Started college in a c++ class need help

johnadams123412

So basically I wanted to get into computer programming, but there was no space for basic programming, so I was put in c++ class, anyone that knows c++ that can help this teacher literally sits on his ass all day and barely does anything. I can barely understand any tutorials they expect you to know coding prior. Any help is appreciated

WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A CLASS WITHOUT KNOWING THE BASICS....

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I can try to help, I'm a junior in CS, although I'm not nearly as good as I really should be... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A CLASS WITHOUT KNOWING THE BASICS....

READ THE DESCRIPTION FAM, I WAS PUT IN BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SPACE

I can try to help, I'm a junior in CS, although I'm not nearly as good as I really should be... 

You got skype?

I highly doubt youd just be shoved into an advanced class because there was no room in the basic class, they would have simply not let you in.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You're probably going to want to do extra work on your own time to learn C++. Read this, it'll give you advice and a place to start. Here are some more resources. We'll be here to answer any questions you have as well.

These tutorials are as good as it gets: http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/topic/c-plus-plus

There's also a bunch lynda.com which are pretty good , you can get a free 10-day trial here: http://lynda.com/wanshow. I'd recommend starting with those.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I highly doubt youd just be shoved into an advanced class because there was no room in the basic class, they would have simply not let you in.

I wanted a computer class, this was the only one, so I was put in, theres no pre requisite class regardless. 

I can help out too. I'm semi-fluent in the language. 

You got skype?

You got skype?

Alas I do not. I'm afraid I'd be stuck with text-based help. 

You can add me on steam for times when someone with skype isn't available or you're not in the mood to talk/whatever: https://steamcommunity.com/id/AwesomeMcCoolName_MCT

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You're probably going to want to do extra work on your own time to learn C++. Read this, it'll give you advice and a place to start. Here are some more resources. We'll be here to answer any questions you have as well.

will do thanks brah

These tutorials are as good as it gets: http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/topic/c-plus-plus

There's also a bunch lynda.com which are pretty good , you can get a free 10-day trial here: http://lynda.com/wanshow. I'd recommend starting with those.

will check it out after a few more responses thanks 

Hopefully they will go somewhat from the beginning. Its not to bad to work with.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

If you have any questions you can ask me.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I would recommend you get some online tutorials and work through them, then start doing you're own smaller projects and work up, but also you could read a C++ book and work through tutorials in them as well, but you shouldnt of been put in that class without knowing the basics but if you need help message me, as I can help :) 

C++ is a really difficult language to start on, I know, because it's the one I first learned. There are so few good C++ books at anything below an advanced level, the only lower level C++ book I ever liked was C++ Primer.

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0321714113

That was one of the side references for my courses. The required book by Deitel for my class was the single worst college textbook I have ever seen.

C++ is a really difficult language to start on, I know, because it's the one I first learned. There are so few good C++ books at anything below an advanced level, the only lower level C++ book I ever liked was C++ Primer.

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0321714113

That was one of the side references for my courses. The required book by Deitel for my class was the single worst college textbook I have ever seen.

I miss Java :(

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0321714113.

I disagree it can be one of the very best languages to start with. That said, I do agree that the primer is probably the best beginner level book out there right now. Just make sure that if you do go for it that it is the updated edition with C++ 11.

Feel free to ask me anything any time, I'm usually quite busy but I should always get around to putting together an answer for you.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I don't think C++ is a good language to start with programming either.

Its incredibly 'bloated' which makes it hard to learn the syntax if you don't already know a similar language. Also, I divide people learning to code in 2 groups: people who just want to learn how to code and/or want to grasp the logic and workflow behind it and people who want to understand how software works.

C++ imo fits neither of those.

I disagree it can be one of the very best languages to start with. That said, I do agree that the primer is probably the best beginner level book out there right now. Just make sure that if you do go for it that it is the updated edition with C++ 11.

Feel free to ask me anything any time, I'm usually quite busy but I should always get around to putting together an answer for you.

I think it would be much better to start with functional programming myself. Mutation is so confusing when you're first learning to program. Since functional programming is time independent, like mathematical statements, I think it's the best way to get people to focus on breaking problems into smaller subproblems and then combining them back into solutions. Debugging C++ is such a nightmare when you're just getting your feet wet with programming. And references vs pointers vs pass by value is a really ugly thing to teach to someone who doesn't have much experience programming. I like C++ or Java for a second course because OOP is so powerful, I think that's the time when it makes sense to jumping to considering state.

I think it would be much better to start with functional programming myself. Mutation is so confusing when you're first learning to program. Since functional programming is time independent, like mathematical statements, I think it's the best way to get people to focus on breaking problems into smaller subproblems and then combining them back into solutions. Debugging C++ is such a nightmare when you're just getting your feet wet with programming. And references vs pointers vs pass by value is a really ugly thing to teach to someone who doesn't have much experience programming. I like C++ or Java for a second course because OOP is so powerful, I think that's the time when it makes sense to jumping to considering state.

I took Java as my first language, and it wasn't too bad.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's a valid opinion, each individual will inevitably find that method that best suites themselves in the end.

I do strongly agree though, I think that there needs to be more exposure offered to all of the different paradigms at or near to the beginning and not just OO.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

C++ is a really difficult language to start on, I know, because it's the one I first learned.

I disagree it can be one of the very best languages to start with.

I don't think C++ is a good language to start with programming either.

C++ certainly isn't the easiest language to start with but a classroom setting is usually a great way to dive into such a language because of the extra help that's available. There's the teacher, other students, and sometimes additional school options (help centers, extra tutorials, etc).

I don't think I'd consider C/C++ for high school students but in terms of college/university I can see the appeal of starting people off with C or C++. They are there to learn at a higher level already and pushing them through C or C++ gives them some extra knowledge that a language like Python wouldn't.

I've never been taught a functional language and only just recently started to look into them on my own time so it's hard to know how I would have reacted to being taught a functional language before anything else. What functional language would you pick to teach as a first language?

I took Java as my first language, and it wasn't too bad.

I also took Java as my first language as well. I don't remember having a hard time with it though I know some people in the class did. I think a big part of the difficulty is how easy/hard it is for you to grasp the basics of OOP. Some people pick it up quick while others don't.

I've never been taught a functional language and only just recently started to look into them on my own time so it's hard to know how I would have reacted to being taught a functional language before anything else. What functional language would you pick to teach as a first language?

I'd pick Scheme, but mostly because the best intro CS book I have ever seen uses it: The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. C++ and every other language made so much more sense to me after reading this book. 

However, I like ucbscheme much better than MIT-Scheme for doing the exercises in the book, especially the exercises where you write a library for doing MC Escher Square Limit style art.

MC Escher work this set of problems in Chapter 2 are based on:

square-limit.jpg

An example of using this library you write in Chapter 2:

ch2-Z-G-25.gif

Here is a lecture by one of the authors:

There is actually a complete video course taught by the authors, I think it was given to HP employees in 1986.

I'd pick Scheme, but mostly because the best intro CS book I have ever seen uses it: The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. C++ and every other language made so much more sense to me after reading this book.     ...

I've seen that book recommended a bunch of times but haven't gotten around to taking a look at it. I'll have to make some time to read it.