1000euro // best possible gaming build

Lol 30-40% oc? screenshots? link plz  :D

I used a synthetic i5/Xeon/i7 for my testing  (my 5930K, I actually thought a 4690K was 3.3Ghz Baseclock, its not its 3.5 - so yes my results were based on a 200Mhz downclock on the Xeon, but also I only overclocked to 4.4Ghz so should be fairly equal [i am aware its not perfect]). But most 4690Ks do 4.5 or 4.6Ghz. A lot are doing 4.7/4.8 Even.

Source Here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club

And at 4.6Ghz thats a 31.7% overclock if my mental maths is right (and most of the chips there are doing it). Especially as Haswell overclocking has MASSIVELY improved in recent steppings (of HSW-E at least so I imagine Haswell is similar)

But even so 4.6 isnt exactly beastly, and shouldnt require that much cooling. Hence IMO its a better value proposition. And we cant discount how powerful quicksync is (Though I can't test it). Handbrake and OBS support it so it *should* be decent,

I would also question the 4790K, its barely that much more expensive now for X99 and if you are doing that much threaded workloads its well worth the £40 price premium (last time I checked, but ofc this fluctuates)

Skylake i5 and a 380... okey dokey matey. Think you ought to go home. I'll call you a cab.

Thanks m8, I'll be fine. I don't understand what's wrong. 380 is fine GPU, and he can always swap that card with a better one.

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

Skylake i5 and a 380... okey dokey matey. Think you ought to go home. I'll call you a cab.

meh Skylake has its advantages (Though only really in disk IO), the Better GPU is nice, but broadwell still has a better iGPU. Actually that could be a fun one for the OP. The i5-5675C if Quicksync is good for streaming (I dont actually know if it is or isnt, but if OBS has the option I assume it isnt total trash - and it works nicely on handbrake)

The iGPU you're not going to be using if you're gaming... plus, the performance increase over haswell isn't really great enough to justify the GPU sacrifice from a 390 to a 380 IMO. Esp when you can even go with that xeon at that price point, which yes, in gaming, isn't going to have much performance increase over that i5, but that's because the xeon's benefit is the additional threads. Not better single core performance, and not many games can utilise more than 4 threads nowadays hence why the only difference you'd see in the results of tests with them between the xeon and the i5 would be down to the increased single core performance (which is where your testing methodology's gone wrong, Elfeugo, I'd have to guess considering you've supplied no evidence of these tests, how they were done and with what software). Start streaming and doing other things at the same time, though, and you'll see a difference, because you'll have extra threads to handle it. With the i5, it's not got such privileges. 

You'd think people here'd know this, it's a tech forum for crying out loud. Sheesh. 

EDIT: Sorry for the sass (lel), bit tired.

Meow meow meow meow hiss meow purr.

Translation: what am I doing here?

• 3 weeks later...

The iGPU you're not going to be using if you're gaming... plus, the performance increase over haswell isn't really great enough to justify the GPU sacrifice from a 390 to a 380 IMO. Esp when you can even go with that xeon at that price point, which yes, in gaming, isn't going to have much performance increase over that i5, but that's because the xeon's benefit is the additional threads. Not better single core performance, and not many games can utilise more than 4 threads nowadays hence why the only difference you'd see in the results of tests with them between the xeon and the i5 would be down to the increased single core performance (which is where your testing methodology's gone wrong, Elfeugo, I'd have to guess considering you've supplied no evidence of these tests, how they were done and with what software). Start streaming and doing other things at the same time, though, and you'll see a difference, because you'll have extra threads to handle it. With the i5, it's not got such privileges. 

You'd think people here'd know this, it's a tech forum for crying out loud. Sheesh. 

EDIT: Sorry for the sass (lel), bit tired.

No; but you can use the iGPU for stream encoding rather than the gaming side. I have a massive writeup; but I don't really feel like posting a 55 page+ analysis of power consumption; clock speed, Vcore and performance; so I just averaged the relevant results.

And yes I stated that I was benchmarking per core performance (through a range of tests, from stuff like Unigene/Cinebench to actually a variety of games and some server applications (that do scale with core count/hyper threading). But I didn't include the server based testing in the result (I wrote this study for work; where I was evaluating what hardware to buy).