External DVD drive causes boot issue!

IAmPitchBlack
Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

I updated the bios from 2405 to 2407 but that didn't seem to help. Is there anything else I should update from the driver list? I wasn't a 100% sure what each of the different drivers did and I didn't want to risk bricking my board...

Don't worry, the worst that could happen by installing a wrong driver is a broken Windows install, and you can fix that by reinstalling Windows.

Anyway, this is probably a compatibility issue with the BIOS and the optical drive. There's nothing that can be done except wait for a new BIOS release to come out and hope that it fixes the problem.

So I've run into an interesting issue, my computer refuses to start when I have my external DVD drive plugged in, but as soon as it is unplugged it boots right up. I really don't know why this is happening and I can't see, to find help from past forums here and on other sites. Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening?

Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jJBTcf

items plugged in through usb:

Topping VX1 Digital to Audio Converter

WASD 87-key mechanical keyboard

logictech g502

Rosewell RNX-AC1200UBE

Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Hub (Nothing is plugged into the hub)

and the drive causing the issues: Chuanganzhuo external dvd drive

Any ideas that could help fix the drive would help immensely! 

Have you checked in your bios to see if it is set to be your first boot option?

change the boot order so that boot drive is before the dvd drive in the bios

Current Rig

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0ghz MOBO: MSI Z87m-G45 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v GPU: MSI R9 270x PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Case: Corsair Air 240 (modded) SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb HDD: Samsung 1tb Apple Hard Drive Mouse: Razer Naga 2014

Have you checked in your bios to see if it is set to be your first boot option?

I did check that, I actually disabled it from booting entirely and it still isn't working

So I've run into an interesting issue, my computer refuses to start when I have my external DVD drive plugged in, but as soon as it is unplugged it boots right up. I really don't know why this is happening and I can't see, to find help from past forums here and on other sites. Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening?

Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jJBTcf

items plugged in through usb:

Topping VX1 Digital to Audio Converter

WASD 87-key mechanical keyboard

logictech g502

Rosewell RNX-AC1200UBE

Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Hub (Nothing is plugged into the hub)

and the drive causing the issues: Chuanganzhuo external dvd drive

Any ideas that could help fix the drive would help immensely! 

Probably a BIOS issue. I have had issues with certain Phoenix BIOSs which would refuse to POST with my external hard drive connected. My solution was to just remember to unplug the drive before booting.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Probably a BIOS issue. I have had issues with certain Phoenix BIOSs which would refuse to POST with my external hard drive connected. My solution was to just remember to unplug the drive before booting.

So far that is what I have been doing. I'd rather not though if i didn't have to

I updated the bios from 2405 to 2407 but that didn't seem to help. Is there anything else I should update from the driver list? I wasn't a 100% sure what each of the different drivers did and I didn't want to risk bricking my board...

Don't worry, the worst that could happen by installing a wrong driver is a broken Windows install, and you can fix that by reinstalling Windows.

Anyway, this is probably a compatibility issue with the BIOS and the optical drive. There's nothing that can be done except wait for a new BIOS release to come out and hope that it fixes the problem.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Alright, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!