Bye bye D-link Hello Asus

Glaith

Anyone used the Asus N55U? If so what are your thoughts?

I am going from a D-link DSL-2642B which has served me well but is starting to hold me back, the wifi drops out all the time. Been a great home router but its time for it to retire.

DSL-2642B_side_zps1736ca2d.png

Asus n55U

This thing not only looks nice but has excelent wifi reviews so im hoping it lives up to its name what are your thoughts on the Asus?

p_500_11_zps7cb94fb2.jpg

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

tp-link for me. I use this: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=Archer+C7

I dont trust asus when they branch off into new areas, wait a while so the long term reviews set in. Thats D link isnt that great anyways so the asus may be an improvement but wait for a while.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

tp-link for me. I use this: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=Archer+C7

I dont trust asus when they branch off into new areas, wait a while so the long term reviews set in. Thats D link isnt that great anyways so the asus may be an improvement but wait for a while.

Better than going Belkin .... er I mean Linksys 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

I have the Asus N66U 'Dark Knight' router (lol copyright?).

I used to have a TP Link mid-range thing and it was rubbish.

Only running stock firmware atm, seen no need to mess with it.

Asus n55U

This thing not only looks nice but has excelent wifi reviews so im hoping it lives up to its name what are your thoughts on the Asus?

No ASUS RT-AC66U? (i.e. ac)

If you have the money for a netgear r6300 I really recommend it, I got one awhile back and it's been nothing but a breeze to set-up and manage things with. 

I was going to buy an asus one like the one you're looking at, but some of the tech's at fry's said they had tons of returns on them because they were overheating apparently. Maybe that issue has been fixed now though

If you're using it for wifi:  My wifi signal goes like 1/4 of a mile from my house with this puppy, it owns lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My uncle has the N55U and from my use with it, it was fantastic, great range all over and outside the house and minimal speed drops with gaming on 3 PC's in the house (my cousins) as well as phones, tablets and such.

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

I haven't gotten in contact with the N55U, but do own a N56U, and couldn't be happier - Great performance, not even the slightest hiccup over my 2 year use. That pattern seems to be the same across all, or at least most of Asus' new routers. I'm never again touching a D-Link, Netgear or Linksys router after having experienced the smoothness of the Asus one.

Cheers,

Linus

So what we have found out is that there are many great decisions without a clear victor. Just pick one thats recommended here and is cheaper then the rest.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Never got a good experience with D-Link, sadly, including their high end models.

I am also looking for a router. For me all I am looking for a dual band Wireless N (or AC draft, I don't care), that provide a solid, reliable, connection both wired and wireless. I don't care about fancy features, and USB ports and such. Right now I have the Linksys WRT160N v2. Sadly DD-WRT firmware hack doesn't work with v2... v1.1 and v3.. no v2 :(

The problem I have, is that on occasion, wireless connection drops, where my wireless PC's end up with limited connection, and requires to be disconnected and reconnected. Sometimes I need to reboot the router. On wire, it's solid.

I was looking at the Apple AirPort Express, but apparently you need to use a special software to communicate with it, and that turned me off. Not only it makes me think of iTunes which I hate as you need 20 super computers to run, the PC version at least, but also OS compatibility. I like to use the latest Windows, I don't feel like waiting for Apple to make an update for it.

Has anyone seen the new Linksys EA series router? It looks like a beast. I might be in the market for a router here within the next month or so and will probably pick that one up.

Hehehehe... EA... xD

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Asus isn't really new in the networking area. Their oldest router (that I know of) is the WL-300 and that was released back in 2002 so they have been making routers for 11 years now.

Anyway, I like Asus routers. I use one myself and it has been working flawlessly since I got it.

Asus isn't really new in the networking area. Their oldest router (that I know of) is the WL-300 and that was released back in 2002 so they have been making routers for 11 years now.

Anyway, I like Asus routers. I use one myself and it has been working flawlessly since I got it.

oops my bad, i ever knew that they ever had routers.

Listen if you care.

Never got a good experience with D-Link, sadly, including their high end models.

I am also looking for a router. For me all I am looking for a dual band Wireless N (or AC draft, I don't care), that provide a solid, reliable, connection both wired and wireless. I don't care about fancy features, and USB ports and such. Right now I have the Linksys WRT160N v2. Sadly DD-WRT firmware hack doesn't work with v2... v1.1 and v3.. no v2 :(

The problem I have, is that on occasion, wireless connection drops, where my wireless PC's end up with limited connection, and requires to be disconnected and reconnected. Sometimes I need to reboot the router. On wire, it's solid.

I was looking at the Apple AirPort Express, but apparently you need to use a special software to communicate with it, and that turned me off. Not only it makes me think of iTunes which I hate as you need 20 super computers to run, the PC version at least, but also OS compatibility. I like to use the latest Windows, I don't feel like waiting for Apple to make an update for it.

If you're good to go with wireless N, checkout the ASUS N66u, it's one of the best wireless N routers out there (you can find raving reviews everywhere).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB