I sold my PC and got a mac mini

H4X3R

I decided to sell my PC because i was playing too much and i am currently in my last school year (before uni). I have tried many alternatives such as using linux, install os x on my pc, try to use programs that limit my computer usage, however those never worked. Thus i decided to make my jump to the only alternative on which i could not upgrade the GPU but would still have a snappy and responsive computer; a mac mini. 

Here were the specs of my previous pc:

X99 UD5 Wifi 

Scythe Mugen Max 

Crucial 16GB DDR4 (4x4GB)

GTX 970 Windforce

Enthoo Pro 

EVGA 750W G2

3 x BeQuiet Silent Wings fans 

Crucial MX100 512GB SSD

I managed to sell it within a week of listing it in austria's craiglist equivalent willhaben, for a decent sum of 1200 euros (it was the best pc for under 1500 euros on willhaben). If someone were to buy the parts at a retail price, it would cost them ~ 1800 euros (excluding windows 7 (now 10)).

I am also selling my XL2411Z monitor to a friend for 200 euros (new = ~300+).

Over the course of this week, i bought the mac mini (also off willhaben), and it was quite the bargain in my opinion.

Here are the specs (Mid-2011 Server Model):

i7 2635M (quad core, 8 threads)

250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD

16GB RAM

This mac mini cost me just 700 euros, which is a bargain (in austria). But that's not all i got for the 700 euros. He threw in a WD Duo 6TB Thunderbolt External Drive enclosure (2x3TB RAID 0) along with a thunderbolt cable.

The only down-side is that i do not have usb 3.0, which i have yet to find useful.

With the money from the XL2411Z and 100 from the PC, i picked up a Dell U2515H. This is the first panel in our household with a resolution above 1080p (excluding tablets and smartphones). I love this panel although the text and most apps do not scale well.

And the best part of this all is that my mum paid for the mac mini due to the positive affected it will (most likely) have on my grades.

I thought i'd just share that because i cannot game anymore and thus am quite bored.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

inb4 all the hate...

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I'd consider this a Sin

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

inb4 all the hate...

This is like selling a Corvette for a ?Honda Civic.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

well all i have to say is. your dumb for doing that

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Yay :) I like Mac Mini ^_^

My grandma actually has one, neat little machine :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

K lol don't let the other guys bother. I dont agree with your decision but well ....

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

This is like selling a Corvette for a ?Honda Civic.

Not really, it is more of a tool to make me a more productive person whilst cars are more linear in their purpose. An example with using cars would be selling a ferrari for an SUV because you would like to stop your addiction to street racing or whatever you do in fast cars that you shouldn't be.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Hallo

Warum tust du das ?

Wie die anderen schon sagten das ist ein sehr sehr schlechter Tausch.

-------------------------------

Hallo

Why will you do that ?

Like the others already said thats a bad Trade.

Done.

Did you save any money or get some?

And btw, for school work its really great as well, OSX is a smooth experience for things like schoolwork (coming from someone who uses their MacBook in school for most classes)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Good idea... tbh I could imagine myself doing something like this to limit my use when in really important years of school. Ignore the haters ;)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Not really, it is more of a tool to make me a more productive person.

Be A Strong Person and stop yourself > Waste a ton of money.

Should of went and joined a gym. While at the gym, while you are sleeping, in class, studying, going OUTSIDE you could of did some folding@home instead. Atleast folding@home is helping other people and not using a overkill PC for yourself.

Did you save any money or get some?

Well i am getting 800 euros of the 1200. 100 is being deducted for the dell monitor and 300 is what i still owe my mum for my previous PC. The money will not go into my bank account because i do tend to waste that money and will instead go into a passbook.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Well i am getting 800 euros of the 1200. 100 is being deducted for the dell monitor and 300 is what i still owe my mum for my previous PC. The money will not go into my bank account because i do tend to waste that money and will instead go into a passbook.

Sounds good. If I were you id save up some money for a pc that can play light games and just use the one monitor for the mac mini and pc and just switch if you ever wanna play a game instead of work

Be A Strong Person and stop yourself > Waste a ton of money.

Should of went and joined a gym. While at the gym, while you are sleeping, in class, studying, going OUTSIDE you could of did some folding@home instead. Atleast folding@home is helping other people and not using a overkill PC for yourself.

Perhaps that would be possible for you, however getting over an addiction that was as strong as mine is very difficult. I was heavily invested in TF2, over 5.3K hrs and was playing in etf2l high so i do not think i could restrain myself other than not giving myself the option to play.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Good choice. School always comes first!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Perhaps that would be possible for you, however getting over an addiction that was as strong as mine is very difficult. I was heavily invested in TF2, over 5.3K hrs and was playing in etf2l high so i do not think i could restrain myself other than not giving myself the option to play.

o-0

If it helps thats good but you can probably still play cs on that lol

I tried it, the fps is decent (~60) but os x has a terrible issue with mouse acceleration (i disabled it within the os and cs but there is still too much for me to be crap.

Sounds good. If I were you id save up some money for a pc that can play light games and just use the one monitor for the mac mini and pc and just switch if you ever wanna play a game instead of work

I think i may take building a PC too far. I will however probably build one after my exams (although transporting a PC to another country is much more difficult than a mac mini).

Oh and i forgot to mention the CPU on the mac mini runs DAMN hot, at 70*C idle and 85*C under load, and that is with the ambient temp being ~24*C AND i have a 17mm fan blowing at it (not into it) as well as a cooler master laptop cooling pad with a fan under the macbook. I may eventually try to swap the thermal paste but i don't want to ruin anything and i will only do so if it gets way too hot.

My old late-2011 macbook pro also overheats quite often, especially when i use windows on it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I tried it, the fps is decent (~60) but os x has a terrible issue with mouse acceleration (i disabled it within the os and cs but there is still too much for me to be crap.

I think i may take building a PC too far. I will however probably build one after my exams (although transporting a PC to another country is much more difficult than a mac mini).

Oh and i forgot to mention the CPU on the mac mini runs DAMN hot, at 70*C idle and 85*C under load, and that is with the ambient temp being ~24*C AND i have a 17mm fan blowing at it (not into it) as well as a cooler master laptop cooling pad with a fan under the macbook.

Good luck anyway 

should have just taken the GPU out and put some 50$ shit one in instead. But glad you aren't regretting your decision and are satisfied.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit