Which 980 Ti

iTzNiK

I am in the process of completing my first ever build however I am unsure of which GTX 980 Ti I should purchase. I am leaning towards the Zotac Amp! Extreme. Any opinions?

I am in the process of completing my first ever build however I am unsure of which GTX 980 Ti I should purchase. I am leaning towards the Zotac Amp! Extreme. Any opinions?

Opt for the STRIX as the Zotac card has a funky PCB.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Go for the one which has the best aesthtics for your case/build.

Zotac is useful if your looking at watercooling at some point though.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Budget?

The Zotac is a good choice, although there are other choices such as the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, EVGA or MSI

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Msi or gigabyte are best imo but evga and asua aren't bad and zotac is also really good but i opt for msi or gigabyte than zotac

Budget?

The Zotac is a good choice, although there are other choices such as the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, EVGA or MSI

anything around 900 CAD i heard some bad stories about the G1 but  never hear much about the zotac so idk.

STRIX all the way!!!

or get what ever you think looks cool as another said, its still a 980 ti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BiS GPU

is cooling on the strix better than the zotac amp extreme?

I'm having the same problem as you mate.

I'm leaning towards a hybrid with water cooling because the 980 Ti tends to run hot.

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

980Ti LIGHTNING. Strix sucks. I had it and its probably the worst 980TI next to the EVGA 980TI 

if lightning isn't an option what is your other suggestion?

You plan on watercooling ?

Spoiler

Zotac AMP! 

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

if lightning isn't an option what is your other suggestion?

The MSI Gaming is what I would go with. I have tried most all the 980ti's and found the MSI cards seem to be the best this time around as far as the perfect combonation of temps, noise levels, and overclock potential. I have tested the Zotac, Asus, EVGA, and MSI. MSI was the best all around card.

980Ti LIGHTNING. Strix sucks. I had it and its probably the worst 980TI next to the EVGA 980TI 

The Strix is great, it has a copy-paste job of a matrix 980 PCB basically.

Cooler runs a bit hot, but from reviews I read it's because the fan curve is really lack-luster and keeps the fans spinning really slow to prevent noise.

Lightning doesn't really make a whole lot of sense since it's only $50 cheaper than a Kingpin, and the Kingpin is much better & has way more support, as well as comes with a free shirt xD

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The Strix is great, it has a copy-paste job of a matrix 980 PCB basically.

Cooler runs a bit hot, but from reviews I read it's because the fan curve is really lack-luster and keeps the fans spinning really slow to prevent noise.

Lightning doesn't really make a whole lot of sense since it's only $50 cheaper than a Kingpin, and the Kingpin is much better & has way more support, as well as comes with a free shirt xD

I literately have the Strix sitting next to me right now. It runs way to hot when you try and OC it then the fans get to loud when you need them at a reasonable speed. I have the ACX 2.0 cooler on the card in my system right now and its not that good to be honest. Its better than the Asus cooler but gets to loud to fast for the amount of heat it gets rid of. Also why would you pay $850 for only 72% asic quality with that kind of cooler. Its not the best out there. Its fine if you arent a perfectionist and dont care but if you want the best of the best.....The MSI coolers on this series of 900 cards are the best. 

im not quite sure.

If you plan on watercooling you have to know some 980ti don't have any compatible waterblocks.

Spoiler

I literately have the Strix sitting next to me right now. It runs way to hot when you try and OC it then the fans get to loud when you need them at a reasonable speed. I have the ACX 2.0 cooler on the card in my system right now and its not that good to be honest. Its better than the Asus cooler but gets to loud to fast for the amount of heat it gets rid of. Also why would you pay $850 for only 72% asic quality with that kind of cooler. Its not the best out there. Its fine if you arent a perfectionist and dont care but if you want the best of the best.....The MSI coolers on this series of 900 cards are the best. 

1a1e81886e.jpg

Change the fan curve and replace the thermal paste. The best of the best cooler on the market is the Lighting and thats overpriced as hell

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

You realize the cooler on the 980 TI KP is beast AF right?

People benching 980 TI KP on OCN owners club aren't going over 60c at 100% fan speed @ 1530+ mhz.

I haven't seen a single person with a 980 TI KP that couldn't do 1520+ mhz on the core yet whilst running well past 8000 mhz on the memory, even the ones with 72% ASIC. Seen a few people doing 9000 effective on the VRAM, goodluck doing that on a Hynix card.

If you're going to buy a Lightning for $800, you may as well get a KP instead for $850.  It has WAY better VRAM overclock-ability because it's the only 980 TI with Samsung VRAM chips on the market, it has more extreme overclocking support than any other card right now, and even has a modified engineering BIOS that makes the card perform on par with a Titan X clock for clock.

The sheer amount of support for the KP is insane, any questions you have will be answered by people that designed the card, or have loads of experience with it on water/air/Ln2.  One guy couldn't get past 1500 on his 980 TI KP, and Vince (Kingpin) helped him out and got it all sorted and had his card doing 1530+ no problem.

Titan X vs 980 TI Kingpin comparison @ same clocks:

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3816

Full indepth guide to overclocking the 980 TI KP:

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3820

Not to mention I'm pretty sure you even get a shirt :D

EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-KINGPIN-Edition-Acc

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1a1e81886e.jpg

Change the fan curve and replace the thermal paste. The best of the best cooler on the market is the Lighting and thats overpriced as hell

Of course I changed the fan curve...........I stand by what I said. Also consumers shouldnt have to replace the GPU thermal paste to have it be the best. Also if you are buying high end enthusiast cards you cant even talk about "oh Im buying this because of how great the value is"...These cards are $670+ they arent a value LOL. 

You realize the cooler on the 980 TI KP is beast AF right?

People benching 980 TI KP on OCN owners club aren't going over 60c at 100% fan speed @ 1530+ mhz.

I haven't seen a single person with a 980 TI KP that couldn't do 1520+ mhz on the core yet whilst running well past 8000 mhz on the memory, even the ones with 72% ASIC. Seen a few people doing 9000 effective on the VRAM, goodluck doing that on a Hynix card.

If you're going to buy a Lightning for $800, you may as well get a KP instead for $850.  It has WAY better VRAM overclock-ability because it's the only 980 TI with Samsung VRAM chips on the market, it has more extreme overclocking support than any other card right now, and even has a modified engineering BIOS that makes the card perform on par with a Titan X clock for clock.

The sheer amount of support for the KP is insane, any questions you have will be answered by people that designed the card, or have loads of experience with it on water/air/Ln2.  One guy couldn't get past 1500 on his 980 TI KP, and Vince (Kingpin) helped him out and got it all sorted and had his card doing 1530+ no problem.

Titan X vs 980 TI Kingpin comparison @ same clocks:

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3816

Full indepth guide to overclocking the 980 TI KP:

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3820

What do you not understand LOL? Yeah at 100% speed it better be cool but its loud as fuck. Sure buy the card if you dont mind listening have a wind tunnel next to your desk, but most people want the best noise to heat ratio so thats what I was talking about....Also no one with any self respect would wear that shirt in public so...