Building a VPN for school

cadabri

Okay, so I was wondering what the best method for building a VPN would be in my case. My school blocks gaming and such and most of the free VPN services do not have enough bandwidth/slow it down to an unusable point for downloading games so I was wondering if any of the routers I already own would be able to do this, Or if I would have to build a cheap PC to do this. My router situation is an uncommon one, due to my parents owning a business, so we have both a netgear, and checkbox system, but we also have a bunch of other routers around in the house, not in use. Are any of these able to do a VPN, or do I have to build a PC for it, if I do, what software do I need to use? Thanks!

*Update* This is a boarding school that I go to. Also, If I have to build a PC, It would preferably be linux or some other free OS.

Don't play games at school D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I just VNC to my home computer and do everything there. My laptop is basically just a remote at school.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Should have put this, Its a boarding school!

Aaaah...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Don't play games at school D:

Not to sound aggressive, but shutup.

Idk how old you are, op, but I was in 8th grade last year and my school just got laptops and online games were blocked and it sucked and yeah. So I get it. What you have to understand, is that the reason why you want to play play games is because you can't have them, so when you do use them, you'll probably want them less than you think.

http://www.howtogeek.com/221001/how-to-set-up-your-own-home-vpn-server/

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/set-up-a-personal-windows-vpn.htm

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Yeah, but will this work with 10? And what about linux because that is what I would preferably be using with a pc, since i wouldnt want to spend half the budget on a os

The instructions should be the same for Windows 10. Linux probably has some different options. Using your computer as a VPN shouldn't slow it down unless it's being used as a VPN (You'll be at school when it is anyway)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Idk how old you are, op, but I was in 8th grade last year and my school just got laptops and online games were blocked and it sucked and yeah. So I get it. What you have to understand, is that the reason why you want to play play games is because you can't have them, so when you do use them, you'll probably want them less than you think.

No, I dont think you noticed the update, I am a junior at a boarding school, therefore it is not that I cant have it, But the fact that I dont like to waist my data on my phone, as to download a 60 gig game, it would cost ~600 dollars to download a game

Now that he mentioned he's in a boarding school it makes sense.

Otherwise, if you spend 7-8 hours at school/day , and have like 1 hour of using a computer every day like I do ( there's a one day with 2 hours, and another one with 3) , it's not ok to play games when you should actually be learning.

Now that he mentioned he's in a boarding school it makes sense.

Otherwise, if you spend 7-8 hours at school/day , and have like 1 hour of using a computer every day like I do ( there's a one day with 2 hours, and another one with 3) , it's not ok to play games when you should actually be learning.

Right, but kids don't always care that much about morals.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Right, but kids don't always care that much about morals.

It's not about morals, it's about yourself.

You know, your network admin can see everything you do right? and will get an automated report that your using a large amount of data.

If your school uses SSL Inspection, I really mean everything. otherwise they can see the DNS lookup/public IP address of the VPN, and that it is using x amount of bandwidth over y period of days.

To be honest, they won't care if one person does this, however if word gets out and everyone starts doing this don't expect to be able to do this for very long. 

Also be prepared to be on the list of high usage users, unless teachers have less restricted access, then your fine.

You know, your network admin can see everything you do right? and will get an automated report that your using a large amount of data.

If your school uses SSL Inspection, I really mean everything. otherwise they can see the DNS lookup/public IP address of the VPN, and that it is using x amount of bandwidth over y period of days.

To be honest, they won't care if one person does this, however if word gets out and everyone starts doing this don't expect to be able to do this for very long. 

Also be prepared to be on the list of high usage users, unless teachers have less restricted access, then your fine.

people download lots of stuff already, and people use other vpns. Plus these are not school computers and wont be able to easily tell who is using them.