Graphics Cards Possibly Throttling but Cold Temperatures?

KBuckets

Hello!

I recently put together a new PC with a 4790K, MSI Z97 XPower AC motherboard, 16GB (4x4GB) of 2133MHz C8 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM, two XFX R9 390Xs (both watercooled), AX1500i, and a Samsung SM951 SSD.

My problem is that whenever I play a game for more than 5-10 minutes (depending on the game), the FPS suddenly drops to 10-ish, or even more depending on how intensive the game is. It seems a lot like thermal throttling, but both 390Xs never exceed 51C?! CPU is also at 41C max load.

I am using a Samsung SM951 SSD which is known to get hot (hence the 2,150 MB/s speeds) but I have confirmed that it maxes out at 43C, well below the throttle point of 82C.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? Kinda sucks I spent $850 on graphics and my old 660 Tis can outperform them after 5 minutes ;(

Thank you so much!!

I doubt it is the GPU's, what do your ram usages read to after the 5-10 minutes?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Can you check your clock speeds while playing some games? Does it occur in every game?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hello!

I recently put together a new PC with a 4790K, MSI Z97 XPower AC motherboard, 16GB (4x4GB) of 2133MHz C8 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM, two XFX R9 390Xs (both watercooled), AX1500i, and a Samsung SM951 SSD.

My problem is that whenever I play a game for more than 5-10 minutes (depending on the game), the FPS suddenly drops to 10-ish, or even more depending on how intensive the game is. It seems a lot like thermal throttling, but both 390Xs never exceed 51C?! CPU is also at 41C max load.

I am using a Samsung SM951 SSD which is known to get hot (hence the 2,150 MB/s speeds) but I have confirmed that it maxes out at 43C, well below the throttle point of 82C.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong? Kinda sucks I spent $850 on graphics and my old 660 Tis can outperform them after 5 minutes ;(

Thank you so much!!

afterburner will monitor gpu usages and limits to tell you if it is throttling

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Use GPU-Z and look at your frequencies (core and memory) when you're in-game.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Can you check your clock speeds while playing some games? Does it occur in every game?

I doubt it is the GPU's, what do your ram usages read to after the 5-10 minutes?

Will check! What kind of software could I use to record clock speeds? I know I could exit out of the game but I don't want to risk lowering clock speeds while doing so. Thank you very much!

Also Godlygamer23 yes it does occur in every game.

Will check! What kind of software could I use to record RAM usage and clock speeds? I know I could exit out of the game but I don't want to risk lowering any clock speeds or RAM usage while doing so. Thank you very much!

Windows Task manager shows your RAM Usage, not sure about clock speeds however.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Will check! What kind of software could I use to record RAM usage and clock speeds? I know I could exit out of the game but I don't want to risk lowering any clock speeds or RAM usage while doing so. Thank you very much!

You can alt-tab out of games and launch Task Manager. In addition, you could use MSI Afterburner, enable the on-screen display function for GPU clocks, RAM usage, etc and it should display in-game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Windows Task manager shows your RAM Usage, not sure about clock speeds however.

You can alt-tab out of games and launch Task Manager. In addition, you could use MSI Afterburner, enable the on-screen display function for GPU clocks, RAM usage, etc and it should display in-game.

Thank you very much guys! Will report back soon!

It seems as though installing MSI Afterburner has fixed all of those problems??

I am having no problems anymore after installing it anymore, haha!  :)

My clocks are stable at 1050 MHz and 1500MHz for the memory, and RAM usage rarely goes above 5 GB.

I think I had some bad config files that were making the GPUs do weird things from a previous installation of Afterburner, and I think this recent download fixed it.

Thank you guys for getting me to install it!