Brand New XFX r9 390 Throttling, I think....but why? IDK

Hey guys,

So I have just bought a brand newicon1.png XFX r9 390 (non x) gpu. I have installed it along with an ssd in an attempt to upgrade my system a wee bit. 

I seem to have a severe throttling issue with the GPU though, it will fluctuate from 0%-100% every few seconds or more, but it is constantly doing it during games and benchmarks.

When I have ran the default FireStrike in 3DMark, during the first two graphics tests, I get 100% usage all the time, but; during the combined test I get the crazy fluctuation with the GPU usage, CPU only reaches about 60% but does not fluctuate too much.

I also only seem to be able to reach mid 50fps average in the first graphics test and 40ish for the second, which I thought was quite low for the standard 1080p test?

So far I have uninstalled and reinstated the latest drivers from AMD about 3 times, updated my mobo BIOS and removed any overclocks on my CPU, just incase.

I am at a loss why this is happening as everything is now stock, all temps are fine, <68C for GPU, CPU temps are also good (cooling with NH-D14)

This happens in gamesicon1.png also, I have tried ARMA, war thunder, GTA5 & World of Warships. I also have a fresh install of windows 8.1 on my ssd.

Here is a screen shot of the GPU usage during the combined test, sometimes its worse sometimes its the same as below, but its constantly doing it, even in games.

3dmark.png

Be great if you guys could give me some tips on solving the issue, my specs are listed below.

FX- 8350,
XFX r9 390,
ASRock 990fx extreme4 mobo
750W corsair HX750i power supply
16gb corsair vengance RAM,
Samsung 850 evo SSD
2tb HD
Fractal Design R5 Case.

Best Regards

xJaffaCake

CPU - FX-8350 / GPU - r9 390 / RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance / Storage - Samsung Evo 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD / Case - Fractal Design R5 / PSU - Corsair HX750i / MOBO - ASRock Extreme4

Definitely way below the max temp, I suspect a faulty GPU since you tried almost all there is to try, I'd request an RMA. The only other thing I can think of is insufficient power delivery but not because of not enough power but more because of an issue with the PSU so if you can at all try on another system check that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Do you get the same issues in something like BF4? 

That games uses multiple cores very well, and if it happens there as well, you can pretty much rule out CPU bottlenecking. However, if it doesn't happen there, and the CPU usage goes higher than other games, then the CPU is bottlenecking, most likely.

Thanks for the fast reply guys :D

I forgot to mention that the power supply is also brand new and I was having the same issue with the older power supply, I upgraded the power because I thought my cheaper one was causing the issue..how wrong was I xD

Unfortunately I do not own BF4 (I know, shame on me) Are there other games that would be best to try? To list a hand full of "popular" games I own are; Bioshock Infinite, Metro last light, Insurgency, Far Cry 3, A few Total Wars, project Cars, Payday2, Chivalry ect....

CPU - FX-8350 / GPU - r9 390 / RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance / Storage - Samsung Evo 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD / Case - Fractal Design R5 / PSU - Corsair HX750i / MOBO - ASRock Extreme4

Thanks for the fast reply guys :D

I forgot to mention that the power supply is also brand new and I was having the same issue with the older power supply, I upgraded the power because I thought my cheaper one was causing the issue..how wrong was I xD

Unfortunately I do not own BF4 (I know, shame on me) Are there other games that would be best to try? To list a hand full of "popular" games I own are; Bioshock Infinite, Metro last light, Insurgency, Far Cry 3, A few Total Wars, project Cars, Payday2, Chivalry ect....

You can try BF4 for free for like a week so just go ahead and download it.

Look what the gpu clock is during games, is it constant or does it fluctuate?

Also try increasing the max power usage for the gpu and try if that helps.

The gpu clock does fluctuate with the usage, I don't think I have yet to see it go above 1000mhz :( What does this mean?

My prev card was a R7850 and that never used to fluctuate the GPU clock, so I haven't experienced this before.

Is it worth trying the Beta drivers?

So, after trying insurgency this is the result from MSI Afterburner...

I know I used to get quite a stable fps in this game from my old 7850, i think it was around 80fps, where as now its just all over the place. Please someone tell me if this is not normal?

gpu usage,

gpu%20usage%20after%20insurgency.png

gpu mhz

mhx%20clock%20after%20insurgency.png

Is it also normal for this to happen at idle? Memory clock fluctuating every half a sec or so.;

memory%20clock.png

Thanks

Ok another update, I have taken the advice from Osshino Shinobu and Minzo and trialed BF4 for the 7 days, here are the results...

gpu%20performance%20BF4.png

As you can see the usage is much better, with only the occasional drops to 50-60%

So is this just a case of a bottleneck in some games?