Looking to get into photography.... Needs Some Advice

HaloFan9087

Hello LTT Photo/Video Community,

I'm looking into photography as a sort of hobby.... as I will be traveling alot in the next couple of years (a few months in south africa and possibly australia or japan before returning home.  Anyways... I am looking for a good camera for the trip... and for use around home.  My cousin who is upgrading told me about his current gear and that he is looking to sell it for $250.  The camera and accessories are as follows:

Pentax K200D (Google for all the specs)
Extra battery grip
Pentax DA 18-55 Kit Lens F3.5-5.6
Pentax DA 55-300 F4.5-8 Zoom Lens
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 Lens (Amazing lens @2.8 for all range of zoom)
Remote Control
Remote shutter release (for long exposure/bulb mode)
UV Filters on all lenses (cheaper to replace if you have an incident)
2 Polaroid Variable Neutral Density filters (allows low F-Stop in any bright conditions)

Thanks for input guys, just wondering if for a beginner this would be a good setup....and if the price is right.

Seems like a good setup. Watch youtubers like Froknowsphoto, and Digitalrev to get inspired

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Well, the body is quite old, but since it's DSLR it will still be decent. If you think you can use that many lenses it's definitely a deal.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hello LTT Photo/Video Community,

I'm looking into photography as a sort of hobby.... as I will be traveling alot in the next couple of years (a few months in south africa and possibly australia or japan before returning home.  Anyways... I am looking for a good camera for the trip... and for use around home.  My cousin who is upgrading told me about his current gear and that he is looking to sell it for $250.  The camera and accessories are as follows:

Pentax K200D (Google for all the specs)

Extra battery grip

Pentax DA 18-55 Kit Lens F3.5-5.6

Pentax DA 55-300 F4.5-8 Zoom Lens

Tamron 17-50 F2.8 Lens (Amazing lens @2.8 for all range of zoom)

Remote Control

Remote shutter release (for long exposure/bulb mode)

UV Filters on all lenses (cheaper to replace if you have an incident)

2 Polaroid Variable Neutral Density filters (allows low F-Stop in any bright conditions)

Thanks for input guys, just wondering if for a beginner this would be a good setup....and if the price is right.

YES, go ahead.  This will be a good starter set for a beginner and you are getting a bargain on the lenses.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I'd say that's a pretty damn good set you got yourself!

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

You can have the best camera that exists but with a DSLR it really comes down to the knowledge of how to take a great picture. I look on Flickr and view the EXIF data of my favorite photos to see their settings. I have the Nikon D3200 and only have the Kit lens but I like it alot for the price I paid when it first came out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128435984@[member=n0837]

You can have the best camera that exists but with a DSLR it really comes down to the knowledge of how to take a great picture. I look on Flickr and view the EXIF data of my favorite photos to see their settings. I have the Nikon D3200 and only have the Kit lens but I like it alot for the price I paid when it first came out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128435984@[member='n0837']

Yea... im asking a friend of mine who has taken some photography courses for some resources that will hopefully send me in the right direction... that and google... haha

Yea... im asking a friend of mine who has taken some photography courses for some resources that will hopefully send me in the right direction... that and google... haha

Most stuff are free online, so don't spend too much money on books or guides.  The most important book you need is the camera manual.

And second book, optional, is this.  You will enjoy it as you travel.

http://www.amazon.com/Within-Frame-Journey-Photographic-Vision/dp/0321605020/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440881914&sr=8-4&keywords=david+duchemin

You can also check this thread where I have compiled some reference material: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/446545-guide-filmphoto-makers-reference-work-in-progress/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It's a decent/good prie for the set, the body is a bit old, but would work fine for normal purposes.