Is A FX-8320 Necessary?

I'm building a PC and my family will on build it if this computer will last 4 years. I like the idea of 8 cores but is it needed for gaming and general computer work. Also how much RAM should I have. Now in my future build I have 8 gb. I don't care if I choose an Intel CPU. When I get a new GPU it will be a 7870 or a new 9xxx series cards. I don't see a bottleneck with the 8 core. Thanks everyone for any responses. Have a good day.

If you want to see the build it is here.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1pLUK

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Yes 8-core CPU is most future proof.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

looks good the only thing I would change is the power supply. The xfx 550w is a better unit internally and is on sale for $30 atm http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

8320 is a great choice, and with the new consloles being 8 core in 2 years games are going to be more heavily multi threaded  and as multi threading improves the 6 and 8 core cpu's will perform better and better in games.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

You should invest in an SSD for your build, it will make a gigantic difference. Also you can easily get by with a 500w psu.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

First off amd cores do not equal intel cores, second most games are not optimized for multi treading/cores so you are more likely to see a bottleneck with an 8 core 3820 than something like a 4670k which is a four core. The only exceptions to this is things like streaming ect which make use of those extra cores. I would go with 8 gb ram. As posted above there is the issue of future proofing however there is no guarantee that even with the new consoles having more cores that 4+ core support will become mainstream any time soon.

Looks like a nice build though, nothing that really needs to be changed
oh and i second the recomendation to get an ssd.

If you're conserned about gaming, don't worry about it. 8 cores won't benefit you that much in terms of gaming and general computer work alone. A lot of games today don't take advantage of more than a few cores. A lot of people use quad core i5 processors for gaming and they get similar results.

For RAM try and get at least 8GB of RAM at a frequency of 1600Mhz or higher.

RAM frequency isn't important for his use case, he wouldn't notice a difference between 1333mhz and something like 2800mhz. He should just get the cheapest he can find, it's all the same.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

RAM frequency isn't important for his use case, he wouldn't notice a difference between 1333mhz and something like 2800mhz. He should just get the cheapest he can find, it's all the same.

That is true, RAM frequency isn't really that important in terms of gaming but being an enthusiast I would at least stretch to 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz as it isn't that much more expensive and i've heard that those speeds do give performance advantages for some applications.

If your conserned about gaming, don't worry about it. 8 cores won't benefit you that much in terms of gaming and general computer work alone. A lot of games today don't take advantage of more than a few cores. A lot of people use quad core i5 processors for gaming and they get similar results.

When you build a gaming PC, you do not build for now, you build for the future. 

Games will use a lot of cores in the future due to the consoles having 8 CPU cores and being AMD. 

As for the RAM, he has just that. 8GB of 1600MHz. 

You'll want an SSD.

This.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

When you build a gaming PC, you do not build for now, you build for the future. 

Games will use a lot of cores in the future due to the consoles having 8 CPU cores and being AMD. 

As for the RAM, he has just that. 8GB of 1600MHz. 

This.

Fair point, I always encourage people to build a system that is a bit more powerfull for their needs and therefore "future proof"

I was just stating the minimum that someone should look for when building a gaming pc today.

Well I don't have a internal HDD for av, drivers and other stuff. I would think that having those on a ssd will use reads and writes. If not I will add one. Thanks everyone for the fast replies.

Edit what about a fx-8350 or do I just oc a 8320

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Well I don't have a internal HDD for av, drivers and other stuff. I would think that having those on a ssd will use reads and writes. If not I will add one. Thanks everyone for the fast replies.

Edit what about a fx-8350 or do I just oc a 8320

8320 is ok, 8350 is just OCed from 8320. Get the 8350 because future game will need more core, as you can see in ps4 and xbox one, which is using AMD's 8-core Jaguar. It shows that future game need more core. 

I would get an 8320, future proof and would help with games and programs being optimized for 8 cores in the future.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Just about any properly speced pc that you spend good money on can easily last that long.

Fair point, I always encourage people to build a system that is a bit more powerfull for their needs and therefore "future proof"

I was just stating the minimum that someone should look for when building a gaming pc today.

screw future proofing, buy the best u could afford - meaning don't sell your house to buy a computer, but get the best one u can get :D

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me