Replacing my CPU and Motherboard. What should I do after a successful boot?

ApolloEleven
Go to solution Solved by CaptainPebbleDash,

Both are the proper way to be honest mate, I never personally did that as I wanted to ensure it was all clear before I installed as my old windows was bricked to hell.

I cant see it not working and worst comes to shove you may just need to reformat from window's if it doesn't work. Always worth the try man

Hello.

I am replacing my FX-8350 and its motherboard with a i7 6700K and ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming and DDR4. So I will have to reinstall Windows 8 (and upgrade to 10)

I have a SSD as my boot drive and I want to clean, remove everything inside the SSD so I get a fresh computer essentially. And I mistakenly have my SSD in IDE mode instead of ACHI so its a good opportunity to set it correctly. (I already have the backup files I want in a seperate HDD)

So here are my questions:

Does reinstalling Windows 8 gives me an option to clean whatever is inside my SSD? Do I need to do anything before I reinstall Windows? (I am happy with removing whatever is left in my SSD)

Do I need to install Intel drivers or will it be automatically installed?

Do I need to create a partition on my SSD?

Thanks!

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Does reinstalling Windows 8 gives me an option to clean whatever is inside my SSD? Do I need to do anything before I reinstall Windows? (I am happy with removing whatever is left in my SSD)

You must clean everything on the SSD to reinstall windows. Back up anything you do want before reinstalling.

Everything you need will be on motherboard disc drivers.

No, but you can.

You must clean everything on the SSD to reinstall windows. Back up anything you do want before reinstalling.

Everything you need will be on motherboard disc drivers.

No, but you can.

I searched around and apparently Windows 7 or 8 will actually ask you if want it to format the drive (SSD or HDD) for you prior to installation.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Hello.

I am replacing my FX-8350 and its motherboard with a i7 6700K and ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming and DDR4. So I will have to reinstall Windows 8 (and upgrade to 10)

I have a SSD as my boot drive and I want to clean, remove everything inside the SSD so I get a fresh computer essentially. And I mistakenly have my SSD in IDE mode instead of ACHI so its a good opportunity to set it correctly. (I already have the backup files I want in a seperate HDD)

So here are my questions:

Thanks!

No you do not need to create a partition on your SSD. If you do a clean install of Windows 8, it should clear everything on your SSD but you have to format your SSD which means clearing everything on it. I believe you do need to install graphics drivers but I am not sure about Intel drivers. Check their website.

I searched around and apparently Windows 7 or 8 will actually ask you if want it to format the drive (SSD or HDD) for you prior to installation.

If it does then you should do that.

It asks you, you're right. But that's more of a warning. It won't let you continue with installing windows if you don't say you want to reformat.

It asks you, you're right. But that's more of a warning. It won't let you continue with installing windows if you don't say you want to reformat.

If it does then you should do that.

Oh ok Windows 7 or 8 only does a "quick format". Is this sufficient enough? Most people say its fine and you can install Windows.

Oh ok Windows 7 or 8 only does a "quick format". Is this sufficient enough? Most people say its fine and you can install Windows.

It should be fine then if people say it is perfect. 

You want to do a quick format on SSD's anyway. No need to do a full format, when I built my computer earlier I just wiped my SSD prior to installing windows and then just ensure to set your boot priority and your good to go

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

You want to do a quick format on SSD's anyway. No need to do a full format, when I built my computer earlier I just wiped my SSD prior to installing windows and then just ensure to set your boot priority and your good to go

Yes, but should I let Windows quick format the SSD for me from the Windows Installation menu or quick format from a currently working Windows? (i.e right now)

Here is a quote from Microsoft's FAQ:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/installing-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Do I need to format my hard disk before installing Windows 7?

No. The option to format your hard disk is available during a custom installation if you start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or a USB flash drive, but formatting isn't required. For more information about formatting your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

It mentioned Windows 7 but I saw this option in WIndows 8 installation screen too.

I am fine with formating my SSD but I prefer doing it with the method above. I just want you people's opinion if I should do that way or the "proper way".

Both are the proper way to be honest mate, I never personally did that as I wanted to ensure it was all clear before I installed as my old windows was bricked to hell.

I cant see it not working and worst comes to shove you may just need to reformat from window's if it doesn't work. Always worth the try man

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT