RAT 5 review

Eyal

I'm using this mouse for gaming, video editing and day to day usage...

Things I liked:

Very useful software!

Nice customization in size.

removable weights

convenient DPI changer

Very good looking.

High quality chassis and rugged, sleeved gold plaited USB connector.

Things I didn't like:

The thumb-rest isn't removable.

There's Plastic in the place you hold the mouse, instead of rubbery coating to prevent the mouse from slipping away.

In gaming there is a noticeable input LAG in moving the mouse, not in the trigger. And for the record I tested this with multiple types of mouse-pads... So I DON'T recommend this mouse for gaming, especially old school shooters.

In some new BIOS there is no way to disable mouse acceleration when using a laser mouse.

The scroll wheel is very stiff, I prefer a lighter scroll wheel for long pages on the web..

When the mouse is in it's 'small mode' the side buttons are too far away from my thumb. might be because I have a large hand and I hold it in fingertip grip (rare mouse griping style, needs a small mouse even for large hand).

Plastic gets dirty fast...

Edit: spelling mistake corrected.

I'm an old shooter and really love my deathadder, I wouldn't get any other mouse than it. The only other mouse that I found good for old school FPS is the Roccat Kone +.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

I'm an old shooter and really love my deathadder, I wouldn't get any other mouse than it. The only other mouse that I found good for old school FPS is the Roccat Kone +.

If I was a palm grip I'd totally get the deathadder... But I'm a fingertip griper...

If I was a palm grip I'd totally get the deathadder... But I'm a fingertip griper...

I'm in between the claw grip and the palm grip, I change depending on what I'm playing.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Nice review, I never liked the look of the Rat mouses, they looked like they were trying to draw in the new pc gamer audience by making something that looks out of the ordinary. 

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Nice review, I never liked the look of the Rat mouses, they looked like they were trying to draw in the new pc gamer audience by making something that looks out of the ordinary.

Thanks, I do like the looks of this mouse a lot, but they have so many things to improve before I could recommend there mice... This mouse has a ton of potential.. Too bad they skimped a lot of things...

I'm in between the claw grip and the palm grip, I change depending on what I'm playing.

I'm playing in fingertip grip.. It's the only way I can hold a mouse comfortably... My friends don't call me an alien for nothing...

Thanks, I do like the looks of this mouse a lot, but they have so many things to improve before I could recommend there mice... This mouse has a ton of potential.. Too bad they skimped a lot of things...

Yeah I just saw one in my local game store for £55 where I can get the 2014 Naga for the same amount

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Yeah I just saw one in my local game store for £55 where I can get the 2014 Naga for the same amount

Wow, I bought it for about that price. And in my country the naga 2013 costs 30% more... But tax rates are insane in my country, so I'm not surprised...

Wow, I bought it for about that price. And in my country the naga 2013 costs 30% more... But tax rates are insane in my country, so I'm not surprised...

I can get 20% off the New Naga because I have the old one, but a brand new Naga full price is about £65 ish

Ive got the rat 7 but i dont have any input lag problems. Ive got no problems at all. Well the PTFE slicks are a bit worn after nearly a year of hardcore usage. You get a palm grip with the rat 7 so it doesnt slip, well it never slipped even with the normal palm rest but the grip version looks better. I do wish it had more buttons. if and when it breaks ill get a logitech g600 so i cant worry abotu not having enough buttons. Eg in fps games i have a grenade as button 5, the furthest behind button but then many games have things such as 2 equipment slots or blacklight which i play a lot as 5.  Btw in your drivers set your wheel to make the volume go up or down. That feature is bloody amazing.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Ive got the rat 7 but i dont have any input lag problems. Ive got no problems at all. Well the PTFE slicks are a bit worn after nearly a year of hardcore usage. You get a palm grip with the rat 7 so it doesnt slip, well it never slipped even with the normal palm rest but the grip version looks better. I do wish it had more buttons. if and when it breaks ill get a logitech g600 so i cant worry abotu not having enough buttons. Eg in fps games i have a grenade as button 5, the furthest behind button but then many games have things such as 2 equipment slots or blacklight which i play a lot as 5.  Btw in your drivers set your wheel to make the volume go up or down. That feature is bloody amazing.

It's great to hear, this might mean my unit is defected... and acceleration drives me crazy in BIOS, that's why I'm not using the mouse in BIOS.

also, I never needed more than the standard + 2 in the side.. But It's mostly because I'm not an MMO player, I believe there's a RAT 7 MMO edition..

I wish there was a smaller mouse.. but that's the smallest gaming mouse in the store... And I can't order it online because shipping a mouse will cost $50 minimum..

It's great to hear, this might mean my unit is defected... and acceleration drives me crazy in BIOS, that's why I'm not using the mouse in BIOS.

also, I never needed more than the standard + 2 in the side.. But It's mostly because I'm not an MMO player, I believe there's a RAT 7 MMO edition..

I wish there was a smaller mouse.. but that's the smallest gaming mouse in the store... And I can't order it online because shipping a mouse will cost $50 minimum..

The mmo edition has some major flaws with worse build quality some people will be fine will others will not have a mouse for long. If i needed a mouse with many button then the logitech g600 beats out everything by far.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1