dan :)

So you think the power supply might be defective? How can I test this? I don't have another power supply with enough power.

possibly, wouldnt know how2test tho

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Does someone know how I can test if the power supply is defective without replacing it?

I would try to remove the gpu and use your integrated graphics. Really sounds like a gpu issue because I had one on an old laptop. If that is the case RMA your GPU.

The computer crashes pretty much instantly while running FurMark GPU stress test if the GPU is connected but does not crash when running the same test with integrated graphics. What does that tell us? 

edit: I have a 430W PSU laying around. Can I use that somehow?

edit2: Could this be a motherboard issue? Haven't crashed since I switched the GPU to another PCIE slot.

Do you have another GPU to test?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

edit2: Could this be a motherboard issue? Haven't crashed since I switched the GPU to another PCIE slot.

yes it could, maybe a damaged bridge or pcie slot

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Make sure gpu is on its own (2 of its own maybe? try using 2 6pins from different rails) rail(s)- your psu has 4 rails. (It should already be using its own but...)

Otherwise dust removal and make sure pci bus connection is solid.

580 watts with 4 rails... even though its gold rated, it could be old enough to where it doesnt provide enough power/ stable enough power at high loads due to degredation.

ie. How old is it?

Thanks for the answers guys.

I did not crash since I moved the GPU to another slot. So I am going to guess it was a motherboard issue until it crashes again. :)

I will come back to you guys if that happens.

edit: The PSU is two years old.

Okay it crashed again :(

My PSU has two connections labelled PCIE 1 and PCIE 2. Are these two on different rails?

edit: I could maybe get my brothers GTX570. Would that help?

edit2: Something I have not mentioned yet but might be important: I have trouble restarting the computer after a crash. There is no signal to the monitor but everything else (fans, lights) is fine. I have to restart a bunch of times to get it to work again.

edit3: Could I use my 430W PSU to exclusively power my GPU and the 580W PSU to power the rest?

It says what connectors are on what rail on the side of the psu. I can look that up when I get to a desktop.

That could be psu or gpu or mobo.

Do you have onboard video? Remove the gpu and see if it boots normally with that.

This is going to be tough to isolate.. Yes you could technically try that for troubleshooting- you short the black and green pins on the 430 watt. That will turn it on- I'll get you a picture soon. That actually might be a great help.

Well my 430W power supply does not have the right connectors for the GPU.

Okay I have the GPU running on PCIe 1 and 3. The sound card is on PCIe 2 if that matters. Lets see how it goes.

edit: It crashed again...

As far as I know we don't have dedicated surge protection in the house. Altough I do not know exactly what a surge protector is.

Are you sure the GPU is OK? What are the drivers installed?

This is a signature.

Are you sure the GPU is OK? What are the drivers installed?

I do not know if the GPU is alright. The drivers are the current ones according to AMD's auto detect utility.

8tWs8bT.png

I do not know if the GPU is alright. The drivers are the current ones according to AMD's auto detect utility.

That isn't a reference model, right? it looks OCed

This is a signature.