G5 Powermac CaseMod Build Log

Vanquisher

Hey guys,

First post here and just want to say hello and I'm planning on keeping this up to date as much as possible.

The project started off with a G5 that I got from a co-worker that was just going to toss it to the curb. Said i'd give it a home and I got it for free. Win. icon_mrgreen.gif

Specs for the build:

Basically day 1 followed some tutorials here and on the net and disassembled most of it and took all the motherboard standoffs out. Taking the damn thing apart was probably one of the hardest parts. They really didn't design it for anyone to be tinkering lol.

16799078769_6346b87e2c_b.jpg

I opted for the mountain mods tray it seemed like a nice kit and a good starting point so I ordered that up and went from there. Few pics I mocked up the rear panel on the back and started taking measurements. I honestly didn't care for the latch since the side panel pretty much locks into place without it. So I decided not to cut the mountain mods tray to accommodate.

16983847182_5cb99ece2c_b.jpg

16797746880_ffd1bd6ce0_b.jpg

Now to get the mountain mods tray in and test fit the mobo. Once I had the mobo in I used JB Kwik Weld on the two motherboard standoffs I reused from the g5 case. Two on the top and bottom of the left side of the mountain mods tray (Black screws on the pic below). 

Also at the same time thanks to an awesome article on the G5 front panel pinout for the connector I rounded up some old wires and cut and soldered the connections together and then shrink wrapped them all. Turned out well and everything but Firewire on the front panel works. headbang.gif. I covered the FW port with an Intel sticker lol.

16797476288_8015f09ec6_b.jpg

Once the JB Weld was cured about 4hrs per the instructions I assembled the rest of it. I attached the h110i GT with a laserhive custom cut bracket.

29439261554_4a38dc7bbe_z.jpg

29442680893_91fa289dca_z.jpg

29984223611_b7d84b0565_z.jpg

SNIP

PLEASE do something with those fan cables. Other than that good build

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Looks nice! 

I'm wondering though, I see a lot of people doing this mod and leaving it in the standard config with the mobo upside down, etc. Is there any way to flip it upside down so it's in a standard orientation? 

PLEASE do something with those fan cables. Other than that good build

I know I'm trying to sort that. Tough to really manage cables in the thing.

Looks nice!

I'm wondering though, I see a lot of people doing this mod and leaving it in the standard config with the mobo upside down, etc. Is there any way to flip it upside down so it's in a standard orientation?

Maybe. I think it would depend on the kit you get to add in the motherboard tray. Lots of different ways to go about it, if I were to do it again I'd probably have done it a bit different myself.

Looks like any PowerMac G5 and the Non Rubbish-bin Mac Pro.

That's the point lol. I like the case just not macs.

• 1 year later...

Recently did some upgrades. Been slow on this thread as not much going on just been enjoying it. Upgraded my board to a ASUS Z97-AR. Benefits of Z97 I was able to snag a sweet deal as they were on clearance. Also wasn't getting enough umph @ 3440x1440 at max settings in a few games so I upgraded my graphics cards to Dual GTX 1080 ROG STRIXs. So far its awesome and probably will upgrade the board/processor again when Kaby Lake drops.

Still working on getting some cables better managed but its a WIP.

29439261554_4a38dc7bbe_z.jpg

29442680893_91fa289dca_z.jpg

29984223611_b7d84b0565_z.jpg

ahhh one day... i have a case sitting in the garage

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

2 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

ahhh one day... i have a case sitting in the garage

Its a cool project just takes patience and planning. I would check out the laserhive they have a lot of pre-cut parts and motherboard trays which are nice. 

13 hours ago, Vanquisher said:

Its a cool project just takes patience and planning. I would check out the laserhive they have a lot of pre-cut parts and motherboard trays which are nice. 

absolutely, unfortunately I'm moving, and this is going to my parents garage for the time being. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

• 6 months later...

Just installed these today. Time for some benchmarking. Also got some custom length PSU cables coming hoping to get this cleaned up.

33577826970_7a775552f9_b.jpg

33149632943_d405beeb47_b.jpg

I wonder if the XP drivers means drivers on lower tier Pascal cards as well

Resist!

14 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

I wonder if the XP drivers means drivers on lower tier Pascal cards as well

I think so from what I read anyway. Pretty nice much easier to hackintosh.