Why is Price/Perfomance so terrible compared to a decade ago?

DannyDem

I mentioned this in another post aswell and my doubt has to do with the fact that nowadays you have to spend 300-400$ on a GPU to be satisfied for a year or two. 8 Years ago for example you could buy a 8800gt(200$) or a 8800gts(300$) and you would be good to go for 3-4 years easily with all settings maxed up (with AA off), but nowadays you buy a 300$ card just for it to be outdated a couple years later. Im sure there are people who think diffrently and wont agree with me but from my point of view it seems that the price/perfomance ratio when it comes to gpus is incredibily lower than it was almost a decade ago.

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

so to you 3-4 years is long.
but a few years is short.

so basically a few years = 2.   im sorry but my 780 will stay with me longer than 2 years

your logic is wrong

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Okay kiddos:

If you buy a top tier card, it will not be outdated within a year, or two years. The games you play do not magically get harder to run as time goes on. What happens is a few new games come out and they're slightly harder to run.

Or you can do what everyone else does and turn a few settings down.

Your card will last as long as you want it to.

>Have a GTX 960

>Play Call of Duty maxed at 60fps all day

>Star Citizen comes out a few years later and you can't run it maxed out at 60fps

>"QQ OMG WHY ARE GRAFIX CARDS SO BAD AT PRICE TO PERFORMANCE"

so to you 3-4 years is long.
but a few years is short.

so basically a few years = 2.   im sorry but my 780 will stay with me longer than 2 years

your logic is wrong

I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but a few is three.

Games are getting increasingly more demanding faster nowadays

"The internet is a series of tubes"

Okay kiddos:

If you buy a top tier card, it will not be outdated within a year, or two years. The games you play do not magically get harder to run as time goes on. What happens is a few new games come out and they're slightly harder to run.

Or you can do what everyone else does and turn a few settings down.

Your card will last as long as you want it to.

>Have a GTX 960

>Play Call of Duty maxed at 60fps all day

>Star Citizen comes out a few years later and you can't run it maxed out at 60fps

>"QQ OMG WHY ARE GRAFIX CARDS SO BAD AT PRICE TO PERFORMANCE"

I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but a few is three.

yes. but look at his original thread. he said he remembers the days where he could buy a 300-400 gpu and be ok for 3-4 years  

wich is the few years he gives to the actual cards while bashing on them.

wich makes no sense, he's contredicting himself. wich is why I said that he doesn't make sense :)

assimilate my logic

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Well, you really only have to swap the card if you insist on maxing the games out, i wont swap out my GTX 970 untill it cant run games on high (not ultra) and maintain a stable 30FPS.

Well once nvidia realized gamers aler willing to spend 1000$ on a (non-dual-GPU) geaphics card, they where like: "Hey we can charge them much more!"

Also the monitors made some big improvements and the higher resolutions requires a lot of GPU power.

And games are less oprimized or they just added a lot of features to make the game looks better to compensate for the bad story / plot.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Today is Stop Complaining About Your Hardware Day.  It lasts as long as you want it to last.  If you are unhappy with your PC's performance, go upgrade.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build