MGUTEN

Considering buying the Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G-77FS, comes with:
16 Gb ram
1080p non touch IPS display
gtx 960m 4Gb
i7 4720HQ Quad Core 2.6GHz
1 Tb hard drive, with 256Gb SSD
Total: $1479 CAD
Should I buy it? or is there a better laptop out there/ do you hate acer?

Specs are good, the display is good, IPS matte and bright enough. I would buy Nitro, I think it's one of the better value machines out there. Of course it has some flaws like any other cheaper device.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Buy a pc if you dont have one  instead

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

snip

The Acer V Nitro is quite a nice laptop, just that I don't really like the keyboard and the touchpad.

And remember to follow your own posts.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I have one of the older Acer Aspire V3 laptops, and I mostly like it. The keyboard doesn't feel that bad to me, though I'm not a fan of the Macbook style touchpads without actual right and left buttons. It also gets quite loud when running games, but I don't know how much better the 4720HQ + 960M is over the 4702MQ + 750M, in terms of temperature. The HDD and SSD set up is similar to what I have, shouldn't have any issue there. Just make sure Windows had your documents going to the right places. 

If you plan on updating to Windows 10, since it looks like it comes with Windows 8.1, make sure that there are Windows 10 Drivers for the wireless card if Acer is still using Qualcomm Atheros cards. I just replaced mine with an Intel chip because I was unable to find new drivers from the Qualcomm chip and Windows 10 seems to have problems with really out of date drivers.

Otherwise If you choose to go with something else, Stay with a 15 inch screen, cause the 17 inch is kinda unwieldy is portability and battery life are something that you need.

I don't know how much better the 4720HQ + 960M is over the 4702MQ + 750M, in terms of temperature.

The 4720HQ would likely be far hotter. The 960M would likely be far cooler.

Considering buying the Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G-77FS, 

Want to wait for the Skylake builds to come in and see?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The 4720HQ would likely be far hotter. The 960M would likely be far cooler.

Perhaps, but looking at some tear downs of the Aspire V Nitro and the Aspire V3, It looks like they made some nice changes to the cooling system.  

Perhaps, but looking at some tear downs of the Aspire V Nitro and the Aspire V3, It looks like they made some nice changes to the cooling system.  

End of the day, it's not amazing, and it can't handle the i7-4720HQ. There are a few games heavy/hot on the CPU, and most importantly, games are "lightweight" on the CPU, and are a very poor indicator of whether or not a chassis can handle hardware. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Just something else for you to consider.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,275,0)ec

With the same specs, this is slightly cheaper. And I doubt you would need 4GB of VRAM with a 960M.

These are the specs I recommend

post-221594-0-73574800-1442287355_thumb.

post-221594-0-82185000-1442287363.png

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Thanks everyone for your insight! I'll keep reading reviews and maybe wait for skylake builds to see if anything new/better comes on the market. Lets just hope the Canadian dollar doesnt drop anymore haha