Windows on Macbook Pro

theereal

So my buddy, (against my will) bought himself a Macbook Pro, he decided he wanted to do some light gaming on it, and i have personally never done this kinda stuff, but how do you install Windows on a Mac? He doesent want to uninstall OSX, he wants to be able to switch between them.

You "need" to use Boot Camp to install Windows onto it while retaining the Mac OS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Bootcamp is the only way.
My suggestion to newly install osx so that the osx would take as little hdd space as possible. Prepare your macbook for bootcamp(download drivers and so on) and install from disk or usb. In my situation only disk worked and osx took about 15GB of space.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

You can either use bootcamp which installs Windows on a new partition and you can switch between the both on bootup,

or you can use software like Parallels to make OSX and Windows run side by side, so you can actively switch between the both with a four-finger-swipe.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

So my buddy, (against my will) bought himself a Macbook Pro, he decided he wanted to do some light gaming on it, and i have personally never done this kinda stuff, but how do you install Windows on a Mac? He doesent want to uninstall OSX, he wants to be able to switch between them.

Open spotlight and type in boot, click on boot camp assistant, follow the instructions on screen, boot camp will download an iso for windows 7 I believe then you will have to mount it to a USB or Install it right away, I recommend selecting more storage for the windows partition since it only comes by default with enough for the OS and very few programs.

bootcamp, but that said, do his games work on mac? because i've seen some semi-decent gaming performance on macbooks running OSX.

Bootcamp is the way to go. Parallels or VMware Fusion are tools to make virtual machines, their performance for running Windows will be a lot less than running Windows via Bootcamp.

However keep in mind that the Macbook Pros, especially the retina models, should have a cooling pad beneath them or good airflow/ventilation if your friend is going to be playing games.  Otherwise it heats up quite fast and the machine will throttle down.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You may already gotten your answer but I want to be helpful and say BootCamp ☺

King of Off Topic.

Windows on Mac, love it. Bootcamp FTW

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |