Dual 2x SLi? or SLi + Mismatched GPU's

snyprmasta

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm not sure of any other place that may know the answer to this, as I googled this, and wasn't able to find a reliable answer.  Also I did read through the SLi information guide, and saw some information but not a real answer.  I'm fairly well versed in SLi, I just do not have the resources on hand to test the 2 following questions.

1st Question:  Can you run 2 sets of DUAL SLi in a single machine?  so for example 2x 980's and say 2x 680's (not attempting to run as quad, but 2 sets of dual SLI) I know you can run SLI AND XFire in a single PC (As Linus did on one of his vids), But I'm actually thinking about Running 2x 980 Ti's(SLI) for my 4k Gaming, and 2x Quadro's (in SLI) for 3d Rendering. 

2nd Question:  Is it possible to run a SLI setup along side 2 non-sli mismatched GPU's.  So for example  2x 980's in SLI for gaming, while having a 680, and a Quadro in the remaining 2 expansion slots?  The 680 and the Quadro would be independant, powering their own monitor(s).

Ultimately some of you are wondering what the heck could possibly need such a setup.  Well, need...nothing...benefit from, well I do 3D animations, I'm an avid 4k / Surround gamer, as well as run a few of my own businesses.  So I would like to have a "Command Center" where I would be able to have possible a 3x 1440p surround gaming setup, 3x development monitors for 3D pre/post render edits, and 3x Ancillary (movie, web, music, resources, etc) monitors. 

This is by no means an ideal solution, more of a "Is this a possible solution from 1 computer", and a prelude to a possible birthday present for my dad and his Flight Sim fetish.

I'm not worried much about any of the other components as I have access to high end consumer and server grade components. 

Thank you all in advanced for any and all help!

~Brian

Wait if I read this right... NINE MONITORS?

Also yes I believe this is possible

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Dual sli isn't a thing and you can only match 2 cards that have the same gpu and the same amount of VRAM

So 980 4GB + 980 4GB in SLI works

980 4Gb + 970 4GB does NOT work

980 4GB + 980 6GB does NOT work

(not all options exist, but it's an example)

you CAN use 1 mismatched gpu for physx, but i won't do that because it will just use power most of the time for nothing, it's not worth it.

What you CAN do is using multiple graphics cards but NOT sli'ing them.

For example use 2 identical 980's for the 1440p surround setup and add other graphics cards for the other monitors.

The other monitors will each take care of their own screens, so apart from the SLI 980 setup there is no combined gpu power.

But what i would do is go AMD, they aren't so specific about everything and are a safer bet to get everything working.

Soo ideally 980 SLI (2 cards) for the 3x1440p surround setup, a quadro for the triple monitor 3D thing and a random gpu for the last 3 monitors.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1) Quadros don't use SLI, as SLI is only for things like gaming. They can work together, but not technically in SLI. It will work if you do that.

2) You're still overusing the term SLI. Only the 980s would be in SLI, and only their power could be used in games, but all of them could be used together for productivity work. 

you can SLI quadro's as Nvidia states below:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-sli-technology.html

The point would be to have the 2x 980's in SLI to be used solely for Gaming, while the Quadro's would be used solely for Productivity.

SLI is mostly only for gaming; you can still use the 2x Quadro's without SLI, and select them for the application you use for productivity, to my knowledge.

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C