Looks for a laptop need help choosing!

cooperb21

Right now im thinking the Dell XPS 13 or Macbook air but im unsure what to get. I kinda want to try an apple computer i have never owned a mac but the display in the air kinda sucks now by today's standards vs the 1920 x 1080 on the dell. 

Go with the Dell.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Apple is over priced but some people swear by NeXT Step  Mac OSX OSX.

I wouldn't bother try it, unless windows is pissing you off that bad.

I don't like dell as well, but they don't make bad computers!

If you want to spend that kind of money on a non-gaming laptop I'd go for a Latitude E5450, E7450 or a Thinkpad T450(s)/X250.

They are pretty easy to take apart for maintenance, they have higher quality input devices (well, probably not a better touchpad than a macbook but better a keyboard) and way more robust cases. Also you can easily get replacement parts for those models.

Consumer notebooks are not built to last, i still have nightmares from the time i fixed notebooks as a job.

If you want to spend that kind of money on a non-gaming laptop I'd go for a Latitude E5450, E7450 or a Thinkpad T450(s)/X250.

They are pretty easy to take apart for maintenance, they have higher quality input devices (well, probably not a better touchpad than a macbook but better a keyboard) and way more robust cases. Also you can easily get replacement parts for those models.

Consumer notebooks are not built to last, i still have nightmares from the time i fixed notebooks as a job.

I have nightmares of what the "Repairers" are doing to my laptop.

Today marks 3 months without it.

They sent it back broken 2 times!!! 

From my personal experience, Dell Laptops are well priced and have pretty good specs, I currently have a dell insprion and it is a great machine for the price. I've also had a macbook (the original silver one from 2008), and though it was a nice machine, there was a lack of games, and some of the software I relayed on. The screen was nice tho  ;) . If dell ain't what your after and you don't mind a "gamer" laptop, look at this

,http://www.amazon.com/GL551JW-DS74-Laptop-GeForce-Discrete-Graphics/dp/B00T7XRGGC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441883132&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+rog

Tell Us what you end up settling on

Core i7 2600, Gigabyte GTX 570, Asus P8Z68-V LX, 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston ValueRam, CoolerMaster 600Watt PSU

you did just recommend much more bulky laptops from the looks of it.

Right now im thinking the Dell XPS 13 or Macbook air but im unsure what to get. I kinda want to try an apple computer i have never owned a mac but the display in the air kinda sucks now by today's standards vs the 1920 x 1080 on the dell. 

I would actually recommend the Fujitsu A544. For the price I think they're good. We use them at work and not problems yet.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I have nightmares of what the "Repairers" are doing to my laptop.

Today marks 3 months without it.

They sent it back broken 2 times!!! 

Asus? Their laptop support has a reputation for doing stuff like that, at least in germany.

I worked for an independent shop.

All I can say is that 95%+ of the consumer stuff like Clevo barebones, MSI/Asus/Alienware gamer notebooks and esp. the low end Asus, Acer, HP etc. are trash.

Horrible input devices, the hinges are worn out after a couple of weeks, the cases snap like matches on critical spots and fun stuff like that.

If you want something thats truly robust there is no way around ProBook/Elitebook/Latitude/Thinkpad stuff, maybe a Macbook if you dont mind scratches and dents

@manikyath

Those are all 14" (and one 12,5") Ultrabooks, not exactly what i would call bulky. Sure, they are a bit thicker and heavier than your average Zenbook/XPS stuff but they can take a good beating without problems, a 'feature' that is often underrated if you carry your laptop around a lot.

Asus? Their laptop support has a reputation for doing stuff like that, at least in germany.

I worked for an independent shop.

All I can say is that 95%+ of the consumer stuff like Clevo barebones, MSI/Asus/Alienware gamer notebooks and esp. the low end Asus, Acer, HP etc. are trash.

Horrible input devices, the hinges are worn out after a couple of weeks, the cases snap like matches on critical spots and fun stuff like that.

If you want something thats truly robust there is no way around ProBook/Elitebook/Latitude/Thinkpad stuff, maybe a Macbook if you dont mind scratches and dents

It is repaired by a company called Product Care.

They sell "Extended Warranty"

It is a $1,400AUD Laptop (~885), so it wasn't cheap but wasn't A++ Quality

It wasn't that badly build, it was the repairers. The job they had was to replace a battery and then, they send it back with NO SCREWS and a broken touchpad (Twice)

It is repaired by a company called Product Care.

They sell "Extended Warranty"

It is a $1,400AUD Laptop (~885), so it wasn't cheap but wasn't A++ Quality

It wasn't that badly build, it was the repairers. The job they had was to replace a battery and then, they send it back with NO SCREWS and a broken touchpad (Twice)

just want to mention shit like this happens on all levels, i had a HP buisiness laptop, sent it in to get the fan replaced.... and they forgot to screw the new fan in...

I'd get the xps 13 My friend has one and it is really nice

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Apple is over priced but some people swear by NeXT Step Mac OSX OSX.

I wouldn't bother try it, unless windows is pissing you off that bad.

I don't like dell as well, but they don't make bad computers!

I want the laptop just for browsing and watching movies and tv. Right now i have a gaming pc but i plan on getting rid of it i only game on console now.

The only downside to windows is i had an iphone and own alot of apple stuff.