Dan Castellaneta's GPU guide?

PlayStation 2

Use @Prysin's R9 295X2 unless he sold it for a Fury X2 soon or something.

295X2 is a great card but comes with heat and crossfire issues....

*chops firewood* - I wouldn't need to do that if I had a 295X2 :P A free Furnace along with it ^_^

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

He has a 4790K......

Athlon II X2 + R9 280 masterrace :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

oh

ripe

thought there was a forumer here who had an apu and a 295x2 which is a setup i'd legitimately do

I have my main system in my signature. Which holds the R9 295x2

My LAN rig, is a A10 7870k OCd to 4.6GHz that i coupled with one of my TWO Sapphire Dual-X HD 7950 boost cards... upon which i OCd this card to around 1150 core and 1300ish memory, dun remember exactly. My LAN rig is parked at a friends house for whenever i come over :P

My R9 295x2 is currently overclocked to 1084MHz core and 1325MHz memory. At max draw (valley/ingame) it alone sucks around 600-630w according to my PSUs software suite....

As for crossfire issues, stuttering isnt really happening often enough for me to "write home about it". Yes i do stutter with the OC in some programs, almost all of them are benchmark software and not games, with the exception of Farcry 4, which REALLY didnt like my OC (originally i had my 295x2 OCd to 1105 core and 1400 memory)

As for heat, YES, it spits out A LOT of heat, which is why i have moved my PC a bit further from the wall, as the heat output blasting the wall during folding or gaming was starting to dry out and crack the paint on the wall....

During 100% load, the radiator is hot, but not so hot you cannot hold it (thus it does NOT exceed the european safety limit of 60c surface temps at max, which is what normal radiator heaters on your wall is limited to by law)

As for crossfire issues themselves.

I had more issues running 2x 7950s in CF (more stutters, worse scaling etc.) then i have with my R9 295x2. Whatever improvements AMD did for hawaii, bonaire, tonga and fiji in terms of "bridgeless CF" has massively improved stuttering and scaling issues.

The main grief with CF atm is whether you HAVE or do NOT HAVE a CF profile.... that is litterally THE most prominent issue by far. Power draw is well, obviously a thing, but if you think adding a second GPU into your system wont change anything, then you need to see a doctor.

I have my main system in my signature. Which holds the R9 295x2

My LAN rig, is a A10 7870k OCd to 4.6GHz that i coupled with one of my TWO Sapphire Dual-X HD 7950 boost cards... upon which i OCd this card to around 1150 core and 1300ish memory, dun remember exactly. My LAN rig is parked at a friends house for whenever i come over :P

My R9 295x2 is currently overclocked to 1084MHz core and 1325MHz memory. At max draw (valley/ingame) it alone sucks around 600-630w according to my PSUs software suite....

As for crossfire issues, stuttering isnt really happening often enough for me to "write home about it". Yes i do stutter with the OC in some programs, almost all of them are benchmark software and not games, with the exception of Farcry 4, which REALLY didnt like my OC (originally i had my 295x2 OCd to 1105 core and 1400 memory)

As for heat, YES, it spits out A LOT of heat, which is why i have moved my PC a bit further from the wall, as the heat output blasting the wall during folding or gaming was starting to dry out and crack the paint on the wall....

During 100% load, the radiator is hot, but not so hot you cannot hold it (thus it does NOT exceed the european safety limit of 60c surface temps at max, which is what normal radiator heaters on your wall is limited to by law)

As for crossfire issues themselves.

I had more issues running 2x 7950s in CF (more stutters, worse scaling etc.) then i have with my R9 295x2. Whatever improvements AMD did for hawaii, bonaire, tonga and fiji in terms of "bridgeless CF" has massively improved stuttering and scaling issues.

The main grief with CF atm is whether you HAVE or do NOT HAVE a CF profile.... that is litterally THE most prominent issue by far. Power draw is well, obviously a thing, but if you think adding a second GPU into your system wont change anything, then you need to see a doctor.

damn that lan rig must be some serious heater

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

not really. The APU is actually quite cool. 7950 isnt that hot either

7950 is cool ;)

noice

Asus 280 - fans spin at 37% max - never hear them over games :P

the 7950 is hitting mid 70's.... but here's the thing... my LAN rig, is a mITX system (corsair 380T)... And while the Corsair 380T has amazing airflow potential, it is hard to realize it without causing lots of turbulence inside the case

the 7950 is hitting mid 70's.... but here's the thing... my LAN rig, is a mITX system (corsair 380T)... And while the Corsair 380T has amazing airflow potential, it is hard to realize it without causing lots of turbulence inside the case

70*C max in a 20*C room B)

More or less, yes.

Ah, OK. When I was doing my research on GPUs I found some pretty big differences between the same model of GPU based on who sold it. This guide makes sense if in reference to reference.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Ah, OK. When I was doing my research on GPUs I found some pretty big differences between the same model of GPU based on who sold it. This guide makes sense if in reference to reference.

yeah

no point in comparing an oc'd card vs reference

yeah

no point in comparing an oc'd card vs reference

Completely agree. Your guide is so good in fact I am compelled to ask for advice. Wife is going to be building a PC for photoshop and some medium graphic design work. She has no interest in gaming so I have no idea how to advise her xD. She'll have around 200usd to spend on the GPU, she's getting a 4th gen i7.

Completely agree. Your guide is so good in fact I am compelled to ask for advice. Wife is going to be building a PC for photoshop and some medium graphic design work. She has no interest in gaming so I have no idea how to advise her xD. She'll have around 200usd to spend on the GPU, she's getting a 4th gen i7.

If you're willing to deal with Adobe's OpenCL rendering (if it's available for Photoshop), R9 285.

If you're gonna go with the tried-and-true way of Photoshop's CUDA rendering, a GTX 960 (2gb or 4gb doesn't really matter)

If you're willing to deal with Adobe's OpenCL rendering (if it's available for Photoshop), R9 285.

If you're gonna go with the tried-and-true way of Photoshop's CUDA rendering, a GTX 960 (2gb or 4gb doesn't really matter)

you're awesome, I know CUDA is important to her, though I have no idea what that is LOL. I will pass on the information, thank you o7

Cuda is the technology that nVidia GPUs use, for example, in reviews etc you see "The GTX 780 has 2304 cuda cores" which means it has 2304 SPUs and nVidia calls them Cuda Cores, and many devs optimized games for cuda cores.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Cuda is the technology that nVidia GPUs use, for example, in reviews etc you see "The GTX 780 has 2304 cuda cores" which means it has 2304 SPUs and nVidia calls them Cuda Cores, and many devs optimized games for cuda cores.

Thanks!

Games don't really use CUDA - they don't differentiate between CUDA cores or Stream Processors.

Thanks!

For gaming it doesn't really matter a lot - it's mainly in software made around CUDA that it matters. Typically in games both brands will perform well. Depending on the model and price point - one is usually better.

For gaming it doesn't really matter a lot - it's mainly in software made around CUDA that it matters. Typically in games both brands will perform well. Depending on the model and price point - one is usually better.

Yeah, I probably watched over a hundred hours of benchmarks when picking my GPU, not even exaggerating LOL. I watched benchmarks in Russian, and I don't speak Russian xD. Never knew what CUDA cores were though.

Yeah, I probably watched over a hundred hours of benchmarks when picking my GPU, not even exaggerating LOL. I watched benchmarks in Russian, and I don't speak Russian xD. Never knew what CUDA cores were though.

Не ти трябва Руски за да разбереш числата :)

But yeah - CUDA means nothing for games - it matters in a handful of CAD and other work-related apps. For work, though. A Quadro is what you want, not a GTX card

OpenCL in PS works. Been using it for years with my AMD cards. From CS3 extended to the more recent Creative Cloud version....