WD RE on regular desktop?

TyH

Is it ok to use WD RE for data storage on regular desktop(windows 10)?

With OS installed on SSD.

Totally. I have a RE4 as my mass storage drive.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Red FTW

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yes, though way overkill for home use. The only exception is if you have the SAS (not SATA) version of the RE drive (I don't think you do). Keep in mind they do run fairly hot, so please put a fan blowing on it.

-le snippy snip- Keep in mind they do run fairly hot, so please put a fan blowing on it.

This^ IIRC, my RE4 runs a little warmer than my Blue in my other machine. Higher heat output in this machine, but the drives are fairly isolated from the major zones..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Should I worry about TLER in non-raid setup?

Should I worry about TLER in non-raid setup?

I would say no. I run several Reds as desktop drives without any issues (Non Raid). Maybe the WD Rep can comment more on that though.

If you don't have a RE drive / don't plan on ever doing RAID, maybe consider the WD Black?

........maybe consider the WD Black?

Are black drives as reliable as REs?

Im looking for reliability>performance drive

Are black drives as reliable as REs?

Im looking for reliability>performance drive

Ah, nope. The REs are enterprise drives after all. Well, have fun with the RE drive. I have two RE SAS 4TB drives and they run fast but hot. Make sure you use WD's Lifeguard to extended test the drive at least once to make sure you don't have a DOA drive (It happens regardless of the brand).

Hey there TyH,

Enterprise drives can be used in regular desktops and shouldn't have any problems with it. It would be an overkill for regular home usage, but it should work just fine. The NAS/RAID features of the drive shouldn't be a problem (TLER and everything else). 
Enterprise drives are generally designed for more extensive and heavier usage compared to regular consumer drives. If you are looking for reliability and data safety I would recommend to consider a RAID array option with WD Red.
As @scottyseng suggested, checking the health of a drive more often could tell you when the drive is about to fail and to prepare you for the exchange. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have other questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/