Return newly purchased laptop and wait for Skylake?

I just purchased an HP OMEN a few days ago from Best Buy. I just got the news that Skylake mobile GPUs are coming out and that MSI plans to release their laptops like the GS series at the end of September. I have until the 14th to return the laptop due to Best Buy's shitty return policy. I wanted to get MSI GS-Series laptop because it is thin, light, great keyboard, stays cool, and has a GTX 965m (or a GTX 970 on sale) for the same price as the OMEN, but the battery was a deal breaker for me that could only handle about 3 hours of light usage. Now maybe the new processors will give laptops the 4 hours+ battery life that I need but they have not announced battery life, I am just speculating. I am going to college on September 20th and have a MacBook Pro that will allow me to type my papers for my GE classes. This quarter I am taking only GE classes but next quarter (January) I will be starting engineering classes that use AutoCAD and Solidworks (which this Macbook Pro can not do). Now, should I return the laptop go 2-3 weeks without a good laptop and hope that the new MSI laptops have better battery life or just keep the OMEN? I will do some light-medium gaming along with work. I plan to keep this laptop for 2 years or more.

TL;DR Just bought HP OMEN, new mobile processors came out (Skylake), questioning to return the OMEN and wait for MSI GS laptop refresh with better battery life.

no

skylake is like %5 better. not worth it over haswell IMHO

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

not really worth a few percent increase in performance

might get a bit better battery life though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

hell fucking no unless it's for the gpu more than the cpu

I would do it just for the GPU but the battery life is just plain crap as of right now.

not really worth a few percent increase in performance

might get a bit better battery life though

How much would a bit be? 10%?

One more question. Would DDR4 improve the performance of AutoCAD or Solidworks?

How much would a bit be? 10%?

less than that probably

no way to know without tests though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

less than that probably

And that is my problem with MSI. They did not (yet) announce any battery life improvements of their refreshed  laptops...

i would purely for better battery life 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I think the laptop you bought is probably good enough for what you want to do. The big ? is the battery life, but honestly how often are you going to be without your charger/cord while in class? It's been many years since I've been in a college class, so I'm not sure what kind of access you'll have to an outlet. 

All that being said I would probably return it and go with the updated platform. That's just me though. YMMV. 

no

skylake is like %5 better. not worth it over haswell IMHO

You might be refering to the desktop version, the person is asking about the laptop versions where:

1. the improvement is more than 5% compared to laptop Haswell.

2. Power consumption is an important issue, Skylake has about 30%-50% improved battery life compared to Haswell.

3. Heat dissipation is an important issue, and Skylake laptops run cooler and quieter than Haswell.

less than that probably

Way more than 10%, in some cases up to 50%.

If you have a discrete GPU then probably something like 25%-30%

Just return it and wait. If you don't, you will most likely regret it later.

I agree, silly time to buy Haswell based laptops.

If it's a luxury buy rather than immediate need, return it and sit on your hands until January 2016,

Skylake prices will go down and you will be able to buy a laptop that will last you 5-6 years easily.

Skylake is the next blockbuster from intel, just like Sandy bridge CPUs were at the time (my Sandy bridge Core i7 Dell bought 2011 still keeps up nicely).

And if you are really smart and patient (or have no problem buying a new laptop every year), you will wait to 2016 and buy Skylake-based laptop with Pascal based GPU, and double your battery life.

If maintained correctly such a system will last way past 2020, and after that your next CPU will probably no longer be silicone based.

One more question. Would DDR4 improve the performance of AutoCAD or Solidworks?

If it does, you'll not noticel the difference.

Cheers.

Way more than 10%, in some cases up to 50%.

If you have a discrete GPU then probably something like 25%-30%

sorry but if you think skylake is a 50% improvement over haswell CPUs you are very wrong

look at your benchmarks again because you have no idea what you're talking about

skylake is AT MOST 30% better in iGPU tests, and less than 10% for the CPU

please don't spread misinformation, idk who told you it was 30% for the CPU, but whoever did is definitely not very smart

Spoiler

sorry but if you think skylake is a 50% improvement over haswell CPUs you are very wrong

look at your benchmarks again because you have no idea what you're talking about

skylake is AT MOST 30% better in iGPU tests, and less than 10% for the CPU

please don't spread misinformation, idk who told you it was 30% for the CPU, but whoever did is definitely not very smart

Talking about battery life, not performance.

Talking about battery life, not performance.

ah ok

where did you get those numbers

Spoiler

The embargo was lifted 1st of September, all the numbers are out, and almost all partners unveiled their new laptop line-ups.

For example here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9582/intel-skylake-mobile-desktop-launch-architecture-analysis

etc.

yeah I see, thats what intel claims, but where are the real world tests and benchmarks?

Spoiler

Will probably be out in a matter of days.

In anycase physics doesn't lie.

Apart from the architecture's designated power consumption improvements, when you move from 22nm to 14nm process, the improvement in power efficiency will be very substantial.

In CPU intensive tasks or onboard graphics (basically all U-series CPUs) you'll see the biggest impact.

In HQ series which tends to come with discrete GPU it will be less, but still very significant.

Haven't been this excited about a CPU launch since SandyBridge.

Now I'm just waiting for the Pascal architecture to be released.